PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Slow disk response during file operations

orethrius
April 11th, 2011, 12:11 AM
Marking thread SOLVED as my method seems to work, though I'd still like an explanation if anyone's offering one. :)

UPDATE 1: Using htop to set the nice value of ext4-dio-unwrit to -20 seems to have worked wonders in my case, though I have absolutely no idea why.
Cue my entire Linux history of doing things without fully understanding the ramifications first. :lolflag:
UPDATE 2: From what I can tell, I actually achieved the direct opposite of my goal, prioritizing file moves over everything else; still, the end result seems the same, with other processes taking only a slight backseat to the file operations, and everything co-existing peacefully. Perhaps having everything running at the same level of niceness isn't always a good idea?

Per: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=399316
Per: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=86418

I'm rather curious, as I've seen this mentioned a bit, but haven't noticed a direct solution (please point it out if it's been posted, as a cursory search didn't turn up much).

I don't know that this actually is a problem, so much as it is a rather simplistic focus on prioritizing file transfers over any other operation. Isn't there some background-intelligent (forgive the MS allusion) way to re-nice mv operations, for example if I wish to browse the Internet with any kind of responsiveness? I don't have a problem with file transfers taking a backseat to foreground operations, even if it means they may not finish precisely on schedule. Besides, doing this neatly could be another "killer app" functionality to add to Ubuntu's already impressive list of features. :)

EDIT: This may be more appropriate to "Development & Programming"; if so, feel free to move it there. ;)

SeijiSensei
April 11th, 2011, 12:36 AM
Isn't there some background-intelligent (forgive the MS allusion) way to re-nice mv operations, for example if I wish to browse the Internet with any kind of responsiveness?

Sure. You said it yourself. Use nice to run the copy from the command prompt:

nice -n 10 'cp -a /path/to/source /path/to/target &'

or perhaps

nice -n 10 'rsync -av /path/to/source /path/to/target &'

if you just want to synchronize two directories.

orethrius
April 11th, 2011, 12:43 AM
I suppose I should clarify, being new to Kubuntu and all. I'm using the "standard" file-copy method to transfer files between drives, and responsiveness while doing this seems to be quite sluggish. Natch, I remember being able to make my system quite a bit snappier while using mv and cp, due to niceness; I suppose I figured Kubuntu uses mv and cp in the same manner. From what I can tell, it doesn't; sudo'ing and setting a different nice value for ext4-dio-unwrit seems to be the key / equivalent here. I have absolutely no idea why this is the case, but it seems to work. :)