PDA

View Full Version : Ubuntu: Raw GNOME Edition

hrhnick
April 8th, 2011, 04:04 AM
Just gauging interest in a project to make yet another Ubuntu spin.
"URGE" Linux, Ubuntu: Raw GNOME Edition would feature the latest GNOME 3, with both Gnome-Shell and Classic Panel sessions.

Fully configured by default to be as GNOME upstream as possible. It will still be based on Ubuntu, sharing repositories and PPA functionality.

Input? Comments? Please discuss.

conradin
April 8th, 2011, 04:06 AM
yes interested!
Make this a poll.

hrhnick
April 8th, 2011, 04:08 AM
yes interested!
Make this a poll.

Upped :-)

user1397
April 8th, 2011, 04:14 AM
I say why not, how could one more respin hurt linux at all? There're already hundreds of distributions, I'm pretty sure having one more wouldn't hurt a fly.

WinterMadness
April 8th, 2011, 04:40 AM
I think making a fort of a distribution is only really necessary when one adds functionality that logically wouldnt work well on the old distro.

So I dont really think using a different DE is honestly worth forking, when you could just install it on the old one.

hrhnick
April 8th, 2011, 04:44 AM
I think making a fort of a distribution is only really necessary when one adds functionality that logically wouldnt work well on the old distro.

So I dont really think using a different DE is honestly worth forking, when you could just install it on the old one.

It would be more of a spin than a fork I guess. Like the LXDE, XFCE, and KDE versions, since going forward, Unity will be the DE of Ubuntu.

WinterMadness
April 8th, 2011, 04:54 AM
I would really like if the major vendors found a way to make it so the user can select what DE they prefer upon installation.

I guess the way they could do it is if they discover the ability to go online with the install cd, during the process it could download the DE. if it cant go online, it could default to whatever is on the disk.

hrhnick
April 8th, 2011, 05:05 AM
I would really like if the major vendors found a way to make it so the user can select what DE they prefer upon installation.

I guess the way they could do it is if they discover the ability to go online with the install cd, during the process it could download the DE. if it cant go online, it could default to whatever is on the disk.

and thats a project i cannot tackle :-) I believe some distros do that already though, though it requires a dvd image which can be hard on users with limited bandwith.

ikt
April 8th, 2011, 06:32 AM

I don't understand what is to gain from doing it this way?

Why not make the decision 1 step before installation, and decide which ISO you want to download with the DE of your choice?

Mmmbopdowedop
April 8th, 2011, 08:42 AM

Why not make the decision 1 step before installation, and decide which ISO you want to download with the DE of your choice?

Works both ways; why limit yourself by only downloading one choice of DE when you can have the ability to install either?

With a Debian CD you can add desktop=YOUR_CHOICE at the bootscreen, i've used it many a times to hop between Gnome, KDE and XFCE when I want a clean install.

Downloading 3 different images in my case, would be pointless.

kansasnoob
April 8th, 2011, 09:26 AM
Just gauging interest in a project to make yet another Ubuntu spin.
"URGE" Linux, Ubuntu: Raw GNOME Edition would feature the latest GNOME 3, with both Gnome-Shell and Classic Panel sessions.

Fully configured by default to be as GNOME upstream as possible. It will still be based on Ubuntu, sharing repositories and PPA functionality.

Input? Comments? Please discuss.

I love it, sign me up as willing to help :D

lucazade
April 8th, 2011, 09:51 AM
Like every derivatives it will last 6 months, no need of half baked products. :)

hrhnick
April 8th, 2011, 12:43 PM
Like every derivatives it will last 6 months, no need of half baked products. :)

And why would it only last six months, and be half baked?

"I am a slow walker, but I never walk back."

lucazade
April 8th, 2011, 12:48 PM
And why would it only last six months, and be half baked?

"I am a slow walker, but I never walk back."

simple, "Like every derivatives".
hope this is not the case, but previous ubuntu derivatives were sad and without a great team it will probably be abandoned in a short time.

hrhnick
April 8th, 2011, 12:53 PM
simple, "Like every derivatives".
hope this is not the case, but previous ubuntu derivatives were sad and without a great team it will probably be abandoned in a short time.

Then I'll burn that bridge when I get to it. I'm simply just gauging interest, determining if it would be worth while, or a waste of time.

Dragonbite
April 8th, 2011, 01:45 PM
Would be interesting to see.

