PDA

View Full Version : Ubuntu 11.04: is this the end of the road?

GuiGuy
April 8th, 2011, 02:10 AM
Is this the end of the road as far as radical design changes for Ubuntu go? Or is there more hidden up the sleeve of the Canonical founder, changes that will make it look more and more like a Dinky Toy than a serious operating system?

http://www.itwire.com/opinion-and-analysis/open-sauce/46398-ubuntu-1104-is-this-the-end-of-the-road

I'm still digesting the article....

Paqman
April 8th, 2011, 02:24 AM
The author doesn't seem particularly incisive or well-informed. For example, he was happy to pen a very luke warm review of Gnome 3 without even trying it himself. That's just a bit lazy, like a lot of the opinions he's trotting out. Lightweight and uninspired stuff.

mamamia88
April 8th, 2011, 03:31 AM
part of the reason i just replaced ubuntu with mint debian

amauk
April 8th, 2011, 03:35 AM
I rather like Unity, and it's far from a "Dinky Toy"

Now that most of the Compiz crashers are fixed, I find I work a lot faster than I did with the Gnome 2.x panels

Anyway,
Recurring in 3..2..1..

WinterMadness
April 8th, 2011, 03:45 AM
I rather like Unity, and it's far from a "Dinky Toy"

Now that most of the Compiz crashers are fixed, I find I work a lot faster than I did with the Gnome 2.x panels

Anyway,
Recurring in 3..2..1..
thats because gnome 2's design was fundamentally flawed given the competition.

Khakilang
April 8th, 2011, 03:46 AM
Nah! I don't think so. After all you can just tweak it to use Gnome 3 or just Gnome classic or KDE or XFCE or OpenBox or LXDE or ......

23dornot23d
April 8th, 2011, 03:54 AM
UNITY has got to be ready for the majority of users not just a few otherwise it could maybe become a publicity disaster ......

I am all for change - but in this instance choice may be is a way to go at Boot up .....

Its not a big problem as this is the way LINUX has always developed - so many branches - exploring all sorts of new ideas - which is good ...... the strongest ones will survive .

Over time UNITY will take over as the big icons and the touch screen computers and mobile devices will work better with this kind of layout ......

But at the moment to release it ..... just to please the few would have been a killer move in my mind - I keep reading what the people in the testing development area are saying and although there are a few there that appear to like it (there are a lot more - and respected users who are experiencing problems not only with crashing and drivers not working - but using the interface itself ) these people are used to change and like breaking their systems and fixing them, but the majority may be less than happy if the CLASSIC should become too difficult to set up afterwards ..... and this could lead to people moving away from
ubuntu .....

[B]They might be having a re-think about UNITY and use CLASSIC LINK (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1724085)

UPDATE - Quite like the latest version downloaded a few minutes ago and installed it -

I was a little concerned at the amount of time it took updating the GRUB ,,,,, is it doing a backup here ?

said I did not have the right hardware to run UNITY and
then took me into a sort of CLASSIC view .....

AFTER I updated the graphics driver for NVIDIA .... it took me into UNITY ..... its not too bad
in fact very fast indeed ...... works ok Dual Monitor

Shame it seems to find broken package problems in Synaptic ..... when apt-get and aptitude have none.
GIMP menus are now in the very top bar .. Global Menus .... ( KDE using 11.04 keeps them in application though .... )
Shame Unity wont run from KDM ..... as a menu option ..... but Natty Classic will ....
Shame about the top bar though ..... I cannot get to resize it which is something I always do in classic ......

LINK TO SCREENSHOT (http://img194.imageshack.us/img194/3399/screenshot2sk.png)

Update ....
( From what I have tried in the last hour or so - in the latest 64 bit Natty - Classic will run in a basic mode .....
..... with the docks too ...... KDE runs (http://img19.imageshack.us/img19/7981/screenshot2kt.png) - sudo apt-get install kde-full very nice too )

Hopefully things will get sorted with UNITY ....

msrinath80
April 8th, 2011, 03:56 AM
thats because gnome 2's design was fundamentally flawed given the competition.

Fundamentally flawed since when? Get your facts straight. Nearly all OS'es had the concept of a panel with a tasklist since Win95. And it worked just fine. It still does.

Now, I'm all for innovation and novelty. But there's a place and a time. The place is right. Ubuntu is the place to bring out this new desktop paradigm. But the time isn't quite favorable. Both Unity and Gnome Shell need at least another year of development and polish before they can be brought in as default options.

castrojo
April 8th, 2011, 04:06 AM
I'm still digesting the article....

