PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] System Freezes suddenly

sandy0594
April 10th, 2011, 10:29 AM
Hi all,I am very new to Linux of course Ubuntu and this forum..I am using Ubuntu 10.10 for now..I am poor in bookish terms..
Suddenly my System freezed(hanged)..I tried to kill all the process using terminal,the terminal opens but i couldn't type anything.What to do in such kind of situations?

The instance(freezing) which happened was when I entered the following command in terminal

compiz

mikewhatever
April 10th, 2011, 11:06 AM
If a computer freezes after you enter a command, the logical conclusion would be not to enter that command again, unless there is a good reason to. One way to recover from such a freeze is ctrl+alt+f1. That should drop you to a terminal window, log in and restart xserver with the following:

sudo service gdm restart

...or, you can also reboot:

sudo reboot

sandy0594
April 10th, 2011, 12:27 PM
But the problem is i couldn't enter anything into the terminal except opening it..So,i just clicked restart button on the top right..is there any better way to do that?

mikewhatever
April 10th, 2011, 12:32 PM
You should be able to type if the ctrl+alt+f1 works as expected, and if it doesn't, use sysrq reisub (http://mark.koli.ch/2009/02/linux-magic-sysrq-key-r-e-i-s-u-b-reboot-even-if-system-utterly-broken.html).

sandy0594
April 10th, 2011, 12:42 PM
Thanks Mike,I will check it out when again that sort of issue happens.
Thanks for the reply