PDA

View Full Version : Grub rescue

roddilite
April 9th, 2011, 08:21 AM
My partition of Ubuntu was removed through a series of events, and I am left with:
error: no such partition
grub rescue>
I know that grub isn't even there anymore and that my computer is trying to boot into Ubuntu which also isn't there. I have a Win7 partition that I can't even see or load into. I start my computer and all I get is this message, every time. I can't use a live disc because i have no option to do so. I've gone through countless forums for the past 3 hours, and nothing has worked. Any help is welcome at this point. Thanks.

Elfy
April 9th, 2011, 08:32 AM
If you have removed ubuntu then yes grub is going to fail. You don't need help with ubuntu you need help with windows. You need to reinstall windows bootloader.

Changed prefix and moving to other_os forum.

roddilite
April 9th, 2011, 08:36 AM
Yeah I knew grub would fail. I for some reason am unable to boot into any disc, whether it be windows or otherwise. So using a windows system restore disc hasn't worked at all. Any suggestions as to how to reinstall windows bootloader when it won't recognize I have the live disc?

Elfy
April 9th, 2011, 08:50 AM
I'm afraid not. It would probably have been better to deal with the bootloader before you removed ubuntu, hindsight though is easy.

Possibly it's not software but hardware and the cd is on the way out - or you need to check bios to make sure it's booting cd's first.

roddilite
April 11th, 2011, 03:17 AM
I got everything up and running. It seems that I totally forgot about the bios menu. Thanks for your help.