PDA

View Full Version : Do you use workspaces?

ikt
April 8th, 2011, 03:16 PM
How many workspaces do you use on average?

kansasnoob
April 8th, 2011, 03:24 PM
I typically use 3 but 4 combined in a cube is not a problem. I just like to be able to click on any one of the 3 or 4 and have that workspace open directly w/o additional clicks or keystrokes.

3Miro
April 8th, 2011, 03:31 PM
On something like XFCE where I can switch very fast, I use about 6 - 8. On Copiz, I go 4 - 6. I cannot live without workspaces.

uRock
April 8th, 2011, 03:35 PM
I use them. I love the new workspace switcher in Unity. It is cool to be able to see all four at once and organize the windows.

3Miro
April 8th, 2011, 03:40 PM
I use them. I love the new workspace switcher in Unity. It is cool to be able to see all four at once and organize the windows.

That is not part of Unity, that is just Compiz Expo, but yet it is very nice.

Simian Man
April 8th, 2011, 03:51 PM

KDE has had that for quite a while, it is very nice.

Frogs Hair
April 8th, 2011, 03:57 PM
I use up to four at times due to small monitor syndrome.

Grenage
April 8th, 2011, 04:02 PM
I use three monitors, simply because if I didn't want it on the screen, it would be minimised.

Random_Dude
April 8th, 2011, 04:06 PM
Depends.
If I'm on the default gnome environment I don't usually switch between workspaces.
If I'm using awesome I usually use 3 sometimes 4.

Cheers :cool:

Spice Weasel
April 8th, 2011, 04:22 PM
I'm using 9 virtual desktops. They are similar to workspaces but more powerful.

ukripper
April 8th, 2011, 04:51 PM
2 mostly

WRDN
April 8th, 2011, 05:05 PM
I typically use 4 workspaces, allowing for a clear divide between work items, and other stuff. For ease and speed of access, F1-F4 are mapped as workspace switchers.

Lisimelis
April 8th, 2011, 05:11 PM
Really helpful feature!!! It saves me from a lot of frustration while organizing my work. I use only ubuntu at the office and this was one of the reasons when I first got to know Linux.

youbuntu
April 8th, 2011, 05:19 PM
I think the workspace switcher in Unity is brilliant! It is exactly like Apple's one, even down to the transition speed (and I'm not saying that copying the idea is a problem - we all should learn & share ideas... and besides, who had workspaces first, eh? ;))

Great! I have yet to use it, but superbly impressed with it!!

3Miro
April 8th, 2011, 05:21 PM
I am surprised that 10 people said "no workspaces". How do those people manage to stay alive?

youbuntu
April 8th, 2011, 05:24 PM
I am surprised that 10 people said "no workspaces". How do those people manage to stay alive?

Explain please... :?

false truths
April 8th, 2011, 05:24 PM
I use workspaces, but the number varies from 2-16 depending on how many I need at the time. GNOME Shell automatic workspaces ftw. I guess I'd list myself as 5+ since I go up to 16.

3Miro
April 8th, 2011, 05:27 PM
Explain please... :?

Workspaces are such a vital part of my life that I don't think how anyone can live without them. It is a bad attempt at a joke, but I am indeed surprised that so many people don't use workspaces.

WannabeFantasma
April 8th, 2011, 05:34 PM
I don't really use workspaces...
Actually one of the first things I did after installing Ubuntu 10.04 was removing 2 of the workspaces from the bar...
I still have 2 but I always use 1...

Reason: Not really sure, but It works for me so :D

Copper Bezel
April 8th, 2011, 05:35 PM
I'm surprised by that as well.

I usually use two. I have a third activated, but it's rare that I actually use it. I'm finding them more useful for organizing tasks now that I'm using Compiz wallpaper, which helps me remember where I put stuff. I don't use them to get stuff out of the way (that's what minimizing is for) but I will switch workspaces if I'm working on a project and interrupt it for another, or use one for image editing and another for a browser if I'm posting images somewhere, etc.

Edit: Oh, and I generally use mouse scroll to switch to a new workspace for the first time when I'm starting a new task and use a Scale corner (All Workspaces) to switch from then out. I only use Expo if I've managed to get myself disorganized and have to rearrange everything.

msandoy
April 8th, 2011, 05:35 PM
I use 4 workspaces. I use resistance sensitive edges, and auto switching with the mouse movement. So, if I move the mouse passed the right/left edge of the screen, it auto switches to the next workspace. And windows focus (not raise) follows mouse. It confuses the hell out of my wife when she tries to use my computer. It's my computer, and I have it set up the way I want it. :-)

uRock
April 8th, 2011, 05:50 PM

I find myself wishing Windows 7 had a workspace changer. I don't like having to scroll over all of the minimize windows to find the one I need to see, especially when I have several browsers and PDFs open while doing a cisco lab that requires one window for each router/switch/host. It is nice to be able to organize these things across multiple desktops.

