PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Install problem

Andrenap
April 10th, 2011, 02:20 AM
I had a dual boot PC with Mac and Windows. I installed Ubuntu, it went ok that time. Then I wiped Macs partitions, and I couldn`t initialize either one of the other two. I tried reinstalling it (I was just using it for a few hours, not such a big loss), but now, it throws a 'the ext4 file system creation in partition #2 of SCSI1 (0,0,0) (sda) failed.", in terminal I saw a end_request i/o error, dont remember exactly what it said. how can I install ubuntu or, at least, use windows? grub init throws a invalid partition error

Rubi1200
April 10th, 2011, 05:29 AM
Hi,

we need to get a better overview of the current state of the system.

To that end, please do the following:

Boot the Ubuntu Live CD/USB. Choose the option "Try Ubuntu without any changes." Once the desktop loads come back here and do the following:

1. Download the boot info script. There is a link in my signature.
2. Once downloaded, move the boot info script to the desktop.
3. Open a terminal and run the command

sudo bash ~/Desktop/boot_info_script*.sh

This will create a RESULTS.txt file on the desktop. Paste the entire contents of that file back here in a new post. Once pasted highlight all text and click the # sign on the toolbar to place code tags around the text.

Andrenap
April 10th, 2011, 01:49 PM
Boot Info Script 0.55 dated February 15th, 2010

============================= Boot Info Summary: ==============================

=> Grub 2 is installed in the MBR of /dev/sda and looks on the same drive in
partition #2 for (,msdos2)/boot/grub.

sda1: __________________________________________________ _______________________

File system: ntfs
Boot sector type: Windows Vista/7
Boot sector info: According to the info in the boot sector, sda1 has
307199999 sectors, but according to the info from
fdisk, it has 307208946 sectors.
Operating System: Windows Vista
Boot files/dirs: /bootmgr /Boot/BCD /Windows/System32/winload.exe
/grldr /wubildr.mbr /ubuntu/winboot/wubildr.mbr
/wubildr /ubuntu/winboot/wubildr

sda2: __________________________________________________ _______________________

File system:
Boot sector type: -
Boot sector info:
Mounting failed:
mount: unknown filesystem type ''

=========================== Drive/Partition Info: =============================

Drive: sda ___________________ __________________________________________________ ___

Disk /dev/sda: 320.1 GB, 320072933376 bytes
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 38913 cylinders, total 625142448 sectors
Units = sectors of 1 * 512 = 512 bytes
Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 512 bytes

Partition Boot Start End Size Id System

/dev/sda1 * 2,048 307,210,994 307,208,947 7 HPFS/NTFS
/dev/sda2 307,212,288 502,523,903 195,311,616 83 Linux

blkid -c /dev/null: __________________________________________________ __________

Device UUID TYPE LABEL

/dev/loop0 squashfs
/dev/sda1 1E4222194221F5E5 ntfs
/dev/sda: PTTYPE="dos"
error: /dev/sdb: No medium found
error: /dev/sdc: No medium found

============================ "mount | grep ^/dev output: ===========================

Device Mount_Point Type Options

aufs / aufs (rw)
/dev/sr0 /cdrom iso9660 (ro,noatime)
/dev/loop0 /rofs squashfs (ro,noatime)
/dev/sda1 /media/1E4222194221F5E5 fuseblk (rw,nosuid,nodev,allow_other,blksize=4096,default_ permissions)

=======Devices which don't seem to have a corresponding hard drive==============

sdb sdc

Rubi1200
April 10th, 2011, 02:32 PM
Hi,
thanks for posting the results.

It appears you used to have a Wubi install, correct?

There is a problem with sda2, where I assume you were trying to install Ubuntu:

mount: unknown filesystem type
As far as I can tell, the Windows partition is okay.

So, do you want to try and reinstall (perhaps repair if possible) Ubuntu on sda2, delete the partition and recover Windows, or something else?

Andrenap
April 10th, 2011, 02:55 PM
I didn't have a wubi. i had ubuntu for a few hours and then it kinda stopped working. I wanna install ubuntu in sda2, keeping winvista (coz of my family) in the sda1

Dutch70
April 10th, 2011, 05:16 PM
Wubi is the windows installer. You did install Ubuntu into windows programs, correct?
Does it show up in windows programs?

Andrenap
April 11th, 2011, 01:05 AM
First of all, I know what wubi is. But the boot loader is grub, i didn`t installed it, just ignore that info.
And second, I can`t use windows, grub is bugged...

Andrenap
April 12th, 2011, 12:07 AM
Someone there? i'm havin to use 'try it from cd' for two days, cmon people!

Rubi1200
April 12th, 2011, 03:25 AM
This is what I would probably do in this situation:

1. use GParted from the LiveCD to delete whatever is on sda2 and then leave it as unallocated space

2. restore the Windows bootloader:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1014708

3. make sure Windows is booting normally and run a chkdsk and defragment the Windows drive

4. if Windows is "happy," boot up the LiveCD again and install Ubuntu to the unallocated space on sda2

bcbc
April 12th, 2011, 03:44 AM
Grub2 is pointing at /dev/sda2 which is type 83 - linux (so far so good). But /dev/sda2 looks like this:

sda2: __________________________________________________ _______________________ File system: Boot sector type: - Boot sector info: Mounting failed: mount: unknown filesystem type '' So from a live CD, you could try running fsck on /dev/sda2. Or see if testdisk or some other recovery tool can recover whatever was on there.

If you just recently installed on /dev/sda2 and don't have anything important on there, I'd do what Rubi1200 says - delete it and start again.