PDA

View Full Version : "proper" Android programming (Eclipse) scares me to death! :'(

youbuntu
April 8th, 2011, 11:02 PM
Okay, so I posted a thread the other day about how pleased I was to have found "App Inventor", and was subsequently shot down in flames, being told that I was not learning proper code.

I've gone from writing an app in 5 mins with App Inventor, to being scared out of my wits with Eclipse, and writing NOTHING in three DAYS!

It all just scares me - there are SO many things to do, so many ways to do them, there will always be someone saying that it is the wrong way, and the order in which functions are run... well, mannn, it just blows my mind!!!!

All I want to do is have a button, have it clickable, and make it do something... but do you think there is on SIMPLE tutorial, making no assumptions about the background of said n00b? Not a single one, and I'm on the verge of screaming point! :'((

Please, someone help an autistic guy who finds it difficult at first, but then races ahead once the basics are learnt - all I need is a gentle head start :)

I know I am not stupid, but I cannot help my subconscious telling me "you MUST be stupid", because that is how the mind works - I feel out of control. I can write C code somewhat, but please - don't factor that into your assumptions of my skills, as I am crap with that too.

I want to write some apps, and I am highly technical and proficient with computers and code in general (the meaning of it all) but I am scaredddddddddddd, oh BOY am I!

Thanks! :D

ki4jgt
April 9th, 2011, 12:24 AM
Don't be scared. Computer languages are like normal languages. Just as long as you're able to tell the computer what you want to do, then you can proper it up (Proofread it) afterwards. All these people who are saying you must do something one way or another, are just offering their suggestions as to what they think would make your essay (Program) better. But an essay in any language can convey the same message using very different words. Take for example:
Microsoft Office
Open Office

Almost ALL the same functions, but no code shared, or else MS could sue OO.

A lot of people will tell you code isn't coded properly, and then will give you code which accomplishes the same thing as what you have already given (Because they think their way is better). What matters is that the program is programmed how you prefer it to be. It's your essay. It's your communication with the computer, which runs your program. Unless you're told a reason why the code is better (Like: It fixes security issues) If there is no reason, read up on the code, and then if you like it and think it makes your essay sound more proper: use it.

youbuntu
April 9th, 2011, 12:38 AM
Don't be scared. Computer languages are like normal languages. Just as long as you're able to tell the computer what you want to do, then you can proper it up (Proofread it) afterwards. All these people who are saying you must do something one way or another, are just offering their suggestions as to what they think would make your essay (Program) better. But an essay in any language can convey the same message using very different words. Take for example:
Microsoft Office
Open Office

Almost ALL the same functions, but no code shared, or else MS could sue OO.

A lot of people will tell you code isn't coded properly, and then will give you code which accomplishes the same thing as what you have already given (Because they think their way is better). What matters is that the program is programmed how you prefer it to be. It's your essay. It's your communication with the computer, which runs your program. Unless you're told a reason why the code is better (Like: It fixes security issues) If there is no reason, read up on the code, and then if you like it and think it makes your essay sound more proper: use it.

Thank you for the well-explained reply, and for the encouragement. I'm so easily put off coding, it drives me balmy! Can you suggest any n00b friendly resources for Android? :)

Thanks again, you're a star, God bless you dude.

unknownPoster
April 9th, 2011, 01:03 AM
Jumping straight into Android Development without significant prior experience will be EXTREMELY challenging. I won't say it can't be done, because I'm sure it can, but I would suggest you spend time developing your foundation first.

I would suggest you spend time learning Java first as it's the most similar to the code you will be writing for android.

You'll need a strong grasp of both GUI design and Object Oriented Programming in order to be successful writing Android Apps.

youbuntu
April 9th, 2011, 01:48 AM
Jumping straight into Android Development without significant prior experience will be EXTREMELY challenging. I won't say it can't be done, because I'm sure it can, but I would suggest you spend time developing your foundation first.

I would suggest you spend time learning Java first as it's the most similar to the code you will be writing for android.

You'll need a strong grasp of both GUI design and Object Oriented Programming in order to be successful writing Android Apps.

I know GUI design, and I also know some Java/VB/C/C++. I merely need to be pointed to the correct resources, that don't assume a background in app coding.

v1ad
April 9th, 2011, 02:06 AM
i just set up my eclipse and sdk, first thing i noticed is that i have to get back to my java roots. got rusty after not doing any programming. so hit the online tutorials for a week or two, and then come back and try to develop apps. i am in the same phase as you except i know what i need to do and that it will require a lot of time and knowledge to get it done properly.

