PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] 10.10 Install problem broke my max disk capacity

ItzMe4u2C
April 10th, 2011, 07:44 PM
Have a problem with the available disk capacity. I was installing Ubuntu 10.10 and my laptop powered off while the setup was performing the partition configurations (perfect timing huh). Now my Toshiba MKxx65GSX 320 GB drive only shows 58GB capacity, partitions to 54.48 GB.

I've used every tool I can find, everything on the Utimate Boot CD, partition managers and low level formatting, disk data killers that wipe and 0 everything. I've connected the drive to my PC and tried Windows XP's disk management and chkdsk. I retried the Ubuntu install and Windows XP install and the partition configuration can only work with 58GB. No matter what everything I've tried only see's and works with drive as 58GB capacity. How can I get the full capacity back, any suggestions?

I guess I'm lucky it at least has 58GB and will continue to work, sure sux though!

amerinde
April 10th, 2011, 08:56 PM
might want to check the bios... hope nothing was on the drive u wanted..

patrickaupperle
April 10th, 2011, 09:40 PM
Have a problem with the available disk capacity. I was installing Ubuntu 10.10 and my laptop powered off while the setup was performing the partition configurations (perfect timing huh). Now my Toshiba MKxx65GSX 320 GB drive only shows 58GB capacity, partitions to 54.48 GB.

I've used every tool I can find, everything on the Utimate Boot CD, partition managers and low level formatting, disk data killers that wipe and 0 everything. I've connected the drive to my PC and tried Windows XP's disk management and chkdsk. I retried the Ubuntu install and Windows XP install and the partition configuration can only work with 58GB. No matter what everything I've tried only see's and works with drive as 58GB capacity. How can I get the full capacity back, any suggestions?

I guess I'm lucky it at least has 58GB and will continue to work, sure sux though!

Just to make sure, you said you actually ran a program that wrote all zeros to the hard drive? This should have solved it. I ask because you state you have used disk data killers, but I was not sure if you actually ran them through to completion or if they just told you the available disk space.

Have you tried anything on this page:
http://sdd.toshiba.com/main.aspx?Path=ServicesSupport/WarrantySupport/SoftwareUtilities ?

Did you say you connected it to a different computer? Once again, it sounds like you did, but it was not explicitly stated.

Have you tried shreding it?
shred /dev/sd? It really wouldn't make sense for that to work if nothing else has, but I am trying to be helpful.

Sorry, it would seem I can not suggest anything you have not already tried. I will keep thinking about it and see if I can come up with anything.

ItzMe4u2C
April 10th, 2011, 10:43 PM
might want to check the bios... hope nothing was on the drive u wanted..

I didn't lose data, I just wiped a Windows 7 setup from another laptop and was preparing to do some Ubuntu testing. The BIOS sux and cuts off displaying all of the drive info so you can't tell what size it is detecting, only shows brand and model. It's always done this, and it's the latest ver. I also tried doing the debug command to reset the drive parameters. I tried Toshiba's drive alignment tool and it didn't detect anything to do on the drive. It doesn't look like Toshiba has any utilities like some other brands do. If this is hopeless, I'm going to load XP Pro on the 58GB and sell the laptop for whatever it gets.

Dutch70
April 10th, 2011, 11:23 PM
Can you boot up the live cd/usb and post the output of...

sudo fdisk -l
That's a lower case "L"

Also, please open Gparted and take a screenshot of your disk. Attach it to your next post using the paper clip in the toolbar.

ItzMe4u2C
April 11th, 2011, 01:45 AM
Can you boot up the live cd/usb and post the output of...

sudo fdisk -lThat's a lower case "L"

Also, please open Gparted and take a screenshot of your disk. Attach it to your next post using the paper clip in the toolbar.

I had trouble loading the live cd, after the desktop goes to load the screen just shows vertical lines. It's a Dell 1501 just like the one fixed in this post http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1584719

I selected F6 option and enabled nomodeset setting for the startup. Anyhow, attached the screen shots. Thanks!

ItzMe4u2C
April 11th, 2011, 02:39 AM
Just to make sure, you said you actually ran a program that wrote all zeros to the hard drive? This should have solved it. I ask because you state you have used disk data killers, but I was not sure if you actually ran them through to completion or if they just told you the available disk space.

Have you tried anything on this page:
http://sdd.toshiba.com/main.aspx?Path=ServicesSupport/WarrantySupport/SoftwareUtilities ?

Did you say you connected it to a different computer? Once again, it sounds like you did, but it was not explicitly stated.

Have you tried shreding it?
shred /dev/sd? It really wouldn't make sense for that to work if nothing else has, but I am trying to be helpful.

Sorry, it would seem I can not suggest anything you have not already tried. I will keep thinking about it and see if I can come up with anything.

Missed this post before. Thanks for your input I appreciate it. I saw these Toshiba tools when I tried the Toshiba Partition Alignment app, which said nothing needed to be done. I didn't try any of these diagnostic scan tools cuz it looks like they only report if there's a disk problem, or am I mistaken and they are tools to fix? Guess I'll try them b4 I give up!

Just to confirm, yes I connected this drive to another computer, I have the USB converter box Apricorn DriveWire and used it to connect the laptop drive to my Windows XP PC which is how I ran more tools against the drive after all the boot cd tools I tried failed to help.

I'm new to Ubuntu & linux. I looked up the command you advised and chose to run the command with these parameters "sudo shred -v -z -n 1 /dev/sda", this has been running for awhile and is about to finish 1 of 2 passes. We'll see, not sure about it cuz as it's showing the progress it lists disk capacity /55GiB.