PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Trouble upgrading from 8.04 to 10.4

connundrummer
April 8th, 2011, 04:12 AM
I got a really bad virus on my main computer and decided I should just install Ubuntu like I previously had installed on a laptop.

Anyway, I used an old 7.10 install disk that I usually use and I upgraded from 7.10 to 8.4 LTS (that went off without a hitch) ,but when I upgraded from 8.4 LTS to 10.4LTS the install hung up at one point. The system was stuck 7 minutes from completion trying to set up the rsyslog. I left the dialog box up for 3 hours to no avail.

I proceeded to reformat the drive to try again and it ended the same way. I currently have the system with the install dialog up and stopped at the setting up of the rsyslog.

here is a picture of the install window
http://upload.willhost.it/1/tuoa.png

Please leave suggestions!
Thank you!

Quackers
April 8th, 2011, 04:22 AM
Welcome to UF.
Did you manually run the sudo dmraid command?

If you have already re-formatted, I presume that you are now trying a fresh install of 10.04 from the live cd? Is that correct?

connundrummer
April 8th, 2011, 04:34 AM
Hello,:D

Yes, my brother just entered the command in the window after doing a vague search on how to configure raid (Do not know what he was thinking).

Yes, I used an old 7.10 live disk to install Ubuntu.

Ps. Thanks

Quackers
April 8th, 2011, 04:37 AM
If you are using a Distribution Upgrade, it seems that you have not re-formatted the drive.
Are you using a raid array? If you are, that last command removed raid metadata from your sda drive.

connundrummer
April 8th, 2011, 04:47 AM
I used G-parted to reformat the drive while Ubuntu was running on a live Disk to reformat.
After that reformat, I let the Install utility use the whole disk.

No, I have my raid controller disabled and my second drive is unplugged.

Quackers
April 8th, 2011, 04:52 AM
Maybe I'm missing something here :-)
If you have re-formatted the drive, there is nothing on it.
If there is nothing on it, there is no 8.04 to upgrade, yet your screenshot shows an upgrade in progress.
I would have thought that you would be running an install of 10.04 on an empty disc, not an upgrade.

connundrummer
April 8th, 2011, 05:05 AM
Sorry for the confusion!

The process went as follows

virus
Ubuntu 7.10 running on live disk
Used G-Parted to Reformat drive
Ran the install (used the whole hard disk no problems)
Used Update manager to upgrade from 7.10 to 8.04 LTS (no problem)
Use update manager to upgrade from 8.04 LTS to 10.4 LTS
after downloading updates, the install hangs on "setting up the rsyslog"
use a hard reset that ruins everything
try #2-7 again same results happen

Quackers
April 8th, 2011, 05:12 AM
Ah, I understand :-) Thanks for the clarification.
I'm afraid I can offer no information regarding the rsyslog error. I have not seen that before and cannot make any suggestion as to what it means.
What I would suggest is to download the 10.04 iso file and burn the image to disc, then do a fresh install.
Obviously you would first need to backup your home folder (including hidden files) and any other data that you may wish to keep.

On the other hand, somebody else may come up with advice which would be more preferrable to you :-)
Good luck in your quest :-)

It's 5am here now, so I must sleeeeeeeeeep.

connundrummer
April 8th, 2011, 05:21 AM
):PGood Night! and Thank You!

I will try Downloading the .iso over night that sounds like it would work.
I'm just Going to mark this as resolved and if I have any more problems I will make a new post.

Thank you!:D