It could even be more Fedora-like focus which removes Mono apps too and sticks to the "official" Gnome-based apps (except for Firefox and Open/Libre Office).

hrhnick
April 8th, 2011, 02:55 PM

It could even be more Fedora-like focus which removes Mono apps too and sticks to the "official" Gnome-based apps (except for Firefox and Open/Libre Office).

Those are some of the decisions I was contemplating. Using the GNOME Apps, i.e. Epiphany and AbiWord/Gnumeric by default, or sticking to the stock Ubuntu apps.

Dragonbite
April 8th, 2011, 03:36 PM
Those are some of the decisions I was contemplating. Using the GNOME Apps, i.e. Epiphany and AbiWord/Gnumeric by default, or sticking to the stock Ubuntu apps.

I would prefer to see at least Firefox as the default browser. Most Gnome-based distros use Firefox as the default and if you are thinking of hooking into the Ubuntu repositories then Epiphany is still available.

Come to think of it, I think the last time I installed Fedora Gnome it had AbiWord and Gnumeric and not OpenOffice. It did, however, have Firefox.

WinterMadness
April 8th, 2011, 03:58 PM

as for whats to gain, it gets rid of useless derivatives of distros based on de changes solely. This often confuses new users to linux who never thought you can change the fundamental aspect of the os's gui.

Just show them a picture with a drop down list asking how they want their desktop to look.

90% of the derivative distros are completely unneeded. They dont add any functionality that cant exist on its original.

kansasnoob
April 8th, 2011, 04:11 PM
To me the default apps can be one of the last things to decide. My primary interest is in being able to create a "retro-gnome" feel using gnome3. Now, I've not yet been able to build a successful gnome3 DE on top of 11.04 but both of these PPA's are making progress:

https://launchpad.net/~gnome3-team/+archive/gnome3

https://launchpad.net/~ubuntugnometeam/+archive/gnome3

A couple of things make me think it's possible to use a typical panel setup with gnome3:

https://live.gnome.org/GNOME3Myths#GNOME_won.27t_support_the_current_pane l_and_window_manager_anymore

While it is true that the GNOME 3 experience will not include the panel as it was in GNOME 2, the window manager used in GNOME 3 will use a window manager that behaves consistently with the GNOME 2 window manager (metacity). This is because it uses most of the same code.

It is important to emphasize that GNOME 2 technologies will still be available through the usual channels for some time.

Downstream distributions such as Fedora, openSUSE and Ubuntu will have the option to include them in their distribution.

Fedora 15 currently has a metacity + panel "fallback" for hardware that doesn't support the shell + mutter. No need for a link here, I actually tried the Live CD with one set of hardware that supported gnome-shell, and another that didn't. Things are rough in their current state, and I also know too little about Fedora package management to waste much time playing with it, but the basic concept works.

Finally, this one surprises me, look at post #4 here:

http://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=1665

No, not Unity. We’re going for Gnome 3 using a traditional desktop layout (no Gnome Shell). Of course you’ll be able to add Unity or Gnome Shell yourself, but by default the desktop will look similar to the one we’re using at the moment.

The reason for my surprise is that Mint 11 will be based on our 11.04 which uses gnome 2.32 so, unless that was misspeak, I guess Clem's been working on gnome3 within the 11.04 base. AFAIK that would make Mint the first to release a Debian based gnome3 distro.

No doubt there will be challenges, such as:

http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel/2011/02/msg00489.html

Regardless I do think it would be a very worthwhile project :D

My biggest personal reason is that I'm visually impaired and I simply loved being able to customize my Ubuntu desktop to look like this:

It just works :)

3rdalbum
April 8th, 2011, 04:17 PM
gnome-stracciatella-session will give you vanilla Gnome 2 in Ubuntus 11.04 and below, and I'm sure that package will give you vanilla Gnome 3 in Ubuntus 11.10 and above.

Simian Man
April 8th, 2011, 04:20 PM
90% of the derivative distros are completely unneeded. They dont add any functionality that cant exist on its original.

I agree, Ubuntu is pointless because it's basically just Debian with different default packages.

hrhnick
April 8th, 2011, 04:26 PM
gnome-stracciatella-session will give you vanilla Gnome 2 in Ubuntus 11.04 and below, and I'm sure that package will give you vanilla Gnome 3 in Ubuntus 11.10 and above.

But it wouldn't address default apps, nor would it be available as an OOTB experience.