SevenMachines
April 9th, 2011, 09:26 AM
Try,
http://developer.android.com/guide/index.html
It is decent to get your head around the concepts and such of android programming.
For anyone just starting, theres also the traditional 'hello world' example that step by step shows you how to set up eclipse for android and make the classic first app, always handy when organising your dev environment i find.
http://developer.android.com/resources/tutorials/hello-world.html

Note that developer.android.com also has an awful lot more demos and examples for more advanced programs too depending on what level your at

http://developer.android.com/resources/browser.html?tag=sample

v1ad
April 9th, 2011, 10:27 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lESZqCflB0o

this video clip is awesome. 2 hours though, i will watch all of their other clips also.

creates an app from start to finish.

simeon87
April 9th, 2011, 12:04 PM
If you're starting out then Android programming is "cutting edge", you need to learn a programming language first such as Java. You will need to understand the concepts of the language first before you can even think of doing Android programming. You need to walk before you can run.

Durden
April 9th, 2011, 04:46 PM
He already said he knows multiple languages

simeon87
April 9th, 2011, 06:31 PM
He already said he knows multiple languages

The opening post does not really suggest his confidence to use that knowledge. You have to start somewhere and then starting with Android programming is daunting. You need some programming knowledge first before you'd want to do develop on a platform that isn't your laptop.

Durden
April 9th, 2011, 06:35 PM
If you had taken the time to actually read the thread you would see he has pretty extensive programming experience. He's simply asking about Android development.

simeon87
April 9th, 2011, 06:56 PM
If you had taken the time to actually read the thread you would see he has pretty extensive programming experience. He's simply asking about Android development.

Your claim that he knows multiple languages is not found in this thread. Furthermore, the only quote that demonstrates his previous programming knowledge is "I am highly technical and proficient with computers and code in general" but that is pretty much nullified by claims as "I can write C code somewhat, but please - don't factor that into your assumptions of my skills, as I am crap with that too." and "I've gone from writing an app in 5 mins with App Inventor, to being scared out of my wits with Eclipse, and writing NOTHING in three DAYS!"

I'm not here to critize the poster, I'm just saying that you must walk before you can run.

Your claim that he has pretty extensive programming experience is not something I find in this thread.

youbuntu
April 9th, 2011, 10:43 PM
Please, let me make the claims, so we can progress.

1/ I know a little C & C++
2/ I did Visual Basic 10 years ago - it was easy
3/ I know a little Java, and want to learn more through Android programming
4/ I learned some PIC assembley over Christmas (SO easy!)

If you'd not talk about me as if I am not here, it would help.

Legendary_Bibo
April 9th, 2011, 10:59 PM
You should probably learn the language (as in be a master at it or at least journeyman level) before you try making an android app. Also, set some realistic goals for your app, and stick with them.

We don't need more broken/abandoned apps.

Jonas thomas
April 10th, 2011, 12:52 AM
Please, let me make the claims, so we can progress.

1/ I know a little C & C++
2/ I did Visual Basic 10 years ago - it was easy
3/ I know a little Java, and want to learn more through Android programming
4/ I learned some PIC assembley over Christmas (SO easy!)

If you'd not talk about me as if I am not here, it would help.

Yah know... Sometimes you do need to slow down in order to speed up.
I consider myself a very good vb6 programmer. I have an interest in OpenCascade with is a solid modeler for CAD written in C++.. Didn't know anything about Solids and hardly anything in C++. I tried reading books, that helped some but hard to progress (for me anyway). I experienced much frustration which I suspect you do now. I wound up taking a class which slowed me down to learn fundamentals (This has helped me considerably..) I suppose if I wanted to learn Japanese the best way to do it would be to move to Japan.. (It would still help to take a class first)... I suspect you could figure this stuff pretty quick if this is what you did for a living.. As in learn it or get fired... My C++ is getting better.

youbuntu
April 10th, 2011, 01:53 AM
Yah know... Sometimes you do need to slow down in order to speed up.
I consider myself a very good vb6 programmer. I have an interest in OpenCascade with is a solid modeler for CAD written in C++.. Didn't know anything about Solids and hardly anything in C++. I tried reading books, that helped some but hard to progress (for me anyway). I experienced much frustration which I suspect you do now. I wound up taking a class which slowed me down to learn fundamentals (This has helped me considerably..) I suppose if I wanted to learn Japanese the best way to do it would be to move to Japan.. (It would still help to take a class first)... I suspect you could figure this stuff pretty quick if this is what you did for a living.. As in learn it or get fired... My C++ is getting better.

That's very insightful advice - thanks! :D

youbuntu
April 11th, 2011, 03:46 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lESZqCflB0o

this video clip is awesome. 2 hours though, i will watch all of their other clips also.

creates an app from start to finish.

Thank you SO SO much! I am watching this now, and it is SO easy to follow - the guy is great!

God bless you my friend! :D

Take care :)

sandy8925
July 16th, 2011, 07:14 PM
I know there hasn't been any discussion here for a few months, but my opinion is: learn basics of Java, read about the fundamentals of Android programs at developer.android.com. If you're impatient in any way, you can try sl4a(I recommend using Python) to quickly create a few small programs. I would try mastering Java first, but for me I need to actually apply the stuff to master it, so I'd rather do both at the same time (i.e develop for Android and learn Java)