You should check out Sam Varghese's other articles, you're in for a treat!

Rasa1111
April 8th, 2011, 04:15 AM
Thanks for the link.
I share his feelings.

sadly.

GuiGuy
April 8th, 2011, 04:17 AM
You should check out Sam Varghese's other articles, you're in for a treat!

I've caught some of his stuff off and on and I do enjoy his blog when he waffles on about cricket.

But sorry, when you say "you're in for a treat", where was your tongue? ;)

Cheers from DownUnder.

ikt
April 8th, 2011, 07:50 AM
Ubuntu is the place to bring out this new desktop paradigm. But the time isn't quite favorable. Both Unity and Gnome Shell need at least another year of development and polish before they can be brought in as default options.

I agree but I believe that they are trying to do something similar in that the idea was to throw all the unstable stuff into the regular releases and hopefully by the next LTS have everything sorted out.

Legendary_Bibo
April 8th, 2011, 08:44 AM
So Gimp is incompatible with global menus? Yay! I might actually like Unity. I like the global menus for certain applications, Gimp is not one of them. I wonder if they'll look through each application and judge whether or not it should have a global menu. It works for some, but not all.

finite9
April 8th, 2011, 08:57 AM
I get the feeling that Canonical are taking a major risk here, and really trying to push their own vision due to some kind of dispute with the Gnome team. This is just my impression however. Gnome is all set to release Gnome3, but suddenly, seemingly out of nowhere, Canonical decided to go their own way and release yet another desktop manager.

KDE and Gnome have been going for very many years to get to where they are today, but Canonical comes out of nowhere (is this what Rapid development is all about?) with a new desktop?

Why? I mean, it takes a _lot_ of effort to make a desktop environment. It shows that they still have a lot of bugs to iron out.

Why didn't they just go with Gnome2 as default with Gnome3 and Unity as options? Well, because they probably realised that if they put Unity as an option whilst it's still in teething stages, then it will get very little market share, because most people will continue to use Gnome and see Gnome3 as a logical upgrade path.

Canonical seems to have heavily copied from the Gnome3 style interface, and made their own tweaks. It seems like they are making a cheap copy of Gnome3 because they don't like the direction in which Gnome is going.

And Hey, that's fine, and the competition will--in the long run-- be beneficial for us users, but it is a very risky step Canonical is taking by forcing a brand new Desktop on users at such an early point in it's life.

I personally feel that Unity could be a real headache for me, and that I stand a very good chance of running into a lot of issues with it.

I've seen the negative Gnome reviews--Ars Technica had one of the more balanced ones I've seen--however, I will in all liklihood wait for the Gnome3 PPA to stabilise before upgrading from Maverick, and choose Gnome3 as my default desktop.

I am looking forward to the Gnome3 release, and I know it has had a very long gestation period, and the bugs are likely to be very few compared to KDE4 or Unity.

The only thing that dampens my spirit, is that I wish I could easily switch between Gnome3 & Unity without stuff breaking, because then I could really give Unity the chance it deserves and do real comparisons.

As it stands, many tech savvies will simply go with the Gnome3 PPA which will break Unity, and they may not even bother trying out Unity, which would be a shame (for users in general).

samstreet101
April 8th, 2011, 08:57 AM
Just read something on the wikipedia page for Ubuntu releases that quotes Shuttleworth as saying that 11.10 (Oeneric Ocelot) won't come with gnome at all, not even as a fallback session. I hope this means we can at least install it from the repositories

Rasa1111
April 8th, 2011, 09:07 AM
So Gimp is incompatible with global menus? Yay! I might actually like Unity. I like the global menus for certain applications, Gimp is not one of them. I wonder if they'll look through each application and judge whether or not it should have a global menu. It works for some, but not all.

I was playing around on a natty USB drive last night,
and installed GIMP..
and it had the global menu.

:/ lol

I am doing all I can to try to like it/embrace it..
not doing great though. lol

beast2k
April 8th, 2011, 09:16 AM
"Dinky"? I don't think I'd say that but his general idea seems correct, I don't pretend to know what Shuttleworth is thinking or where he's heading with Ubuntu but it seems this whole "unity" idea has had more of a negative effect on Ubuntu than a positive one. Personally I think he should have stayed with the traditional Gnome interface moved to Gnome 3 when it's ready and gone that route, unity is way to big a change way to quickly, Unity should have started out as an option not "instead of" most users just want something that works. Ubuntu in my opinion came closer to a windows replacement than any other since Mandrake back in the day, it will be a long wait now before we see this level of success again. Nothing lasts forever.