April 8th, 2011, 04:27 PM
im thinking of making a "Gnobuntu" for 11.10. so yes.

kansasnoob
April 8th, 2011, 04:31 PM

I'm running Natty right now and this is the current changelog for 'gnome-stracciatella-session':

stracciatella-session (0.0.3) lucid; urgency=low

* remove wrapper (uneeded with new GDM as GDMSESSION is exported by
it) and install from Makefile
* gnome-stracciatella.desktop.in: call gnome-session instead of wrapper

-- Didier Roche <didrocks@ubuntu.com> Mon, 07 Dec 2009 19:52:02 +0100

stracciatella-session (0.0.2) jaunty; urgency=low

* debian/control: Version the notification-daemon release, so that
it won't get satisfied by notify-osd's Provides:.

-- Martin Pitt <martin.pitt@ubuntu.com> Thu, 19 Feb 2009 18:04:38 +0100

stracciatella-session (0.0.1) jaunty; urgency=low

* Initial release. (See UbuntuSpec:stracciatella-session)

-- Martin Pitt <martin.pitt@ubuntu.com> Wed, 18 Feb 2009 20:28:59 +0100

No development since Dec 2009 and also the last time I used it my pulse-audio broke ;)

kansasnoob
April 8th, 2011, 05:34 PM
Just a thought about the "why bother" comments that are bound to crop up. I did a lot of testing for Ubuntuzilla:

http://ubuntuforums.org/forumdisplay.php?f=251

It's now ending because, to quote nanotube:

Greetings loyal users, and newcomers alike.

We've had a great few years with ubuntuzilla - for a while there was no better way to get timely updates for stable releases of mozilla products than the ubuntuzilla repository.

It seems that those days are over - now the official ubuntu repositories move swiftly to include updates for firefox, thunderbird, and seamonkey - often the very next day after their release from mozilla.

Thus, it seems that there is no longer a need in the ubuntu community for a third party repository to host these official builds.

As a result, I have pushed out what will probably be the last update to the ubuntuzilla repository, Firefox 3.6.15, Thunderbird 3.1.9, and Seamonkey 2.0.12.

Unless someone steps up and wants to continue updating the ubuntuzilla repository (there's a handy script that'll /almost/ do everything for you automagically), this will mark the conclusion of the project.

I thank you all for your help and support.

-nanotube

Does that mean the project was a failure? Certainly NOT! It provided a great benefit for quite a long time.

Maybe this project could at least begin in 3rd party projects:

http://ubuntuforums.org/forumdisplay.php?f=46

I'm sure it would require moderator approval but it couldn't hurt to find out ;)

Of course the first thing we need is a fairly stable Ubuntu + gnome3 base to work with, and a team of folks to provide input, testing, etc.

I've been iso-testing for about 3 years and, besides the Ubuntuzilla project, I've done quite a bit of testing for the Boot Info Script project:

http://bootinfoscript.sourceforge.net/

I'm only a tester, but I think this is a good idea :D

kansasnoob
April 8th, 2011, 08:10 PM
You'll undoubtedly find it interesting that I'm getting totally slammed for the idea here:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1724486

hrhnick
April 8th, 2011, 11:27 PM
https://launchpad.net/ubuntugnome :-)

kansasnoob
April 8th, 2011, 11:40 PM
https://launchpad.net/ubuntugnome :-)

Is that you? Or is that just a similar project?

I really do love the idea but I'm burning a bit from getting slammed so hard at Natty testing & cussing :lolflag:

Apparently no one there read what I actually posted.

hrhnick
April 8th, 2011, 11:48 PM
Is that you? Or is that just a similar project?

I really do love the idea but I'm burning a bit from getting slammed so hard at Natty testing & cussing :lolflag:

Apparently no one there read what I actually posted.

It was started a few hours before I posted. I'm in touch with the guy and seeing if we can work together :-)

kansasnoob
April 8th, 2011, 11:54 PM
Count me in. I know nothing about packaging or writing code but when it comes to testing I should be of some help ;)

hrhnick
April 8th, 2011, 11:55 PM
Count me in. I know nothing about packaging or writing code but when it comes to testing I should be of some help ;)

Thanks for the positive support :-D

earthpigg
April 8th, 2011, 11:57 PM
Yes, I see the value in such a project and would be willing to help out.

