PDA

View Full Version : What's the biggets thing you've ever coded?

Ob1
May 8th, 2006, 10:01 PM
the most interesting program i ever did was a pac-man clone.

what about you?

RavenOfOdin
May 8th, 2006, 10:09 PM
A client networking console (Telnet/secure sockets enabled)

orlox
May 9th, 2006, 12:01 AM
I don't know if it was the biggest thing i did, but some time ago i helped a friend with an absurd program he had to make for a programming course on college. It was a simplyfied monopoly game, and they wouldn let them use arrays!! Anyway, I did that as fast as I could abusing of the power of control-c control-v so it really turned out big for such a simple thing...

tehDeuce
May 9th, 2006, 12:23 AM
I really haven't coded anything large yet. My biggest would be either a game of minesweepers I coded in Java, or a bot I did in PHP. I've yet to think of something that would be fun to code and large (most of the things I code are small things, usually in Python). Of course, right now I'm only coding for pleasure, so when I'm in the workforce I'll be doing more...substancial coding.

LordHunter317
May 9th, 2006, 02:03 AM
Personally? A website of about ~35-40K lines or so. I'm too lazy to take an accurate count ATM.

Professionally? One project I worked on had several hundred thousand lines of code, possibly in excess of a million.

krypto_wizard
May 9th, 2006, 02:18 AM
I am still a newbie. The biggest ever I did was in C for a class project for Solving Numerical Method Problems. I am onto Python now for one another class project and I have written around 600 lines of code.

pharcyde
May 9th, 2006, 03:40 AM
A whole Pascal compiler written in C for my compilers course. Pain in the *** and way too much code for a 3 hour class :). Overall it was still a fun project and good experience.

unbuntu
May 9th, 2006, 05:11 AM
A simple chat client/server written in C using socket, and line count is about 1200...although I think I've done a bigger one in PHP, and that's an online shopping site similar to osCommerce (well, not in the same league...)

thumper
May 9th, 2006, 08:44 AM
Written from scratch - a web based application for reconciling bond prices - Java front end, C++ back end - somewhere in the vacinity of 40-50 kloc.

System worked on - a trading system for an investment bank which is around 2 million loc (C++).

sphinx
May 9th, 2006, 01:10 PM
In a biotech startups client-server system, I was one of two developers who wrote the server component(Java) from scratch, about 50-60k loc. Helped out on the client application which I'm guessing was about 30-40k loc. Maybe its just because I know the projects so well, but both of those apps really dont seem that big.

Starting a new Job next week with a multinational consulting firm, I'd say there would be bigger systems to work on there.

daneel_olivaw
May 9th, 2006, 03:16 PM
uhm.. probably a name-server in java with clients connecting through them to servers which provided a complex numer expression parser; there was a certain level of reliability (multiple fail points allowed) in the system, but i don't wanna bore anyone here :P

Kimm
May 9th, 2006, 04:31 PM
My biggest program ever written was probably one in my series of word processors for windows (Atlantis Editor 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 and 8 ).

I never acctually spread them, so none had any use of them (besides me), and even though it used the RichEdit control it had a few hundred thousand lines of code (Visual Basic 6 8-[ :-& )

Unfortunently, its all lost now :( I might have a floppy with one of the versions when I still called it "Greenhouse word", sometimes I wish I hadnt goten rid of them, since they where some of my first programs ever.

Now, my biggest program is probably an uncompleted frontend for "./configure", "make" and "make install" currently terminal only and up for an almost complete rewrite (I realiced the way I coded it wasnt perfect for newbies), right now it consists of... 734 lines of C code

That project will be pushed aside now however as I will write a database for storing info and images conserning aquatic animals (not just fish) in C# and GTK# this will probably be my largest Linux project so far.

xenmax
May 9th, 2006, 05:56 PM
Personally, a couple hundred lines of code for a stupid graphical 2 user tic-tac-toe game i wrote using graphics.h when i was learning C++ using TurboC IDE.

Professionally, in C++, the only thing i have only coded is a reference model in C++ for a design that was a few thousand lines of code.

bboozzoo
May 9th, 2006, 09:34 PM
seems like my master thesis, around 10 kloc in C++, C and flex/bison

GNUrag
May 10th, 2006, 08:39 AM
heh, perhaps it was a Container Booking and Tracking software in PHP that i'm doing right now.. Its fun spreading FOSS philosophy in shipping industry :-)

red_Marvin
May 10th, 2006, 04:52 PM
Mine is an expression evaluator with user defined variables etc and a cli interface - about 700 lines of code. I made a gtk+ gui for it too but have never put them together - 400? lines...

indytim
May 10th, 2006, 05:44 PM
One of my business apps (captive) is 110 php programs averaging ~400 lines / program and db structure of 50 tables.](*,)

IndyTim

hotani
May 10th, 2006, 06:02 PM
my current project: case management database application for a large multi-office lawfirm (state gubment).

It is thousands of lines of code, using RH, MySQL, lots of javascript, and .... *gasp* ColdFusion (I didn't pick it!). Looking to move it to something else for the next version, maybe a python or ruby-based framework.