PDA

View Full Version : I was prepared to hate Ubuntu 11.04

Supergoo
April 11th, 2011, 11:30 AM
When I started with Linux I started with Ubuntu, because it was the only Linux that worked for me. I been using Ubuntu since Warthog. I have tried other Distros, only to return back to Ubuntu. I tested the early version of Unity and hated it. So I went distro hopping and while there are a lot of great Distros, none seemed just right for me. So fast forward to last night and I downloaded the the Beta of 11.04 and tried it again fearing the worst, just knowing I was going to hate it. I tried Unity first and still did not like it. So I logged out and tried the Ubuntu Classic and found I liked it, sure it was a little different, but I liked how it worked. I then started to play with it and found I liked a lot of the little things that was added. I found that I felt right at home again. So I must say I like Natty. I should have known better, :D

So its back home with Ubuntu for me. All I can say is thanks to Canonical and the hardworking Developers.

inobe
April 11th, 2011, 11:58 AM
nothing like a tweaked debian base and kde, thanks so much conanical, brilliant work ;D

ikt
April 11th, 2011, 02:31 PM
nothing like a tweaked debian base and kde, thanks so much conanical, brilliant work ;D

It's a bit more than that, debian won't even install for me: http://forums.overclockers.com.au/showthread.php?t=951980

kostageas
April 11th, 2011, 04:16 PM
10.04 is the only version that actually boots on my laptop, so I probably won't use it, nor any other ubuntu release, until the devs get it working on my machine.

ctrlmd
April 11th, 2011, 04:18 PM
im afraid you're going to be prepared again for the hate in 11.10
http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2011/04/banshee-2-0-released-new-features-fixes-and-more/

im already disliking both 11.04 & gnome 3 after been 2 years gnome user good thing there is always an option :popcorn:
i might come back when 11.10 released

samalex
April 11th, 2011, 04:38 PM
I'm happy with Ubuntu 10.04 Desktop, but if I do reload Linux I'll probably go with either XUbuntu 11.04 with Xfce or possibly move to a different distro like Linux Mint Xfce.

Supergoo
April 11th, 2011, 05:30 PM
Well crap I see that they are going to stop with the classic desktop in 11.10. I wonder why Unity is being pushed so hard ? Well I think I going to move to Fedora and Gnome 3. I know I could just install my DE of choice, but I think it is time to look at Fedora for a bit and check out Ubuntu later once things settle down. I hope for the best in Ubuntu and good luck.

aaaantoine
April 11th, 2011, 07:09 PM
Unity is "being pushed so hard" because the alternative is Gnome Shell.

Gnome Classic will require a greater deal of maintenance going forward, as the Gnome Foundation is dropping support for a lot of its key components. Namely: the panel, bonobo applets, and old notification system.

Canonical doesn't like Gnome Shell for whatever reason, and besides that they've already poured resources into Unity (back when it was originally called Netbook Remix). One of the plus sides of using Unity over Gnome Shell is that Canonical were allowed the freedom to utilize the much smoother and better-optimized Compiz compositor instead of the rough-around-the-edges Mutter.

mamamia88
April 11th, 2011, 08:04 PM
you must not be using nvidia propietary drivers

screaminj3sus
April 11th, 2011, 08:05 PM
Unity is "being pushed so hard" because the alternative is Gnome Shell.

Gnome Classic will require a greater deal of maintenance going forward, as the Gnome Foundation is dropping support for a lot of its key components. Namely: the panel, bonobo applets, and old notification system.

Canonical doesn't like Gnome Shell for whatever reason, and besides that they've already poured resources into Unity (back when it was originally called Netbook Remix). One of the plus sides of using Unity over Gnome Shell is that Canonical were allowed the freedom to utilize the much smoother and better-optimized Compiz compositor instead of the rough-around-the-edges Mutter.

I used to hate mutter because it was incredibly slow (but last time I had tried it was ages ago), but last night I tried the gnome 3 fedora live cd on my ati hd2600 and mutter ran very well, Even smoother than compiz!