giddyup306
April 8th, 2011, 09:33 AM
I tried 11.04 only a couple days after the Beta came out. I loaded it once, then deleted it immediately. Reminds me of the notebook remix. Far too much of a waste of space on the desktop. I now run Mint Julia as a third boot. Much easier on the eyes.

thenickrulz
April 8th, 2011, 09:38 AM
I hope not UBuntu is great!!!

beast2k
April 8th, 2011, 09:54 AM
As soon as they started to get involved in the "netbook remix" they lost focus on the desktop. They were so close thats what bugs me, they were well on their way to taking on the Microsoft monster. Netbooks ??? Whats next a Ubuntu cellphone edition ? I think next up for me me be Mint Debian edition once the bugs are all out.

slackthumbz
April 8th, 2011, 09:58 AM
Having read the article I'd say the author doesn't have a clue what he's talking about. All I saw there was a whole load jerky-knee and "Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaah it's different!, me no liek different", really? Cry me a %*&$ing river, it's not like you can't change the desktop environment in the blink of any eye anyway. I've been running the 11.04 beta since it came out and every day it gets a little better. I actually like Unity now and lo and behold all it takes is to be willing to think a little differently. Big whoop, it's not difficult and although it could help new users out a little more, it's very easy to get used to.

And
"I haven't tried it but reviews of GNOME 3 do not really inspire a great deal of confidence."...

For real? Well comments like that don't exactly inspire confidence in my regard for you as being much of a journalist.

lucazade
April 8th, 2011, 10:04 AM
Having read the article I'd say the author doesn't have a clue what he's talking about. All I saw there was a whole load jerky-knee and "Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaah it's different!, me no liek different", really? Cry me a %*&$ing river, it's not like you can't change the desktop environment in the blink of any eye anyway. I've been running the 11.04 beta since it came out and every day it gets a little better. I actually like Unity now and lo and behold all it takes is to be willing to think a little differently. Big whoop, it's not difficult and although it could help new users out a little more, it's very easy to get used to.

And ...

For real? Well comments like that don't exactly inspire confidence in my regard for you as being much of a journalist.

Absolutely agree with you!
Also the author of this review doesn't have a clue what he's talking about:
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2011/04/01/ubuntu1004_beta_review/

slackthumbz
April 8th, 2011, 10:11 AM
Absolutely agree with you!
Also the author of this review doesn't have a clue what he's talking about:
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2011/04/01/ubuntu1004_beta_review/

The problem with all these reviews is that they're totally premature. Yes, I'd love to have more configuration options in Unity, I'm sure many of us would but let's be fair and get the core functionality nailed down and solid first. Then we can worry about where the launcher panel goes and adding a million and one different types of autohide animations.

11.04 was always going to be a risky and difficult release for Canonical because it's so different to previous ones but give it time and I think we'll see something awesome emerge from the turmoil. I mean, it's not even release day yet for goodness sake.

lucazade
April 8th, 2011, 10:19 AM
The problem with all these reviews is that they're totally premature. Yes, I'd love to have more configuration options in Unity, I'm sure many of us would but let's be fair and get the core functionality nailed down and solid first. Then we can worry about where the launcher panel goes and adding a million and one different types of autohide animations.

11.04 was always going to be a risky and difficult release for Canonical because it's so different to previous ones but give it time and I think we'll see something awesome emerge from the turmoil. I mean, it's not even release day yet for goodness sake.

Without solid core functionalities, options and configurations cannot be implemented.. unfortunately this seems difficult to understand for the end-user.
"me no liek different" :D
Like you said give it time, 6 months for a shell are really few but with these technologies we could expect a great unity in a near future.

ukripper
April 8th, 2011, 12:36 PM
This reminds of a blog written by Rory in 2009 who never gave ubuntu a fair chance http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/technology/2009/10/24_hours_with_ubuntu.html?ssorl=1256316835&ssols=13&ssoc=register

drascus
April 8th, 2011, 12:50 PM
The funny thing is there really is no controversy here. If you don't like unity install Gnome if you don't like Gnome insall XFCE, or LXDE etc... If really it just comes down to the desktop environment you have a plethora of options. Just because the main distro is using Unity it doesn't mean you have to. pretty much everyone understands this. For some reason this author totally misses that the point of Ubuntu and Free operating systems in general is the choice that they give you and the openness.

drascus
April 8th, 2011, 12:53 PM

Exactly. when you think about it we are doing the work that went into Gnome 3 in nearly half the time with unity. So you can't expect it to be perfect this early in development.

slackthumbz
April 8th, 2011, 01:33 PM
Exactly. when you think about it we are doing the work that went into Gnome 3 in nearly half the time with unity. So you can't expect it to be perfect this early in development.