Before lubuntu and linux mint LXDE edition came out, my little project (http://sites.google.com/site/masonux/) using ubuntu + LXDE from the repos helped lots of people out.

sure, it was just apt-get install lxde from the repos and a few other tweaks - but it proved more than some people were willing/able to do for themselves even though desiring of that functionality.

it let one grandmother see her grandkids several hundred miles away on decade-old hardware using a webcam, for example. (that was my favorite 'thank you' e-mail, and made it worth the hours of effort to create, test, document, bla bla.)

attackgecko
April 9th, 2011, 12:25 AM
I'm the guy that started the Ubuntu GNOME Remix project. The goal is to provide full, clean, and working system for both GNOME 2.3 (classic GNOME) and GNOME 3. This could be of significant benefit to Ubuntu in several ways:

Providing GNOME3 packages. There is a ppa from the GNOME team that already does this, but several of their packages are broken
Providing a GNOME classic installation in Ubuntu 11.10 and later, when it will not be included
Working on GNOME-related stuff

As of right now, I'm packaging various things. I should have a semi-working proof of concept release ready either later tonight or tomorrow morning.

Right now, I could use some help with packaging the various GNOME3 parts, and modifying them so they will not interfere with an install of classic GNOME. Head on over to https://launchpad.net/ubuntugnome to look at progress and add yourself to https://launchpad.net/~ubuntugnometeam if you can help with packaging.

d3v1150m471c
April 9th, 2011, 12:48 AM
I used to like gnome2 but since I've seen what gnome3 entails, including unity i switched to blackbox and i'm probably never returning. It looks like canonical and gnome's idea of new and improved is adding a plethora of unnecessary features that bog down your system. Then again, i'm a bit of a minimalist.

gnomeuser
April 9th, 2011, 02:09 AM

How about you not assume your personal bias is aligned with the GNOME project.

Tomboy is an official part of GNOME and the GNOME Foundation sponsored the GNOME+Mono hackfest earlier this year.

Let's not be like the cesspit of hatred and ideological madness that is Fedora and promote anti-freedom in the form of ideologically delusional moves such as advertising such anti-features.

Mono is a part of GNOME, deal with it.

April 9th, 2011, 03:16 AM
how about you not assume your personal bias is aligned with the gnome project.

Tomboy is an official part of gnome and the gnome foundation sponsored the gnome+mono hackfest earlier this year.

Let's not be like the cesspit of hatred and ideological madness that is fedora and promote anti-freedom in the form of ideologically delusional moves such as advertising such anti-features.

Mono is a part of gnome, deal with it.

+1

Johnsie
April 9th, 2011, 06:50 AM
I like the ideas being floated around here, however if Ubuntu decide to stop officially supporting Gnome then I'm just going to stop using Ubuntu and find another distro that is more Gnome friendly. Over the last few years the default gnome theme in Ubuntu has been getting uglier and uglier (in comparison to dapper). Gnome is what made Ubuntu so popular. I think 11.04 will get slated by reviewers when it's officially released.

There are other distros like Suse that allow you to choose your packages before you even download the iso. http://susestudio.com/

I think most Gnome loving Ubuntu veterans are migrating to either Fedora or Arch though.

Ichtyandr
April 9th, 2011, 10:59 AM
I like the ideas being floated around here, however if Ubuntu decide to stop officially supporting Gnome then I'm just going to stop using Ubuntu and find another distro that is more Gnome friendly. Over the last few years the default gnome theme in Ubuntu has been getting uglier and uglier (in comparison to dapper). Gnome is what made Ubuntu so popular. I think 11.04 will get slated by reviewers when it's officially released.

There are other distros like Suse that allow you to choose your packages before you even download the iso. http://susestudio.com/

I think most Gnome loving Ubuntu veterans are migrating to either Fedora or Arch though.

but also there are lots of people used to ubuntu way of doing gnome, like using apt and synaptic or updated debian base, canonical support, ubuntu user community etc

attackgecko
April 9th, 2011, 09:12 PM
The Ubuntu GNOME Remix release 0.0.1 is ready! This includes a mostly full and very UNstable version of GNOME3.

Install Instructions, release notes, etc: http://ugr.teampr0xy.net/install
How you can help the project: http://ugr.teampr0xy.net/participate

ngsupb
April 11th, 2011, 02:52 PM
not interested, there are some other distros for that with a lot of maintainers.

It is going to be just a waste of time.

