PDA

View Full Version : [xubuntu] Direct install over slackware ...

mind_exploit
April 8th, 2011, 05:19 PM
Hello,

I have slackware on my laptop but it's pretty buggy lately, and last night it really pissed me off freezing and loosing the volume icon. (?!...!!!) So I decided to install Xubuntu over it.
(Most probably it'll be Xubuntu, 11.04 ... or maybe Aptosid with XFCE :) ...)

But - I'd like to try not to format the home partition. Now it's separated. (The partitions now are /boot, swap, / and /home.) So, I plan to:
1. Boot from the USB;
2. Delete all the hidden files and folders from the the /home. So anything that the Slackware has put and/or set - to be cleared.
3. Directly install, keeping the current partitions, but without formatting the home.

So ... could there be some problems ? ... or maybe give me some advise on what exactly I should do in order not to loose anything on my current home?

PS: The only thing that I think of that could make some problems is that when I booted Xubuntu 10.10 on my working machine - it couldn't mount any of the hard drives ... ? So if this happens on my laptop too - I won't manage to delete all the hidden stuff on the home.

andrew.46
April 9th, 2011, 09:08 AM
Can I suggest if you are considering any re-installation that you give the new version of Slackware a go first? 13.37 will be released in a week or so, I have been running the development version (slackware -current) on my laptop for quite some time and it promises to be the best release for some time.

Concerning you installation of Xubuntu: others may disagree but if it were my own system I would backup all vital files to an external drive and then do a clean installation. Avoids a lot of mucking around...