I remember using Gnome 1, we've come a long way since then ;)

Lisimelis
April 8th, 2011, 01:36 PM

And ...

I really agree with this. And keep in mind that the whole project of Ubuntu was and is a really bold move and i would not expect any less from this guys than a swift in the direction that suits their plans the most. I for one am really getting used to Unity and cant wait for the proper release for a clean installation on all my machines...Cheers from Greece!

gnomeuser
April 8th, 2011, 02:12 PM
Sam Varghese is a "journalist" famed for his deep dishonesty, always being driven by his own personal agenda. Damned what the truth, evidence or reality might say to contradict him.

I honestly don't know why itwire continues to keep him on staff. It reflects poorly on their journalistic standards that he is allowed to use their site for his personal crusade.

lucazade
April 8th, 2011, 02:44 PM
Sam Varghese is a "journalist" famed for his deep dishonesty, always being driven by his own personal agenda. Damned what the truth, evidence or reality might say to contradict him.

I honestly don't know why itwire continues to keep him on staff. It reflects poorly on their journalistic standards that he is allowed to use their site for his personal crusade.

:lolflag:

3Miro
April 8th, 2011, 03:43 PM
I have been using Unity for some time now, I think I can see what Canonical is doing ... they are forking Gnome 2. I wish they would come out and say it.

Unity is Gnome 2 underneath, but they replaced Gnome-panel, which was the "buggiest" thing in Gnome anyway. They have their own applet for session and sound and they had that for some time. With Unity 2D, they will get rid of the need for fallback Metacity. Then Unity will be its own DE.

samalex
April 8th, 2011, 07:43 PM
If I move to 11.04 (on 10.04 now) I'll probably go with XFCE so will the whole Unity debacle affect me then?

rudihawk
April 8th, 2011, 07:59 PM
If I move to 11.04 (on 10.04 now) I'll probably go with XFCE so will the whole Unity debacle affect me then?

Nope, XFCE is completely seperate from GNOME/Unity etc.

Nice thing is XFCE 4.8 will appear in 11.04 :) so that is good news.

Merk42
April 8th, 2011, 08:00 PM
Just read something on the wikipedia page for Ubuntu releases that quotes Shuttleworth as saying that 11.10 (Oeneric Ocelot) won't come with gnome at all, not even as a fallback session. I hope this means we can at least install it from the repositoriesLet's clear this up, I see this a lot with the confusion of different terminologies and what not.
Unity IS GNOME
The main differences are Unity (currently built on GNOME 2.X), the Panels (also built on GNOME 2.X) and GNOME Shell (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1603874) (built on GNOME 3)

The goal for 11.10 is to move to GNOME 3 (as all distros should do since GNOME 2 will eventually be discontinued by GNOME).
When this happens, there won't be a Panel fallback because it doesn't exist in GNOME 3 (apparently it does but isn't as fully featured or something.).
Once 11.10 is running GNOME 3, the choices will be Unity (default) or GNOME Shell (may have to install separate package).
As far as installing the Panels and GNOME 3, again I'm not sure how they work. If how they do work isn't good enough for you, then blame GNOME, not Canonical. It wouldn't be any different if you switched to some other distro that has GNOME 3.

3Miro
April 8th, 2011, 08:25 PM
Let's clear this up, I see this a lot with the confusion of different terminologies and what not.
Unity IS GNOME
The main differences are Unity (currently built on GNOME 2.X), the Panels (also built on GNOME 2.X) and GNOME Shell (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1603874) (built on GNOME 3)

The goal for 11.10 is to move to GNOME 3 (as all distros should do since GNOME 2 will eventually be discontinued by GNOME).
When this happens, there won't be a Panel fallback because it doesn't exist in GNOME 3 (apparently it does but isn't as fully featured or something.).
Once 11.10 is running GNOME 3, the choices will be Unity (default) or GNOME Shell (may have to install separate package).
As far as installing the Panels and GNOME 3, again I'm not sure how they work. If how they do work isn't good enough for you, then blame GNOME, not Canonical. It wouldn't be any different if you switched to some other distro that has GNOME 3.

I though that Unity will sit on top of Gnome 3 eventually, but the more I see of it, the more it seems like Canonical is doing their own DE. Have you seen any statements from Canonical saying that Gnome 3 would be the default in 11.10.