BrokenKingpin
April 11th, 2011, 03:51 PM
No, just use Mint if that is what you are looking for.

madjr
April 11th, 2011, 04:05 PM
not interested, there are some other distros for that with a lot of maintainers.

but ubuntu has somethings they lack, many more packages and ppas and things on ubuntu are most of the time easier than on other distros, so yes go ubuntu gnome remix!

anyway, for gnome3 remix, please add gnome-tweak and gnome shell extensions and other tools that could make life easier or allow for extra personalization (aka the old ubuntu way!)

http://www.webupd8.org/2011/04/introducing-gnome-tweak-tool-gui-to.html

http://www.webupd8.org/2011/04/gnome-shell-extensions-additional.html

bulldog
April 11th, 2011, 04:14 PM
The Ubuntu GNOME Remix release 0.0.1 is ready! This includes a mostly full and very UNstable version of GNOME3.

Install Instructions, release notes, etc: http://ugr.teampr0xy.net/install
How you can help the project: http://ugr.teampr0xy.net/participate

I wish you much succes with your initiative.
Unfortunately I have just installed 11.04 beta and have updated it with the gnome3 ppa and as we speak,I'm running GS3.
But when you are able to do a stable release I will make the switch without a doubt.

gnomeuser
April 11th, 2011, 04:51 PM

The majority of such a distribution would be directly imported from Ubuntu. They'd only have to alter the GNOME stack and perhaps a separate kernel if they wish to tweak it for desktop use (but even this with systemd, latencyd and control group might even be better long term just to import and share).

It is not as big a task, in most cases you'd have to uncomment Ubuntu technology patches which are not upstreamed and perhaps change a few configuration switches. The packaging part of this is easily shared with Debian who are already doing the work (http://raphaelhertzog.com/2011/04/11/journey-of-a-new-gnome-3-debian-packager/).

Much of the artwork is given from GNOME, bootsplash, shutdown splash and such are not though defined (yet? hopefully) by GNOME so that would have to be created. Getting blessing to use the GNOME trademarks though might need approval.

It is not as big a task to create a full Ubuntu powered GNOME3 experience as it sounds. The bis are all there and I understand that Ubuntu has fine tools for rolling a derivative (I have done such work before but only on Fedora where I used to be a package maintainer but I understand that Ubuntu does this easily as well).

Count me in. I'd need to learn dpkg specifics but learn one packaging standard, learn another, I have ebuild and rpm to haunt and delight my past.

NightwishFan
April 11th, 2011, 05:30 PM
You can check out the status of the Debian Gnome 3 stack here:
http://www.0d.be/debian/debian-gnome-3.0-status.html

Might be useful.

screaminj3sus
April 11th, 2011, 08:00 PM
As long as its not called "Raw Gnome Edition"

bmbaker
April 11th, 2011, 08:10 PM
I really like the idea :-)
i will check it out in a few days!

Artemis3
April 11th, 2011, 08:54 PM
as for whats to gain, it gets rid of useless derivatives of distros based on de changes solely. This often confuses new users to linux who never thought you can change the fundamental aspect of the os's gui.

Just show them a picture with a drop down list asking how they want their desktop to look.

90% of the derivative distros are completely unneeded. They don't add any functionality that cant exist on its original.

Something based off Ubuntu Minimal could very well achieve this, of course a network connection will be needed. But if you have no network, then the classic CD derivatives still apply, unless you plan releasing a blueray image ^^!

Dragonbite
April 12th, 2011, 02:25 PM
As long as its not called "Raw Gnome Edition"

How about call it "Dwarf"? They're about the same size, but one is more "raw" than the other ;)

ZebCarnell
April 20th, 2011, 05:53 AM
GNOME fork? Could be called DWARF

NightwishFan
April 20th, 2011, 06:02 AM
GNOME fork? Could be called DWARF
Hehehe.

pony-tail
April 20th, 2011, 08:05 AM

For me it is Unity that is the waste of time !
Gnome 3 does the same job . The development cost of unity could have been used in other places that actually needed the time and work .
I prefer Gnome panels anyway .

user1397
April 27th, 2011, 01:24 PM
so is this actually gonna take off? any news?

NormanFLinux
April 27th, 2011, 01:37 PM
I vote for GNOME 3... built down to every day computing requirements - GNOME's requirements just suck!

3Miro
April 27th, 2011, 02:00 PM
What's the point. 11.04 is just Gnome2 with Unity, you can easily revert to classic Gnome2. 11.10 will come with Gnome3 + Unity and at the most you will have to get Gnome-shell from the repos (it may even be installed by default).

Unity is Gnome!

