PDA

View Full Version : Good video card for video playback?

BrokenKingpin
April 10th, 2011, 10:21 PM
I am currently having some issues with video playback on media center PC plugged into my PC. Playing AVI files in VLC works good enough, but somewhat choppy at times with XBMC. Also, flash videos are just terrible most of the time. I am wondering if a video a better video card would solve some of my issues. I am running Ubuntu 10.10 x64.

The current specs of the machine are:
- AMD Athlon 64 X2 5600+ 2.9GHz
- 4 GB of RAM
- Integrated NVIDIA GeForce 8200 Chipset (Asus M3N78-VM mobo)

As you can see the specs are not too bad at all, except maybe the video card. So the question is, do you think a new video card would help with video playback and flash videos, and if so what would be a good card to get (I have no interest in games on this system)?

beew
April 10th, 2011, 10:28 PM
I am currently having some issues with video playback on media center PC plugged into my PC. Playing AVI files in VLC works good enough, but somewhat choppy at times with XBMC. Also, flash videos are just terrible most of the time. I am wondering if a video a better video card would solve some of my issues. I am running Ubuntu 10.10 x64.

The current specs of the machine are:
- AMD Athlon 64 X2 5600+ 2.9GHz
- 4 GB of RAM
- Integrated NVIDIA GeForce 8200 Chipset (Asus M3N78-VM mobo)

As you can see the specs are not too bad at all, except maybe the video card. So the question is, do you think a new video card would help with video playback and flash videos, and if so what would be a good card to get (I have no interest in games on this system)?

Nvidia is certainly the best. Just make sure you don't have a laptop with Otimus enabled, in that case the Nvidia card is worse than a paper weight.

BrokenKingpin
April 10th, 2011, 10:32 PM
Nvidia is certainly the best. Just make sure you don't have a laptop with Otimus enabled, in that case the Nvidia card is worse than a paper weight.
I was hoping for a bit more guidance. There are thousands of NVidia chipsets out there, including the one I am having issues with. So what chipset should I be aiming for, as I am guessing some have features for certain types of video playback, where other do not?

kiddfroster
April 10th, 2011, 11:01 PM
I was hoping for a bit more guidance. There are thousands of NVidia chipsets out there, including the one I am having issues with. So what chipset should I be aiming for, as I am guessing some have features for certain types of video playback, where other do not?

I would go with something in the 400 series of Nvidia's graphics cards, since you didn't mention anything about gaming. Your computer should be new enough for the card, although you may have to upgrade your power supply, since the ones that come with prebuilt computers can be poorly made. Newegg has the NVidia GeForce GTX 460 for $150, and it's solid card that'll play games should you ever want to, and you can take it with to your next system.

3Miro
April 10th, 2011, 11:20 PM
Check if you have PCI-E v1.0 or v2.0. Video cards for PCI-E v2.0 run on v1.0, but you will not get full power.

There are some cheap GeForce 8400/9400 at Newegg, those would be nice since they will not take form the RAM and will be faster than your current 8200.

Another option is the GTS210-220-240-250. Here things become a question of money and whether or not your PSU can handle it.

4xx cards are higher end. Even though they are great, I would first go for a better CPU and/or more RAM (not that you don't have enough of those).

With Linux, Nvidia is my first choice, but ATI 4xxx and newer are now goo enough too. So long as you don't play video games, those would work great. ATI is also cheaper. Note: do NOT get ATI older than 4xxx, the drivers for the old ones are garbage.

I used to have an AMD setup very similar to yours. I had similar CPU and 4GB HDD, also I had the nForce 570 mobo. I used an Asus GeForce 8600GT 512MB and it was a great combo, unbelievable stability even on the usually less stable Kubuntu with KDE 4.2 at the time in beta. Unfortunately, for a 8600GT, you will have to look into used cards.

Dustin2128
April 10th, 2011, 11:26 PM
I'd go with a dedicated 9400 or 210, both very cheap cards.

wolfen69
April 11th, 2011, 12:00 AM
I have a GT430 that was $80 US. Runs great.

BrokenKingpin
April 11th, 2011, 12:17 AM
Thanks guys. The mobo does have PCI-E v2.0, and I have a 400 watt power supply.

I found 210 for $25 (which has no fan, so it will be quiet):
http://www.canadacomputers.com/product_info.php?cPath=43_557_559&item_id=037831

Do you think this will offer a noticeable performance difference over the integrated 8200 for video playback?

LowSky
April 11th, 2011, 12:33 AM
Thanks guys. The mobo does have PCI-E v2.0, and I have a 400 watt power supply.

I found 210 for $25 (which has no fan, so it will be quiet):
http://www.canadacomputers.com/product_info.php?cPath=43_557_559&item_id=037831

Do you think this will offer a noticeable performance difference over the integrated 8200 for video playback?

It will be slightly better. I would go with something a bit better like a 240 or 430 if you can afford it. I rather have a part that will last a few years and not just okay right now.

3Miro
April 11th, 2011, 01:21 AM
LowSky has a good point, but with 400W PSU, I wouldn't push it. 210GT and 8400 or 9400 should be fine, but bigger cards may have trouble.

wolfen69
April 11th, 2011, 03:29 AM
210GT and 8400 or 9400 should be fine, but bigger cards may have trouble.

I had the 9500GT and wasn't impressed with it. Going to a GT430 made a noticeable difference.

Dustin2128
April 11th, 2011, 03:55 AM
I had the 9500GT and wasn't impressed with it. Going to a GT430 made a noticeable difference.
I'm running a 9600GT at the moment, amazing card for the purpose and price. But the OP said that they were only really wanting video playback, and a 9400 should be more than enough for even HD playback.

NightwishFan
April 11th, 2011, 04:28 AM
I have an Intel GM45 (Integrated) and it can play 1080p while screencasting. So pretty much any card should be enough.

BrokenKingpin
April 11th, 2011, 03:04 PM
I have an Intel GM45 (Integrated) and it can play 1080p while screencasting. So pretty much any card should be enough.
I would think that my integrated card is as good as the GM45 (if not better), but flash videos are very choppy for me, as well as playing certain videos through XBMC.

NightwishFan
April 11th, 2011, 03:07 PM
I would think that my integrated card is as good as the GM45 (if not better), but flash videos are very choppy for me, as well as playing certain videos through XBMC.

Might be that GEM works very well compared to other types of integrated cards. I can play 1080p Flash as well.

mips
April 11th, 2011, 05:10 PM
I'm running a 9600GT at the moment, amazing card for the purpose and price. But the OP said that they were only really wanting video playback, and a 9400 should be more than enough for even HD playback.

+1

I would recommend any card with VDPAU support. And then use (s)mplayer with vdpau support built in http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1037625

BrokenKingpin
April 11th, 2011, 06:06 PM
+1

I would recommend any card with VDPAU support. And then use (s)mplayer with vdpau support built in http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1037625
Hmmm... I think the GPU I have now supports VDPAU, so maybe I just need to turn it on in XBMC.

On that note, would a new video card even help with flash? I thought all flash was done with the CPU (unless it is from YouTube).

mips
April 11th, 2011, 06:38 PM
On that note, would a new video card even help with flash? I thought all flash was done with the CPU (unless it is from YouTube).

I can't see how your cpu is to slow for flash. I doubt a video card would sort it out.

Anyway try vdapau out and see if it makes a difference, not your cpu usage before and after with a few different files.