PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Which DE in Ubuntu 11.04?

Nonno Bassotto
April 9th, 2011, 08:07 AM
I know it's been asked already a million times, but all the information I find is contradictory. Probably the plans have changed a few times, so I'm not sure what is the updated answer.

1) Which DE will be default on Ubuntu 11.04? Gnome Shell, Unity or Gnome 2.0? I was positive it was going to be Unity, but I read plans may have changed recently.
2) Will the other DE be available as well?
3) Will Compiz run together with either Gnome Shell or Unity? If not, is there any plan for the new window managers to support wobbly windows?

~Plue
April 9th, 2011, 10:58 AM
1) the DE is gnome (both gnome-shell and unity are shells for gnome and the latter will be used). the 'classic' gnome desktop with gnome-panels would stll be available from the login screen

2)yep. kubuntu, xubuntu and all the other *buntus will still be released

3)unity works with compiz (its a compiz plugin), but gnome-shell wont

Nonno Bassotto
April 9th, 2011, 03:52 PM
I think I did not explain well what I meant.

Which shell will be default?

Will the other shells be available?

~Plue
April 9th, 2011, 04:17 PM
from now on, unity would be the default shell.

theres a gnome3 ppa (https://launchpad.net/%7Egnome3-team/+archive/gnome3) if you'd like to try out the gnome-shell, though i dont know how stable it is. someone who has tried it could help you out more there

Nonno Bassotto
April 9th, 2011, 08:17 PM
And it will be possbile to log in standard Gnome 2 in 11.04? Sorry for all these questions, but over the net I find contradictory information.

bardor
April 9th, 2011, 08:32 PM
from now on, unity would be the default shell.

theres a gnome3 ppa (https://launchpad.net/%7Egnome3-team/+archive/gnome3) if you'd like to try out the gnome-shell, though i dont know how stable it is. someone who has tried it could help you out more there

i ran gnome3 on archlinux in virtualbox seems pretty solid dough i only could run the fallback interface becouse it was virtualbox and i dont know if the nvidia drivers run in virtualbox maybe i could have gotten full desktop, but i did try the full version from a fedora based livecd on my eeepc 900 there i could get full desktop and i liked it

bardor
April 9th, 2011, 08:39 PM
And it will be possbile to log in standard Gnome 2 in 11.04? Sorry for all these questions, but over the net I find contradictory information.

id say gnome3 or gnome3-shell has automatic fallback to gnome2 if computer doesnt support it dont know about unity, and i dont see whay you couldnt simply install gnome2 session on there if you want to login using gnome2, but standard is unity shell

but if i had to choose a DE i would use gnome3 over unity any day

~Plue
April 9th, 2011, 10:10 PM
yep. as said above, you can choose either unity or the standard gnome session from the login screen.
but starting from 11.10, the ‘classic’ gnome desktop wont shipped anymore

i ran gnome3 on archlinux in virtualbox seems pretty solid dough i only could run the fallback interface becouse it was virtualbox and i dont know if the nvidia drivers run in virtualbox maybe i could have gotten full desktop, but i did try the full version from a fedora based livecd on my eeepc 900 there i could get full desktop and i liked it
i meant the gnome3 ppa.. anyway, nice to know other distros have a good implementation of gnome3 w/shell...