PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Update has stopped computer working

bobman500
April 8th, 2011, 09:34 AM
I just ran the update manager, as I do every week or so, and installed the updates. It required a restart, and now it refuses to get past logging in. I log in as normal, and it just gives me a big black screen. The keyboard won't do anything, the mouse moves around fine in the screen, but there is nothing to click.

I haven't got a clue where to begin, please help :confused:

bobman500
April 8th, 2011, 09:47 AM
Ok, an update. Now sometimes I get pop-ups warning me that my battery is low, but they flicker and then vanish after a few seconds

Dutch70
April 8th, 2011, 11:31 AM
Try logging in to an older kernel. If you only have Ubuntu installed and don't get a grub menu so that you can login to an old kernel, try hitting the escape key, or the shift key to bring up the grub menu.

bobman500
April 8th, 2011, 11:21 PM
Ok, I got a previous version working. It's not showing any icons, just little boxes, and the sound, wireless, and laptop keyboard and mouse aren't working. What now?

Dutch70
April 9th, 2011, 03:12 PM
What version of Ubuntu are we talking about here? If it's 11.04, this thread should be in the Natty Narwhal testing & discussion section of the forum, not in the support section & you should report the bug.