PDA

View Full Version : Linux/Open Source did it first . . .

BudworthTDog
April 9th, 2011, 04:23 AM
The last thing the internet needs is another blog, forum, or video on the Linux vs Mac vs Windows debate. I've yet to see any of them end in someone switching their OS preference. I switched from Windows to Linux about a year and a half ago and I couldn't be happier. I definitely understand that it's not for everybody. Different strokes for different folks. One thing that gets me about many Mac people is how they spout on about how innovative Mac is. As if Mac is the only company pioneering new technology. I do agree that they are very innovative and pioneering. I also understand they are extremely good at marketing and social conditioning. Which makes me think what do I know?

So here is what I would like to know. What are some common misconceptions when it comes to companies coming out with "new ideas." What are some things that were being developed in the Linux community before someone marketed it as if they had only thought of it a month ago. I have been able to find little tid bits here and there but I think it would be interesting to see a better compiled list or discussion on the topic.

AGAIN THIS IS NOT ABOUT THE LINUX VS MAC VS WINDOWS DEBATE. I'm talking cold hard facts of things that the open source community truly pioneered. Any comments or existing links would be much appreciated.

earthpigg
April 9th, 2011, 07:12 AM
Why don't I just skip the small stuff, and go for the big fishes?

-Everything in computer science that was not part of a classified government program prior to about 1970. A situation wherein any recipient of the binaries need only send a letter to the creater for a copy of the source code - is compatible with the Open Source Definition.

-SPINNAN CUBEZ

-The Internet, as we know it, being affordable and open. Check out Apache, and the cost of having one's own website over time. Once upon a time, it took a computer costing tens of thousands of dollars or more to host a simple website. Both the hardware and software certainly got more cost effective over time, but Apache led the way while remaining Open Source.

-Wiki.

-Converting video game consoles into supercomputers. Take a gander at the playstations turned into cost-effective supercomputers - Linux, leading the charge.

LowSky
April 9th, 2011, 07:30 AM
-Converting video game consoles into supercomputers. Take a gander at the playstations turned into cost-effective supercomputers - Linux, leading the charge.
Yeah im guessing right up to the point that sony disabled linux installations.

Linux was one of the first online distributed OSes

the most popular open source project has to be mozilla's firefox

gsmanners
April 9th, 2011, 07:38 AM
All this innovation talk is just pure and utter hubris.

The funny thing about innovation is that it implies that you have the education to invent things. The only prerequisites to a decent education is that you realize that the world isn't inherently obvious and a willingness to keep an open mind. Given that, the only thing special about innovation is the fact that not everyone is involved in it already. The only thing preventing everyone from being involved already is people who insist that it is somehow special and deserving of special protections and privileges, etc. In other words, preserving the illusion of superiority.

tgm4883
April 9th, 2011, 07:40 AM
All this innovation talk is just pure and utter hubris.

The funny thing about innovation is that it implies that you have the education to invent things. The only prerequisites to a decent education is that you realize that the world isn't inherently obvious and a willingness to keep an open mind. Given that, the only thing special about innovation is the fact that not everyone is involved in it already. The only thing preventing everyone from being involved already is people who insist that it is somehow special and deserving of special protections and privileges, etc. In other words, preserving the illusion of superiority.

I was with you until that. There are many reasons people aren't already involved. One of which is what you mentioned.

gerowen
April 9th, 2011, 07:41 AM
Good video with lots of information on the roots of the open source movement here.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CjaC8Pq9-V0

- Bill Gates originally bought QDOS from a Seattle company (forget the name), which he modified and used as the base for his OS.

- Apple got the idea for their user interface from Xerox, the company credited with creating the first graphical user interface.

- OSX is based on a Unix system, and even includes the Bash command line tool.

- UAC in Windows was pretty much an idea taken from the sudo command in Linux.

- Linux systems have a "hosts" file that can be used to manually plug in name to ip resolutions. I can't prove MS got the idea from Linux, but it seems a little odd to me. The path to the file in each system is as follows:
Linux: /etc/hosts
Windows: C:\Windows\System32\Drivers\etc\hosts

- Microsoft released an imaging tool for use with Windows 7 on a thumb drive that contained code taken from an open source product originally released under the GPLv2, but they didn't include the source code or give credit to the project.

- The 3-D desktop has been in open source development for years. There was Project Looking Glass, Beryl which became Compiz, etc.

- Windows still refuses to recognise a Linux OS when it's being installed, so you have to manually add your Linux OS to boot.ini if you installed Linux before Windows and you are dual-booting. Linux has supported other operating systems in grub/lilo for as long as I've been using them.

- Apple's App store is the first OS outside of Linux to have something that resembles a package manager; a one stop shop to keep all of your applications up to date; instead of having 500 update daemons sitting in the background to check their home websites periodically.

- The webkit rendering engine, used in web browsers such as Apple Safari and Google Chrome, was developed originally in Linux as QTWebkit or something like that.

If I come up with some more cool factoids I'll post them.

Icehuck
April 9th, 2011, 08:53 AM
Good video with lots of information on the roots of the open source movement here.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CjaC8Pq9-V0

- UAC in Windows was pretty much an idea taken from the sudo command in Linux.

Except sudo was made for unix way way before linux existed...

earthpigg
April 9th, 2011, 08:57 AM
Except sudo was made for unix way way before linux existed...

wiki~

The program was originally written by Bob Coggeshall and Cliff Spencer "around 1980" at the Department of Computer Science at SUNY/Buffalo.

this thread isn't just about linux, it is about open source.

academic computer creations tend to be open source by default.

http://www.gratisoft.us/sudo/history.html

Icehuck
April 9th, 2011, 09:00 AM
wiki~

this thread isn't just about linux, it is about open source.

academic computer creations tend to be open source by default.

http://www.gratisoft.us/sudo/history.html

Except you can't take it from linux, when it wasn't from linux to begin with?

earthpigg
April 9th, 2011, 09:08 AM
edit: removed post that would get this thread closed.

Icehuck
April 9th, 2011, 09:36 AM
edit: removed post that would get this thread closed.

Honestly, it didn't seem bad, never thought it would get thread closed.

FlameReaper
April 9th, 2011, 10:25 AM
- The webkit rendering engine, used in web browsers such as Apple Safari and Google Chrome, was developed originally in Linux as QTWebkit or something like that.

Actually it originated from KHTML. What Apple did was improvise on it. And later takes credit on it.