I recommend anyone that hasn't tried gnome shell recently download the live cd and try it again, it is massively improved. I was prepared to hate it and was pretty impressed.

I also absolutely loved how well empathy is integrated with gnome 3. Just a pleasure to use.

The main thing I don't like in gnome shell and unity is the launcher (not the dock, but the main launcher that has all the icons in fullscreen) Its a good idea for touchpads, but menus are so much faster on a regular pc. Also gnome 3's new theme is gorgeous, but mother of god there is way to much padding. Rhythmbox looks like some kind of sick joke, the toolbars take up almost half the damn window!.

Artemis3
April 11th, 2011, 08:43 PM
Please remember this, the decision to remove "Gnome Classic" does not lie with Canonical, but Gnome developers themselves. So distro hopping based on that, is very pointless. Of course, if you DO like Gnome Shell, you can install that in Ubuntu, or use another distro (eg Mint).

I do think XFCE can achieve the role of a "Classic Desktop" experience very good. With XFCE 4.8, Thunar can finally mount remote shares just like Nautilus (file managers). And XFCE can do compositing too ^^

Gnome developers want to change the whole desktop experience, Canonical didn't like it, and rushed a half made replacement originally intended for tablets; the result is people looking for alternatives, including KDE and XFCE; interestingly enough, there is a KDE3 fork called Trinity which could also fill your needs, and i have always waited for e17; and there is LXDE too.

godhika
April 11th, 2011, 08:57 PM
Gnome developers want to change the whole desktop experience, Canonical didn't like it, and rushed a half made replacement originally intended for tablets

I see people making that claim over and over again which is flatout wrong. Sabdfl said on numerous occasions that Unity was NEVER build for tablets (for example look at the global menu/window title - there is no mouseover for those)!!!
And the point about being half-rushed is a matter of opinion, so I won't comment on that point any further ;)

3rdalbum
April 12th, 2011, 12:51 AM
It's very easy to stick with what you know, but I'd suggest really trying to use Unity. It's actually a very good UI; did you know it has "Jumplists" (Quicklists) like Windows 7's taskbar entries? Did you know you can drag a file over the Unity launcher and only the programs that can handle that file will light up? And did you know that you can install new "lenses" that provide an interface for searching anything from your Gwibber contacts to Youtube, right from your desktop?

BertN45
April 12th, 2011, 01:37 AM
I have been using Ubuntu on and off since 5.04 and switched completely to Ubuntu at the moment that i decided, that I would not pay twice for the same Windows OS (Vista and 7). As a de-facto monopolist Microsoft asks too much for something that should have been a service pack.

I liked Ubuntu, but I have only one problem with Unity: It does not work on my desktop with the integrated Intel graphics 8286SG. The same problem with Gnome classic. So I switched to XFCE and I love it. Bye bye Gnome and Unity, maybe we see each other again in October.

Rasa1111
April 12th, 2011, 02:02 AM
Same here.

After I tested the Alpha(s) I was very disappointed and hating Unity with a passion! lol

Then a few nights ago I downloaded the Natty beta, and have actually been enjoying it!. :o

I havent even bothered to switch to the classic desktop in it though..
I figure what's the point? It is not going to be there anymore come 11.10..
So i might as well embrace Unity and get used to it the best I can. lol

And now that I know how to make Unity look nicer than the default..
It's not too bad.

Definitely works much better than the alphas.

uRock
April 12th, 2011, 06:34 AM
I just completed my updates and things are getting even nicer.

Zorgoth
April 12th, 2011, 07:47 AM
Unity still has some pretty crippling bugs on my computer still, but I'm surprised at how good it is fundamentally. It's still rough around the edges in some places and I am a little worried that Canonical might not take it in the right direction in terms of customization, but overall it's a really good system and I think it will get people to move to Ubuntu.

I am very glad that Ubuntu stuck with compiz as that is probably my favorite piece of software ever written, although eventually I ought to try out GNOME shell again to see how mutter is doing.

