PDA

View Full Version : Windows 8 Aero = Auto-Colorzation of Windows

Lucradia
April 8th, 2011, 08:06 PM
Tired of finding the right color that matches your desktop wallpaper? Well, Windows 8 will take the average of the most color and apply it to your aero windows: http://www.withinwindows.com/2011/04/06/windows-8-secrets-aero-auto-colorization/

Wish Ubuntu could do that without composition :V

3Miro
April 8th, 2011, 08:21 PM

Setting up the color of the window decorations has nothing to do with composition. This shouldn't be hard to code, that is, assuming MS hasn't patented it already.

BTW Windows Aero is composition.

Quadunit404
April 8th, 2011, 08:27 PM
I'm probably gonna skip over Windows 8 since, well, it doesn't really impress me that much, and they replaced the BSOD with this:

http://i2.cdn.turner.com/money/2011/04/04/technology/windows_8/windows_8_black_screen.jc.top.jpg

:| Microsoft, I am disappoint.

llua+
April 8th, 2011, 08:33 PM
I'm probably gonna skip over Windows 8 since, well, it doesn't really impress me that much, and they replaced the BSOD with this:

http://i2.cdn.turner.com/money/2011/04/04/technology/windows_8/windows_8_black_screen.jc.top.jpg

:| Microsoft, I am disappoint.

Give me liberty BSODs or give me death.

Lucradia
April 8th, 2011, 08:43 PM
Now it's BSoR :P Or known as Be Sore :P

WinterMadness
April 8th, 2011, 09:13 PM
Im not at all impressed with this feature.

Call me when I dont have to defrag.

Lucradia
April 8th, 2011, 09:14 PM
Im not at all impressed with this feature.

Windows Vista+ does silent defrags whenever it can.

3Miro
April 8th, 2011, 09:15 PM

I am signed up on the waiting list for HDD cache. Visual stuff like that may look nice, but they lack way too many features under the hood that windows is just unusable for my work.

WinterMadness
April 8th, 2011, 09:19 PM

That sounds nice.

You know whats nicer? Not having to do it period

wolfen69
April 8th, 2011, 10:19 PM
Tired of finding the right color that matches your desktop wallpaper? Well, Windows 8 will take the average of the most color and apply it to your aero windows: http://www.withinwindows.com/2011/04/06/windows-8-secrets-aero-auto-colorization/

Ultimate Edition Lite already does this.

BigCityCat
April 8th, 2011, 10:49 PM
Yeh that looks pretty nice. Do you think I should do a lot of online banking with it?

jerenept
April 8th, 2011, 11:07 PM
That sounds nice.

the only filesystem I know of with a built-in defragger is HFS+
Ext(2,3,4) only work around the issue.

spupy
April 9th, 2011, 04:11 PM
In Windows 7, Microsoft added a new Personalization interface, allowing users to customize their desktops as they wished.

HAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAOHBOY

Call me when you can change the theme without patching DLLs.

NCLI
April 9th, 2011, 04:34 PM
Isn't working around the issue better than working with it?

WinterMadness
April 9th, 2011, 07:18 PM

this. i dont have to deal with any defragging, or silent defragging my machine runs as if it never happens.

Dustin2128
April 9th, 2011, 08:05 PM
Ultimate Edition Lite already does this.
Anyone else wonder what is with windows product designations?

Lightstar
April 9th, 2011, 08:15 PM
I think that's pretty ugly.

I rather keep my windows 7 half-transparent window borders.
Being transparent, it matches every single thing behind it without having to change the actual theme.

Though it doesn't matter so much since I'm on Linux most of the time.

Ctrl-Alt-F1
April 11th, 2011, 06:25 AM
Anyone else wonder what is with windows product designations?

eh?
http://distrowatch.com/?newsid=06394

Sand & Mercury
April 11th, 2011, 06:45 AM
I'm waiting to see what they actually come up with in terms of visual style before I say what I think of this or that new feature with regards to customisation. I doubt they'll be sticking with the Aero style, or at the very least I hope not -- Metro looks utterly sweet while Aero is kitchy as all getout.