Elfy
April 8th, 2011, 05:52 PM
I typically use 4 workspaces, allowing for a clear divide between work items, and other stuff. For ease and speed of access, F1-F4 are mapped as workspace switchers.

snap - well almost, I just use 3 - but they're mapped to f1-f3 :)

msandoy
April 8th, 2011, 05:53 PM
I remember testing a workspace switcher for Windows XP, it was possible to download it from microsoft's official download site. It did not work properly, and the minimize function did not take the current workspace into concideration when it was restored. It just made a mess of everything. :-)

3Miro
April 8th, 2011, 05:53 PM
I find myself wishing Windows 7 had a workspace changer. I don't like having to scroll over all of the minimize windows to find the one I need to see, especially when I have several browsers and PDFs open while doing a cisco lab that requires one window for each router/switch/host. It is nice to be able to organize these things across multiple desktops.

Yes, I don't like that about windows either. It is just so easy to completely clutter the task-bar.

brydonhunter
April 8th, 2011, 05:54 PM
I use 4 workspaces and can't live without them... It drives me nuts when I have to work in Windows and only have one "workspace" to work with sooo many screens on top of each other.

Gotta love Linux !!

false truths
April 8th, 2011, 05:58 PM
For those of you who get frustrated with the lack of workspaces on Windows machines, check out this little toy: http://virtuawin.sourceforge.net/

It's a workspace engine for Windows. Doesn't let you do things like Expo, but it allows you to have as many workspaces as you like, and you can map keys to move around the workspaces, or just map keys to individual workspaces to jump to them quickly.

BrokenKingpin
April 8th, 2011, 06:10 PM
I use two workspaces. The only issue is I work in a Windows environment all day, so when I am at home I sometimes forget about them or do not fully utilize them. Also I find if I am on a dual monitor setup I do not use them as much.

I wish Windows had workspaces (there is some applications that do something similar, but I find them buggy and do not integrate very well).

uRock
April 8th, 2011, 06:11 PM
For those of you who get frustrated with the lack of workspaces on Windows machines, check out this little toy: http://virtuawin.sourceforge.net/

It's a workspace engine for Windows. Doesn't let you do things like Expo, but it allows you to have as many workspaces as you like, and you can map keys to move around the workspaces, or just map keys to individual workspaces to jump to them quickly.

I'll have to give that a shot the next time I boot Windows. THanx for sharing.:)

lisati
April 8th, 2011, 06:12 PM
I generally use only one. When I've had the need to use more, it has rarely gone above two.

ikt
April 8th, 2011, 06:43 PM
I generally use only one. When I've had the need to use more, it has rarely gone above two.

Yep I am the same, I don't know if it's ingrained from using windows every day for 20 years or something but I find it easier to minimise/maximise and switch windows that way than spreading my work out over 4 separate windows.

I hope I'll 'get it' one day because it seems like a useful feature to use.

Dragonbite
April 8th, 2011, 06:43 PM
I like using about 4 workspaces on my desktop and switching them with the Compiz cube effect (just for fun). My laptop too, if I have it working.

Joeb454
April 8th, 2011, 06:48 PM
I have 9 available, and on a busy day, I use each one for different things. For me it helps me keep things organised :)

nothingspecial
April 8th, 2011, 06:57 PM
I use 6 in xfce and gnome

In the console it gets silly because I'm logged into 2 other boxes using byobu with about 6-8 "workspaces" on 2 different ttys (sort of console work spaces), then I have my own byobu with 8-10 "workspaces" plus 2 more ttys, one for links2 -g and one for mplayer because they don't work within terminal multiplexers.............

...........so, if you look at it that way, I can have up to 28........

.....I only say this because I'm guessing (with absolutely no knowledge at all) that the whole idea of workspaces developed from the notion of tty1, tty2, tty3 etc etc etc

MrNatewood
April 8th, 2011, 10:41 PM
I use "only" one and to be perfectly honest I have never understood what need do they fulfill. Seems more like an extra bother to have stuff going on on different workspaces. But I guess it just wasn't meant for my use case. To each his own.

thenickrulz
April 8th, 2011, 10:44 PM
I use 4..

ilovelinux33467
April 8th, 2011, 10:47 PM
I have 4

cariboo
April 9th, 2011, 12:36 AM
I typically use 3 but 4 combined in a cube is not a problem. I just like to be able to click on any one of the 3 or 4 and have that workspace open directly w/o additional clicks or keystrokes.

I have to agree, the workspace switcher in Unity isn't very useful, I run docky, and have added the workspace switcher docklet to go directly to the desktop I want. I normally use 4 worksapces.

gsmanners
April 9th, 2011, 12:50 AM
I use "only" one and to be perfectly honest I have never understood what need do they fulfill.

Workspaces simply group windows together. This reduces clutter and makes the desktop easier to navigate. Most people probably like to categorize their workspaces. For example, I always put the most frequently used app in my first workspace, the second most used app in the second workspace, and so on. Less overlap means less clicking to bring your windows to the front and so on. It also means that what is going on in an app in another workspace is less likely to distract you from what you are working on in the current workspace, which can make you more feel more focused and productive.

In most window managers, you can also click-drag windows between different spaces in the workspace switcher itself (a feature I use a lot).

LowSky
April 9th, 2011, 12:55 AM
Usually I don't use them unless I'm doing many things at once and I don't want to accidentally close a program. Especially if I'm working with multiple documents or spreadsheets.