PDA

View Full Version : Unity Top Panel Question

kevin11951
April 8th, 2011, 04:19 PM
In Gnome 2, if you resized the screen (on a laptop for example) the applets would get all screwed up, and appear in different places. This was due to the fact that Gnome used "absolute" locations for applets, and absolute locations change when the screen res. changes.

Has this been fixed in Unity?

3Miro
April 8th, 2011, 04:36 PM
Unity has only three applets. Left-most is the menu and right next to it is the window name + File/View menu. On the right, there is the session (username), notification area, clock and sound prefs just like in 10.10. I don't think those are absolute, so it should be fine.

kevin11951
April 8th, 2011, 09:33 PM
Has anyone tested Unity on a laptop with varying screen resolutions yet?

ugm6hr
April 8th, 2011, 10:10 PM
On the right, there is the session (username), notification area, clock and sound prefs just like in 10.10. I don't think those are absolute, so it should be fine.

These are the things that rearrange themselves on my laptop (10.10) going from external monitor to laptop screen.
Hence, I would be surprised if this has changed.

kevin11951
April 8th, 2011, 10:38 PM
These are the things that rearrange themselves on my laptop (10.10) going from external monitor to laptop screen.
Hence, I would be surprised if this has changed.

The applets are not user movable in Unity, so either the problem has been fixed, or that really sucks for laptop users because you cant fix it once its been broken...

(Technically you could delete the gconf panel scheme, but new users wont know how to do that...)

ugm6hr
April 9th, 2011, 04:14 PM
The applets are not user movable in Unity, so either the problem has been fixed, or that really sucks for laptop users because you cant fix it once its been broken.

I swap between 2 screens so often, I've gotten used to the "new" layout on 1 of the screens.
Will give 11.04 a go at some point and see if the problem persists. Don't want to report it as a bug if it has been fixed.

NCLI
April 9th, 2011, 04:21 PM
The applets are not user movable in Unity, so either the problem has been fixed, or that really sucks for laptop users because you cant fix it once its been broken...

(Technically you could delete the gconf panel scheme, but new users wont know how to do that...)
It's fixed for me, so I'd say yes. The panel is generally much more static(For better or worse, I won't argue that), making it easy to fix this bug. The big button and global menu are always stuck to the left, and the indicators are always stuck to the right.