Roasted
April 12th, 2011, 08:20 AM
I think the world of Gnome Shell, despite the ridiculousness of some of the conversations I had about feature implementation with the developers in regard to its usability, and it's obvious mutter disadvantage. It may be better by now, but I think compiz is the sure-fire win in this case. Unity itself has come a long way as well, so it's nice to see both products maturing.

At the end of the day, the power of choice is what we all benefit from. But I can say this... I'm not surprised at all Unity was chosen as the avenue to stick with.

tlcstat
April 12th, 2011, 03:42 PM
Greetings,
Originally posted by uRock
I just completed my updates and things are getting even nicer.Ditto! That big update yesterday and a Intel chipset update after that and this thing is smooth and super fast. Error pop-ups are gone. I can't believe this is the same computer that I was in love with using Maverick and Gnome2. I have a feeling that a few are going to get a feeding of humble pie!
tlcstat

BertN45
April 12th, 2011, 07:39 PM
I saw the update of the Intel graphics. But close to release of the Beta 2, Gnome and Unity still do not work on my HP 3gHz P-IV with the integrated Intel graphics controller 8286SG. It did work perfectly in Ubuntu 10.10, also with Compiz, so I start to hate the changes caused by Unity.

For me Xubuntu saved the day, it works. It has a nice panels that I can configure exactly as I like them to be. Ubuntu is dead for me, long live Xubuntu :)

tlcstat
April 12th, 2011, 08:46 PM
Greetings,
I
saw the update of the Intel graphics. But close to release of the Beta 2, Gnome and Unity still do not work on my HP 3gHz P-IV with the integrated Intel graphics controller 8286SG. It did work perfectly in Ubuntu 10.10, also with Compiz, so I start to hate the changes caused by Unity.

Its my understanding that Canonical had to rebuild the video drivers to work with Unity and 11.04 and they started with the more popular open GL cards. Since 11.04 is a testing version it is certain that there will be cards that don't work. But, if it worked with Maverick than it will work with Unity when they get the update out. I perceive that you may not have the heart to deal with testing versions. I agree that it is probably best that you use a stable distro.
tlcstat

hakermania
April 12th, 2011, 08:51 PM
if you are ready to hate something, it's quite a miracle not to do so

KiwiNZ
April 12th, 2011, 08:59 PM
I have the Beta running on my iMac in VM Ware and on one of my Test PC's and all is good so far.

graabein
April 12th, 2011, 09:46 PM
I'm looking forward to Unity and GNOME 3. One can always fall back on a tiling window manager (I used to be into xmonad on my previous box but I can't get back the config so I'm screwed) or something simple like Xfce (though GNOME 2 looks better) or even try this KDE thing. Options are nice. Go GNU/Linux baby!

):P

rudihawk
April 12th, 2011, 09:52 PM
I downloaded the Beta of 11.04 and was also ready to hate it and blast it away.

Hat in hand, I return. Seriously impressed. Unity rocks! It can only get better as it matures.

BertN45
April 12th, 2011, 10:25 PM
To be complete about the Intel graphics situation. I filed a bug report on Alpha 3 and I offered assistance to get more detailed information if needed. Note that I am still using a development release.

I do not think, it should have anything to do with the driver, because the same driver will be used by XFCE and normally you have to keep the video drivers free of any assumptions about the window manager and desktop used. I do not expect that they have added some generic 3D support to the drivers, that is used by Unity. It would be unwise. since you are asking for a lot of problems, because you have to change all video drivers developed over the past 10 years, including the ones maintained by the producers. Normally a distribution depends on the drivers made available by the kernel development or by the producers. .

Probably you are partly right and they did take too much work for a too short period of time and they had to prioritize the integration of the graphics controller drivers with unity/compiz. But I am using a main stream HP sold by the millions and it looks bad, if you do not support such a machine.

