PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] how to solve this trouble???

cookiez
April 9th, 2011, 05:34 PM
It is impossible to install or remove any software. Please use the package manager "Synaptic" or run "sudo apt-get install -f" in a terminal to fix this issue at first.

// i'm typing "sudo apt-get install -f" but is useless

Could not get lock /var/lib/dpkg/lock - open (11: Resource temporarily unavailable)
Unable to lock the administration directory (/var/lib/dpkg/), is another process using it?

Unable to lock the administration directory (/var/lib/dpkg/), is another process using it

Software index is broken

how to solve it??

prshah
April 9th, 2011, 07:08 PM
// i'm typing "sudo apt-get install -f" but is useless
Could not get lock /var/lib/dpkg/lock - open (11: Resource temporarily unavailable)
Unable to lock the administration directory (/var/lib/dpkg/), is another process using it?

You cannot have two package managers running simultaneously (Eg, Synaptic and apt-get). Close Synaptic, and then try the apt-get command in a terminal; or use Edit-> Fix broken packages option in Synaptic.

Rubi1200
April 9th, 2011, 07:15 PM
Hi and welcome to the forums cookiez :)

As suggested by prshah.

Also, what version of Ubuntu are you using?

jeliocranch
April 11th, 2011, 12:48 AM
Hi, I'm having the same trouble. I'm just getting into working with the terminal, and used apt-get for the first time a week ago. Since then, Update manager says apt-get has changed package indexes and it fails to download packages.
So I tried

sudo apt-get update

and got this:

E: Could not get lock /var/lib/apt/lists/lock - open (11: Resource temporarily unavailable)
E: Unable to lock directory /var/lib/apt/lists/

Reading this post, I thought perhaps Update manager was still open, so I closed it and tried again... same result.

ran top, but no other package managers show except apt-get.

Help? My wife uses this machine and needs the GUI-based stuff to work.

Enigmapond
April 11th, 2011, 12:53 AM
Hi, I'm having the same trouble. I'm just getting into working with the terminal, and used apt-get for the first time a week ago. Since then, Update manager says apt-get has changed package indexes and it fails to download packages.
So I tried

sudo apt-get update

and got this:

E: Could not get lock /var/lib/apt/lists/lock - open (11: Resource temporarily unavailable)
E: Unable to lock directory /var/lib/apt/lists/

Reading this post, I thought perhaps Update manager was still open, so I closed it and tried again... same result.

ran top, but no other package managers show except apt-get.

Help? My wife uses this machine and needs the GUI-based stuff to work.

Try re-booting and see if that releases it.

jeliocranch
April 11th, 2011, 01:49 AM
Its been booted 6 times since update manager first failed. Unfortunately, it hasn't helped.

plucky
April 11th, 2011, 09:12 AM
Its been booted 6 times since update manager first failed. Unfortunately, it hasn't helped.

Try removing the lock file

From a terminal
cd /var/lib/apt/lists/
sudo rm lock

Then run
sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get upgrade

Good Luck

jeliocranch
April 12th, 2011, 05:11 AM
Thanks Plucky.

A friend just suggested that, I tried it and voila! everything works wonderfully again!

I was told its likely a result of an abruptly terminated apt-get. I'm trying to recall when that may have happened, but who knows. I have a 5 year old who knows how to shut my stuff down so she can go play "Disney Princess" on the Disney site.

Either way, thanks!