PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Something went totaly wrong !!!

Rim3nX
April 10th, 2011, 10:48 PM
My ubuntu 10.10 was freezing from time to time... when watching a video, in the middle of it, everything just stopped working, mouse, keyboard, nothing was usable, so rebooting was inevitable.
Ok, no biggy, it was happening rarely. Until last night... Ubuntu was freezing for everything, but it was also unfreezing after short time.
At first, I thought, ah ok, updates made some changes and freezes don't need me to reboot the system. But freezing was happening for every possible process !!! It was happening so often that it made Ubuntu impossible to use.
Ok, I was thinking, it was time to refresh the hard drive with the new system. So i did it with Linux Mint for a change. At first start, it was working perfectly, no graphical jumps, no more strange repeating sounds from hard drive that were there when ubuntu was freezing.
But after installing all updates and recommended drivers for VGA and rebooting, graphics went crazy !!! So I figure out VGA is probably dying. I take it out and I saw this !!!

http://a2.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/208258_10150153544848171_731823170_6804634_7379599 _n.jpg

I would like someone to tell me is this a cause at all of system to go down, and what could actually cause this to a graphic card ???

K_45
April 10th, 2011, 11:04 PM
The capacitors have blown. Cheap ones have a tendency to do that which is why good quality motherboards (and GPU's) have all solid caps and ferrite chokes. I'd replace the card with a model from MSI or Asus.

Temüjin
April 10th, 2011, 11:05 PM
Blown capacitors can definitely cause instability. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capacitor_plague

Rim3nX
April 12th, 2011, 09:17 AM
Ok guys, thanks for the info.
I don't have time to read wikis page, so you might answer me, is overheating causing this capacitors to blow ?
I removed the graphic card, used the integrated one from mother board, but installing new system was a bit harder then usually.
I think something changed the work of all my computer devices :(
Anyway, I'm selling them all at online auction :)

Rim3nX
April 12th, 2011, 09:20 AM
I'd replace the card with a model from MSI or Asus.
Well this was a graphic card from MSI, also is motherboard.
But it was cheap :)

Temüjin
April 12th, 2011, 01:42 PM
I don't have time to read wikis page, so you might answer me, is overheating causing this capacitors to blow ?
If you read the first paragraph, you can answer your question in less time than it took you to type that ;)