PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Can't get passed the "Who are you ?" screen

UBudell
April 11th, 2011, 02:02 PM
I just met someone I know three days ago who converted to Ubunto after yeeeaaars of using Windows only, and he was quite happy about it. He managed to convince me about installing it too.
I was going through the installation for Ubunto 10.10 but can't get passed the "Who are you?" screen even though I try repeatedly. I filled in all the details but the "Forward" button won't highlight for me to move on. I was doing the installation without being online (mentioning that in case it makes any difference). Please help me !

Grenage
April 11th, 2011, 02:06 PM
I don't think user names support uppercase letters, are you using them?

fela
April 11th, 2011, 02:10 PM
Please tell us exactly what is in each of the boxes (except password, obviously).

Also, are you *sure* there aren't any errors to do with the password?

bfmetcalf
April 11th, 2011, 02:26 PM
The biggest problem I see with this part of the installation is the no uppercase letters in the username (and possibly the computer name, not sure). Best thing is to only use uppercase letters in password.

UBudell
April 11th, 2011, 03:00 PM
Yes ! That was it.....I was using upper case on userid. Its OK now, I managed to complete the installation and in fact am accessing net and communicating through Ubunto. My friend did mention about how 'the community really helped him' .....Thanks !!

Grenage
April 11th, 2011, 03:01 PM
Yes ! That was it.....I was using upper case on userid. Its OK now, I managed to complete the installation and in fact am accessing net and communicating through Ubunto. My friend did mention about how 'the community really helped him' .....Thanks !!

;)

It should be written clearly, on the setup page; it's caught plenty of people out.

gdrumm
August 31st, 2011, 04:52 AM
Also make sure you don't have any other characters in the login name, such as firstname.lastname. Just figured this out about 3 minutes ago.

GLD