PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Update indicator in panel?

haapsalu_sall
April 11th, 2011, 04:19 PM
Mint has an update indicator on their panel which I find makes remembering updates easy. I've searched here and online, as well as the Synaptic Package Manager and saw a freepops-updater-gnome, but I'm not sure and can't find what this does.

Bottom line -- is there an update indicator I can install on the panel?

Thanks.

Enigmapond
April 11th, 2011, 04:22 PM
You can just set the Update Manager to show you when there's updates. It won't show unless there are updates. This can be set in the Settings.

haapsalu_sall
April 11th, 2011, 05:14 PM
Could you tell me please where to find settings?

Enigmapond
April 11th, 2011, 05:18 PM
Sure.. System/Administration/Update Manager/Settings (lower left corner)/Updates.

mcduck
April 11th, 2011, 05:49 PM
Sure.. System/Administration/Update Manager/Settings (lower left corner)/Updates.

I'm pretty sure that doesn't change the Update Manager back to old behavior of showing a notification icon instead of popping up the whole update manager window when updates are available.

The only way I know to change this is by opening gconf-editor and disabling the apps/update-notifier/auto_launch .key.

Enigmapond
April 11th, 2011, 05:58 PM
I'm pretty sure that doesn't change the Update Manager back to old behavior of showing a notification icon instead of popping up the whole update manager window when updates are available.

The only way I know to change this is by opening gconf-editor and disabling the apps/update-notifier/auto_launch .key.

This is not true as I have mine set to show when updates are available. It is not there when there are none but when there is, the icon will appear and the Manager won't appear until the icon is clicked. So I was instructing based on how I have mine set up which works very well.

Perfect Storm
April 11th, 2011, 06:16 PM
Moved to Other OS/Distro Talk

haapsalu_sall
April 11th, 2011, 10:26 PM
Sorry for the novice questions. What do I do to get the updates to show? I've gone to System Sources and have it set for updates. Is there some place there that I need to click on? I had updates waiting for me today when I was doing something else that I didn't know about.

mcduck
April 12th, 2011, 12:32 PM
This is not true as I have mine set to show when updates are available. It is not there when there are none but when there is, the icon will appear and the Manager won't appear until the icon is clicked. So I was instructing based on how I have mine set up which works very well.

There are only three options, none of which should have anything to do with the method used for informing users about available updates.

Instead they allow you to switch between automatically installing security updates, downloading updates in background or notifying about them. "Only notify about available updates" is the default setting anyway, and without changing the gconf key should use the default method of notifying about them, which is popping up the Update Manager (max once per seven days by default, unless there are security updates) window instead of showing a notification icon.

I'm not sure if the method for notifying about them was already changed in 10.04 (which you are running based on your profile), but those options really have nothing to do with it. Perhaps 10.04 still sued the old notification mechanism (I can't remember any more), you have at some point changed the gconf key, or are running a system upgraded from older Ubuntu version.

mcduck
April 12th, 2011, 12:33 PM
Sorry for the novice questions. What do I do to get the updates to show? I've gone to System Sources and have it set for updates. Is there some place there that I need to click on? I had updates waiting for me today when I was doing something else that I didn't know about.

Did you try doing what I suggested and changing the gconf key?

Press Alt-F2, run gconf-editor, browse to apps/update-notifier and disable the auto_launch -key.

haapsalu_sall
April 12th, 2011, 01:42 PM
Would you tell me how to do that please?

frankbooth
April 12th, 2011, 01:48 PM
either follow mcduck's instructions or open a terminal and write:

gconftool -s --type bool /apps/update-notifier/auto_launch false

haapsalu_sall
April 12th, 2011, 02:02 PM
Thanks. I've done something about this right, because I did have an update menu pop up on its own (I didn't have to go looking for it).

haapsalu_sall
April 12th, 2011, 02:10 PM
One last question. While I have added solved to 3 other threads, now, for some reason, I can't find where I add that. Could someone pleeease tell me?? (Grrrr at myself).

Elfy
April 12th, 2011, 02:43 PM
Normally it would be in the thread tools at the top.

It could possibly be down to the way thsi sub-forum is set up.

I've asked.

Joeb454
April 12th, 2011, 03:29 PM
Normally it would be in the thread tools at the top.

It could possibly be down to the way thsi sub-forum is set up.

I've asked.

It should be there now

Elfy
April 12th, 2011, 05:15 PM
Thank you Joeb454 (http://ubuntuforums.org/member.php?u=324421)