NormanFLinux
April 27th, 2011, 03:02 PM
Wrong. If you don't want to wait til October, Linux Mint "Katya" will boot with GNOME 3. Not with the GNOME Shell though.

user1397
April 27th, 2011, 03:10 PM
What's the point. 11.04 is just Gnome2 with Unity, you can easily revert to classic Gnome2. 11.10 will come with Gnome3 + Unity and at the most you will have to get Gnome-shell from the repos (it may even be installed by default).

Unity is Gnome!
what about people who want pure gnome3 with an ubuntu base now?

NormanFLinux
April 27th, 2011, 03:25 PM
LikeI said, wait til Linux Mint 11 or "Katya" is released. It will be built on GNOME 3 desktop environment minus the Shell and it will be compatible with Ubuntu. Expect it out sometime in May or June.

3Miro
April 27th, 2011, 03:48 PM
what about people who want pure gnome3 with an ubuntu base now?

Does it make sense to put an effort in another distribution to use for only 6 months? It is fine if you want to do that (this is freedom), but just don't see the point. It would be much easier to get a few good HowTos to tell people how to add ppa and install Gnome 3 on their current 11.04 (there are some already, I just don't know how good they are).

You can also temporarily switch to a different distribution, although I don't think there are many with stable Gnome 3 yet (Fedora is Beta, Mint isn't there yet, Arch is in testing ... ) In a month or so, there should be more of course.

dh04000
April 27th, 2011, 04:34 PM
Why can't users just install gnome 3, or gnome 2 in the repo?

Can someone explain this to me?

NormanFLinux
April 27th, 2011, 04:43 PM
Ubuntu 2.32, the last stable version will be the default desktop for those systems that can't run Unity. Unity will be the shell that runs on top of Classic GNOME on computers that meet the stated requirements.

GNOME 3 will be the base on other distros, beginning with Linux Mint, in May or June.

attackgecko
May 7th, 2011, 08:59 PM
Thanks for the input everyone. The 0.1.0 release of UGR, coming tomorrow, includes gnome-tweak tool and gnome-session fallback. For the brave, these features are in our dev channel now (http://ugr.teampr0xy.net/dev-preview-channel). We're working on packaging shell extensions and themeselector for our 1.0 in a few weeks.

For everyone who thinks this is a massive waste of time because it might be obsolete in six months, see this (https://answers.launchpad.net/ugr-cantarell/+faq/1588).

Why can't users just install gnome 3, or gnome 2 in the repo?
Can someone explain this to me?
GNOME 3 is not currently in the Ubuntu repos. It needs to be installed from the GNOME 3 team's PPA. GNOME 2 is what currently powers Ubuntu, and is in the repos.

For Oneric (11.10), Ubuntu will use GNOME 3 to power everything. Mark Shuttleworth has said Ubuntu will only have a unity session option. The GNOME 3 shell and a classic GNOME interface will not be available.

UGR provides things that make the current GNOME 3 experience better. We ship a metapackage that automatically installs things like gnome-tweak-tool and gnome-session-fallback, and everything else needed from the GNOME 3 team. Additionally, we package other parts like the Cantarell font (default in GNOME 3, but not available in Ubuntu anywhere else), and are working on shell extensions and themeselector.

Paqman
May 7th, 2011, 10:54 PM
So this would be Ubuntu minus all the Ubuntu-specific bits. So what would be the difference between that and Debian? Would you be leaving in Jockey? Ubuntu One? What's the actual vision here exactly?

You're either reinventing the wheel, or you're committing to take on a lot of work maintaining patches on a lot of packages, surely?

attackgecko
May 8th, 2011, 06:23 AM
We just released UGR 0.1.0 "Constellation": http://ugr.teampr0xy.net/news/ugr010constellationisout

So this would be Ubuntu minus all the Ubuntu-specific bits. So what would be the difference between that and Debian? Would you be leaving in Jockey? Ubuntu One? What's the actual vision here exactly?

You're either reinventing the wheel, or you're committing to take on a lot of work maintaining patches on a lot of packages, surely?

Actually, just about everything in UGR comes directly from Ubuntu, and it is Ubuntu at its core. It includes everything from Ubuntu except unity and a few other little things. GNOME 3 comes mostly from the GNOME 3 team, with a few small bits contributed by us. Our team has about 7 things we actually build and maintain ourselves.

jbicha
May 8th, 2011, 10:02 AM
NormanFLinux, Mint 11 "Katya" will be using Gnome 2.32, not Gnome 3. So Gnome Panel (only bottom panel by default & Mint Menu) with Compiz.

http://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=1746