PDA

View Full Version : your thoughts on tablets

wlraider70
April 9th, 2011, 06:47 AM
So i want something in the tablet form factor, but I don't want a giant iPhone, the little one is fine.

So what are your thoughts on tablets.
Are there any good Linux ones? I'm not very familiar with droid OS, but I think I want something more in the "full" OS realm.

LowSky
April 9th, 2011, 06:57 AM
its called android.. droid is a series of phones from verizon and the term for robots in star wars.

i just purchased a viewsonic g tablet off woot a few weeks back. i use it to check mail, play simple games like angry birds, read a book or quick web page,, listen to music and watch movies. you're kidding yourself if you want it to replace a laptop.

Johnsie
April 9th, 2011, 06:59 AM
For me they are a bit of a novelty item. I've had an Archos 70 Androiud 2.2 tablet for about 2 months. It was nice for when I was travelling in a plane, but I got bored of it pretty quick. Typing on an actual computer is alot easier and phones are alot more portable. My pad is sitting in a bag somewhere and hasn't been touched for about 3 weeks. I guess the novelty wore off. If I had a choice between bringing my pad out with me or a netbook then I would choose the netbook every time. My netbook can do so much more than any pad that is available. Apparently some pads don't even have adobe flash, let alone the ability to dual boot or run full software packages.

Cracklepop
April 9th, 2011, 08:22 AM
Netbooks without keyboards...

Thewhistlingwind
April 9th, 2011, 08:31 AM
Honestly, I feel that any device which can't accept keyboard input (Even if it's like the keypad on the TI or something.) isn't worth investing in. (Touchscreen doesn't count.)

EDIT: Isn't worth investing in if it's not trying to be an appliance (Like say, an ipod would be exempt.)
EDIT2: In fact, I have a "list" of requirements for a device to be viable as a platform I'd feel happy using, but I'm not going to try and shove that on you.

v1ad
April 9th, 2011, 08:36 AM
xoom :] keyboard support, hdmi out and a bunch of other things.

earthpigg
April 9th, 2011, 08:38 AM
xoom looks fun.

not worth $700, though, when a more powerful netbook is in the $300 price range.

it isn't worth paying an additional $400 to give up a keyboard for a touchscreen.

blueturtl
April 9th, 2011, 08:39 AM
They're fad, just like Smartphones and Netbooks. Soon we'll all be back to this:

http://www.all4pc.com/images/Compucase%206A19%20HEC.jpg

;)

gnomeuser
April 9th, 2011, 10:23 AM
The webOS powered HP Touchpad is for my money the only interesting tablet around. The interface is just so well thought out and intuitive it is hard to even consider Android based tablets or the iPad as competition.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LT-Agrjaq_Q

BudworthTDog
April 9th, 2011, 11:42 AM
Personally I just don't get it. I can't think of a single situation in which a tablet would be better than a laptop or smartphone. While technology is always moving forward there are somethings in which you do reach a ceiling. At least for me portability of computers peaked with net books. I love my droid but dont see the use of it being so big i cant fit it in my pocket. As a prior post said they are a novelty.

Naiki Muliaina
April 9th, 2011, 12:01 PM
I can't think of a single situation in which a tablet would be better than a laptop or smartphone.

I can think of several. Main one being that I have seen a few times is cheap 7 inch tablets in warehouses for stock control. Had tablets been about 5 years ago when my company had a huge warehouse and quite a few staff I would have considered using them in my place.

Tablets are not a fad that will die and disappear. They will probably however slow down and fill certain roles in the future.