PDA

View Full Version : Electronic voting

WinterMadness
April 10th, 2011, 06:31 AM
So we recently saw an election in Wisconsin where they "found" something like 7500 votes, and the 2000 election fiasco in the usa. Im wondering if you think voting machines would work better?

Its becoming quite common to have recounts and other troubles, if we had open source voting machines, do you think the problems could be avoided? A lot of people dont trust them, but im starting to think you cant trust paper...

try to keep this about machines vs paper, and not make it political.

Lightstar
April 10th, 2011, 06:45 AM
So we recently saw an election in Wisconsin where they "found" something like 7500 votes, and the 2000 election fiasco in the usa. Im wondering if you think voting machines would work better?

Its becoming quite common to have recounts and other troubles, if we had open source voting machines, do you think the problems could be avoided? A lot of people dont trust them, but im starting to think you cant trust paper...

try to keep this about machines vs paper, and not make it political.

Electronic, yes! I think it would be a great idea.
Open source, no.

WinterMadness
April 10th, 2011, 06:46 AM
why not open source?

uRock
April 10th, 2011, 06:48 AM
My state has electronic voting machines. It was touch screen for the last few elections here.

NCLI
April 10th, 2011, 06:52 AM
Electronic, yes! I think it would be a great idea.
Open source, no.
Why not open source? That's a little silly. Some of the best security tools in the world are open source.

Anyway, I honestly think we should stick to paper. It's just too important.

jfreak_
April 10th, 2011, 07:22 AM
In india we have electronic voting for something like 1,000,000,000 people and it is rather foolproof and efficient, we get the results in like 3 hours after the counting starts. As compared to the paper ballot system earliar where there used to be ballot box stuffing and other such fraud and the results used to take days to get confirmed