PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Help Installing on clean harddrive

Keybo
April 11th, 2011, 12:26 PM
I just wiped my harddrive clean and I am completely new to Ubuntu or anything like that.
What I want is to Dual boot Windows 7 and Ubuntu and share data between them like Firefox history and favorites and I want to share documents.
But I have no clue how to do it to take out the best of both OS's.
I searched the internet and what I found was outdated guides or guides where Win7 is already installed. And I found like a million different answers all saying somthing else.
But like I said I have absolutely no knowledge on Partitioning.

Here is what I have:
Computer Specs
- CPU 2.2GHz Dual Core
- 4 GB ddr2 ram
- Harddrive 300 GB
- 300 GB (Unnallocated)

Others
- USB with Ubuntu 10.10
- DVD Windows 7 Home Premium

creeco
April 11th, 2011, 12:31 PM
The easiest way to dual boot is to install windows first, and THEN install ubuntu from the CD. After you have done this you will need to acess your windows folders from inside ubuntu (which is really easy), doing that the other way around is abit harder since ubuntu and windows use different file systems.

So you wont get a seamless integration, no matter what. But you can definately acess your files.

Keybo
April 11th, 2011, 12:34 PM
What is the best way to install windows 7 so its open to Ubuntu?
I read somthing about reserved space thatwindows uses?

creeco
April 11th, 2011, 12:38 PM
Ehm. Windows reserves space for hibernation files and such. You dont need to acess this. Just install both normally, im 180% certain that ubuntu can acess you files. Unless you encrypt your HDD from windows, its a cakewalk to get it to work.

So, just to make it clear. Its almost impossible to install windows so it is "closed" for ubuntu.

Keybo
April 11th, 2011, 12:42 PM
So after I installed windows 7 on 20gb partition whats the next step?

Joe of loath
April 11th, 2011, 01:19 PM
You'll want a partition bigger than 20gb for Windows 7. It's a major drive space hogger.

Keybo
April 11th, 2011, 01:38 PM
Ah so with A 300gb space and two OS's I could do it like this?
100GB - Windows
100GB - Ubuntu
100GB - Storage

Also How should Ubuntu be partitioned? multiple logicals or primary?