Note that there is only a little bit more than 14 days left to correct the problem. On the other hand I am really positive about Xubuntu 11.04 Beta, I think it is a great improvement over 10.10.

So to conclude, I combine what I said in my two posts: Long live Xubuntu and see Unity again in October.

aguafina
April 12th, 2011, 10:46 PM
Unity + Gnome3 + KDE4

:D Great, another split in the Linux world. A real shame M.Shuttleworth did'nt put his resources into Gnome3 and instead opted to drag on the life of 9 year old software (GTK2).

uRock
April 12th, 2011, 11:19 PM
Unity + Gnome3 + KDE4

:D Great, another split in the Linux world. A real shame M.Shuttleworth did'nt put his resources into Gnome3 and instead opted to drag on the life of 9 year old software (GTK2).

What are you talking about? You should read his blogs.

aguafina
April 12th, 2011, 11:52 PM
What are you talking about? You should read his blogs.

LoL ):P

Unity could quite easily move to the fore in GNOME, if it won this competition, just like lots of other ideas and pieces of code have started outside the core of GNOME but become essential to it.

He even admits himself Unity is just more competition for Gnome 3.

:D There's an old saying that you can't take the fight to someone until you're first won the fight with yourself ie Apple and MicroSoft have nothing to worry about from Linux.

scouser73
April 13th, 2011, 12:00 AM
I'm really liking unity also, it's easy to navigate and use and looks aesthetically pleasing in my opinion.

pookiebear
April 13th, 2011, 02:25 AM
xubuntu or lubuntu for me. I like panels and simple menus. Hate KDE's menus.
Hate mint's menus
Might go back to crunchbang.

Darth Penguin
April 13th, 2011, 04:26 AM
I have Lubuntu 11.04 on a partition and it doesn't have Unity and keeps the old GUI the same. So, all I can say is that I love Natty and it will be one of my boot options. :D

Gemu
May 9th, 2011, 11:17 AM
I despise 11.04 I can never see myself using it as long as I can use an older version. I will never ever use it. Where is the terminal?

Sometimes folks move backwards with improvements. My wife hates Ubuntu because it won't play games geared for windows off the web or DVD. For mothers day she wanted to get windows back on the lap top so she can play her games so now we have windows back and I don't think I'm going to install Ubuntu beside it either. I'll just boot a USB if I want Ubuntu on that machine.

1.Ubuntu is a CPU hog. Try installing ubuntu on a 600 mhz machine that did ok with xp on it and see how slow it is. That is an issue that needs fixing. 11.04 Runs slower than any Ubuntu I have ever seen on our lap top booting from USB.

2. You cant easily run anything but basic printer on Ubuntu.

3. Every time I go to burn a CD there is some kind of permissions error. I think its an in out error this time- cant read super block or something.

4. Can't play windows games on the web or DVD

5.If your dual booting Windows and Ubuntu it usually strips windows of its ethernet capabilities and the ability to even boot eventually which is why I'm not going to install it on my wifes lap top.

These are things that need attention. I have been Ubuntu's biggest fan and there are still things I hate about it. The way it works on the web is not one of them. I don't play games though. The only thing I do is fly an RC simulator called Helisim and it works great in Ubuntu.

Johnsie
May 9th, 2011, 04:41 PM
Complaining about 11.04 is like a squatter complaining because there is no air-conditioning. You don't pay for jack.

Got a problem? Submit a blueprint/bug, and if anyone can be bothered fixing it then consider yourself lucky that someone is doing your work for free. If they don't change it then find somewhere else to squat and quit inflicting your misery on the rest of us who are working (unpaid) on this project.

fjf
May 9th, 2011, 10:55 PM
I upgraded to Natty, and didn't like the Unity thing. Then I tried the Gnome shell thing. After 3 years of gnome2, the 3 sucks big time. We'll have to try it next year; it may be usable them.

Thank god we have kubuntu. 2 Years after KDE 4 it is usable and (I must say) very nice.

I'll try the gnome shell in a couple of years. Maybe.