PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Ubuntu and AMD

chejose
April 11th, 2011, 12:51 AM
I have an older machine and I wanted to install Ubuntu on it. No luck, so I tried a few other versions, even the little ones like Puppy Linux and Dam small linus. They didn't work either.

Then it orcurred to me that a Celeron might need tne AMD version,,,, I have no idea myself.

The machine is a Celeron 334 MZ, 384 Ram.

Please help my ignorance.Thanks.

José

Enigmapond
April 11th, 2011, 12:58 AM
No I doubt you machine is 64bit. Can you be a bit more specific about it not installing. Like what happens? What steps you did to install?

chejose
April 11th, 2011, 11:21 AM
No, the machine is not 64 bit. I forgot to mention that it is running Windows XP presently.

What I tried to do was run the installation CDs. All of them got part way and then stuck, either with a warning or simply stopped.

If Celeron is not the problem, it is strange. To give more information I would have to try the CDs again and anote the results.

I will try that this afternoon.

Thanks,

José

coffeecat
April 11th, 2011, 11:29 AM
384MB RAM is barely enough to run the gnome version of Ubuntu even when installed to the hard disk. And I doubt that the live CD would run at all - it needs more RAM than a permanent installation. However, the fact that Puppy and DS Linux wouldn't run suggests a problem elsewhere.

What video card do you have? Also, the installation CDs that stopped with a warning: what was the exact message? That can give a clue.

chejose
April 11th, 2011, 11:48 AM
Well, my main question about celeron is answered. But I will have to put in some time this afternoon with installation disks to see just how far they go and why they stop.

So I am going to leave this till later.

José