Ext filesystems fragment. What you're implying is that it's better to ignore the problem than it is to provide utilities to deal with it.

wolfen69
April 11th, 2011, 07:33 AM
Ext filesystems fragment.

Sure, but by the time it became a problem years later, your installation would be very obsolete. Linux by default keeps fragmentation to a minimum and is usually not a problem.

disabledaccount
April 11th, 2011, 07:46 AM
Ext filesystems fragment. What you're implying is that it's better to ignore the problem than it is to provide utilities to deal with it.What You are implying is that there's no difference between Ext4 and other filesystems in terms of fragmentation - while in fact the difference is *HUGE* After several years and many Terabytes transferred fragmentation usually doesn't exceed 2% - so Ext4 does not need defragmentation. Only reindexing of directories can be sometimes usefull - and this is provided by fsck. Furthermore Ext4 is the only known filesystem (at least to me) that can align files with underlying array stripes and the only filesystem that have most critical parameters tunable without reformatting - what allows to change performance profile on-the-fly. Compare it to poor old NTFS :)

edit: And one more thing: defragmentation of single file/set of files/directory can be easily done by simply creating a copy and then removing original - this triggers block allocator to find new continous space on the disk.

Artemis3
April 11th, 2011, 09:06 AM

XFS has online defrag, btrfs will have it too. ext2,3,4 has an offline defrag tool, altho its rarely needed when you keep enough free space.

spupy
April 11th, 2011, 10:59 AM
I WinFS turns out not to be vaporware and comes out with Win8 that will be good.

Microsoft always has very nice ideas, in research also, but when it comes to release they are either not there, limited and poorly implemented, or without enough marketing.

disabledaccount
April 11th, 2011, 11:58 AM
I WinFS turns out not to be vaporware and comes out with Win8 that will be good.WinFS was supposed to implement system-wide complex variant datatype as a way for storing data - I don't think it is good idea considering low performance of variant datatypes, scattered physical data allocation (what leads to wasting of memory) and possible security holes. Besides, database-like access is slow - each application knows better what it needs and how to efficiently store its data. It seems to me that MS forgot that power and speed comes from simplicity - filesystem is supposed to hold data, not interpretting file contents (which can be insecure).

edit: but maybe I should watch that new colors in upcoming new windows version instead of bothering about it 's filesystem :)

ikt
April 11th, 2011, 02:29 PM

I assume this is turned off if you have an SSD drive right?

Lucradia
April 11th, 2011, 02:33 PM
I assume this is turned off if you have an SSD drive right?

Don't know, I would rather buy a 10,000 RPM SATA non-SSD Drive than an SSD Drive due to price restrictions. Though, I don't need more than 160 GB of space.

ikt
April 11th, 2011, 02:44 PM
Don't know, I would rather buy a 10,000 RPM SATA non-SSD Drive than an SSD Drive due to price restrictions. Though, I don't need more than 160 GB of space.

I see.

I was mainly concerned with this silent defragmentation software destroying SSD drives.

dh04000
April 11th, 2011, 05:09 PM
Maybe the emerald window manger engine successor can be built to have this function?

screaminj3sus
April 11th, 2011, 08:18 PM
That sounds nice.

Yeah that would be nice, but fragmentation in ntfs is not nearly as bad as people make it out to be. And windows 7 does a great job at silently defragging in the background and never bothering you. I haven't event even had to think of defragging since vista.

I think people trying to make fragmentation into some kind of legitimate criticism against windows are grasping at straws.

Maybe the emerald window manger engine successor can be built to have this function?

Is there a successor of emerald even being worked on? Its pretty sad how ugly aliased window borders are considered acceptable on a composted desktop. I've been expecting distros like ubuntu to ship with proper anti-aliased decorations for ages now.

I see.

I was mainly concerned with this silent defragmentation software destroying SSD drives.

Windows 7 automatically disables defragging when it detects an ssd. it also disables superfetch if your ssd read speed is fast enough. Even if you manually open the defragger an ssd just doesn't show up as a defraggable drive.