PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Unable to install to desktop lacking OS

MosesMiller
April 10th, 2011, 04:18 AM
-I have two computers on-hand, a netbook (no CD burner) running Ubuntu, and a desktop with no operating system. I also have a FAT32 formatted USB

-I tried downloading the Ubuntu .iso and putting it on a USB following directions, and also tried just using the Startup Disk Creator/usb-creator programs to do it. The USB *should* be in fine order.

-BUT, I have an old HP Pavilion A700, and when I hit F1 to go change boot order, it only allows me to choose between "Hard Drive" and "CD-ROM". Now, if I set it to Hard Drive, and then go try to set up WHICH hard drive to try mounting first, it shows ONLY my USB stick...so that's promising - but I select it as priority, reboot, and...

-NOTHING. I just get BIOS flashing up, then it says "No Operating System. Insert Boot Disk and Hit Enter".

Now I don't have a CD-burner, and I'd rather not wait a week for a CD to arrive - so what are my options here? (And no, I don't have a Windows CD so I can install Windows and then Wubi around with it either :P)

The winner to this conundrum gets this GIANT bag of popcorn:popcorn:

Also, I've been told uttering the phrase "Wow, this would be so much easier with Windows, there's no way to do it with Linux!" gets speedier responses from people desperate to prove me wrong, so even though there's no truth to the statement (couldn't install Windows either!), consider it muttered ;)

oldfred
April 10th, 2011, 05:10 AM
Does the USB boot on the netbook to prove that the USB is setup correctly?

How old is the HP. Just that it shows a USB port, may not make it bootable. Only computers in the last 3 to 5 years have had USB boot capability.

Hedgehog1
April 10th, 2011, 09:00 AM
-BUT, I have an old HP Pavilion A700, and when I hit F1 to go change boot order, it only allows me to choose between "Hard Drive" and "CD-ROM".

Moses,

You are going to need a good CD burned for both install and maintenance of the HP Pavilion A700. In the end, you will have to have it.

May I suggest formating the USB stick, dropping the Ubuntu .iso file on it, and then trading a CD burn for a beer with a neighbor?

Please ask them to burn it at a slow speed as the Ubuntu install needs a super clean burn. The beer will last for that long at least.

Once you have that CD - take good care of it, use it to install Ubuntu on the HP Pavilion A700, and store it n a safe place so if you have it for future maintenance.

The Hedge

:KS

MosesMiller
April 10th, 2011, 08:09 PM
That was kind of my fear, it'll just take me a week or two to get a CD burned in this city, hoped to get it resolved faster than that. So even though the USB shows up under "Hard Drives" when I'm in the BIOS screen, there's no realistic way to actually boot from it, right?

Do you happen to know where that link is to get an Ubuntu CD shipped to you for free, or $1 or whatever? I looked at the shop. link on Ubuntu.org but could only find 5/10-packs. (Bonus points if you know someone who ships out the forsaken travel destination they call "Canada")

Old_Grey_Wolf
April 10th, 2011, 10:51 PM
Do you happen to know where that link is to get an Ubuntu CD shipped to you for free, or $1 or whatever? I looked at the shop. link on Ubuntu.org but could only find 5/10-packs. (Bonus points if you know someone who ships out the forsaken travel destination they call "Canada")

When I looked for ShipIt I got this page http://www.ubuntu.com/shipit?sid=n0RarZ. Sorry.

Old_Grey_Wolf
April 10th, 2011, 11:10 PM
I have an old HP Pavilion A700, and when I hit F1 to go change boot order, it only allows me to choose between "Hard Drive" and "CD-ROM". Now, if I set it to Hard Drive, and then go try to set up WHICH hard drive to try mounting first, it shows ONLY my USB stick...so that's promising - but I select it as priority, reboot, and...

I looked up the specs for the HP Pavilion A700. It is indeed old, 2004. It may not have enough RAM to run Ubuntu; although, it could be upgraded. Those old DIMM RAM modules are hard to find if you need to add more RAM. And they are not cheep.

I would suggest getting someone to download the iso for you and putting it on a CD or USB. Then install it on the netbook you have.

C.S.Cameron
April 10th, 2011, 11:34 PM
You could stick your HDD into another computer, (or external inclosure), install Ubuntu to it from there, then move it back.