If Unity becomes its own DE, then it will be a fork of Gnome 2.

I think Gnome 3 will come with the panel for some time, but they have discontinued support for it and it will drop eventually.

lucazade
April 8th, 2011, 08:29 PM
Have you seen any statements from Canonical saying that Gnome 3 would be the default in 11.10..

Mark Shuttleworth: "Congratulations to everyone who has worked so hard to make Gnome 3.0 a reality. It’s a great accomplishment, excellent work by many people, and worthy of celebration. I know the PPA is popular and I’m sure it will be a hit in 11.10. Well done all!"

3Miro
April 8th, 2011, 08:32 PM
Mark Shuttleworth: "Congratulations to everyone who has worked so hard to make Gnome 3.0 a reality. It’s a great accomplishment, excellent work by many people, and worthy of celebration. I know the PPA is popular and I’m sure it will be a hit in 11.10. Well done all!"

Assuming this was recent enough, it seems they will be sticking with Gnome after all.

Thanks!

rudihawk
April 8th, 2011, 08:54 PM
Assuming this was recent enough, it seems they will be sticking with Gnome after all.

Thanks!

Which will be pretty cool.

Fedora using Gnome 3 looks pretty slick!

Merk42
April 8th, 2011, 09:08 PM

Thanks!
They never stopped using GNOME...

11.10 by default should have GNOME 3 but NOT GNOME Shell (though that should easily be installed, much like how some people change their messenger from Empathy to Pidgin)

Random_Dude
April 8th, 2011, 09:12 PM
With all this Unity drama, Canonical should have chosen a dog to be Ubuntu's 11.04 mascot.

http://knowyourmeme.com/i/000/052/812/original/Deal_with_it_dog_gif.gif?1275684729

Derek Karpinski
April 8th, 2011, 09:41 PM
:lolflag:

Linye
April 8th, 2011, 09:48 PM
Ftw!

Rasa1111
April 9th, 2011, 08:14 PM
With all this Unity drama, Canonical should have chosen a dog to be Ubuntu's 11.04 mascot.

http://knowyourmeme.com/i/000/052/812/original/Deal_with_it_dog_gif.gif?1275684729

no way..
dogs are loyal to those who love them.

Maybe a porcupine would have been better.
"don't like it? sit on it!"

el_koraco
April 9th, 2011, 08:32 PM
Omg they added a dock!!!!

Rasa1111
April 9th, 2011, 08:38 PM
Omg they added a dock!!!!

No,
Docks work.
and you can customize them.

Never seen a "dock" that makes you keep the hideous "faenza style" icons either.

AWN, is a dock
Docky, is a dock
Cairo dock, is a dock

Unity, is pathetic.

el_koraco
April 9th, 2011, 08:38 PM
omg they added an ugly dock!!!

TeoBigusGeekus
April 9th, 2011, 08:48 PM
Maybe a porcupine would have been better.
"don't like it? sit on it!"
...or a *****...

From one of Varghese comments for the article:

I doubt very much if the Ubuntu crowd is doing a greal deal more than ordinary tasks like browsing, email, social media, and music - plus porn,
of course.
I think he got us guys...

rudihawk
April 9th, 2011, 08:49 PM
Unity, is pathetic.

Don't use it then ):P

rg4w
April 9th, 2011, 08:50 PM
No,
Docks work.
I used to wonder why there was a chat menu that I couldn't customize to use the chat software of my choice, or an email icon I couldn't customize to use Thunderbird.

Now we have a dock we can't customize.

:(

Rasa1111
April 9th, 2011, 08:58 PM
Don't use it then ):P

perfect example of what's wrong with this 'community'.

"don't like it, move on!"

:rolleyes:

Whatever.

Rasa1111
April 9th, 2011, 09:00 PM
I used to wonder why there was a chat menu that I couldn't customize to use the chat software of my choice, or an email icon I couldn't customize to use Thunderbird.

yeah, pretty sweet direction they're headed eh?

Seriously..
I love Ubuntu soo much, I can't believe I feel all this animosity and disappointment towards everything Ubuntu right now.

But I do,
and I can't help it.

Huge disappointment.
*thumbs down*

Artemis3
April 9th, 2011, 09:31 PM
Well, 11.04 won't use Unity by default...
http://www.webupd8.org/2011/04/ubuntu-1104-switching-back-to-classic.html

Which gives me a few more months to smoothly transition to Xubuntu...

I'm thinking this whole gnome shell / unity situation has been very good to help XFCE adoption, and version 4.8 is looking great! Of course, some others will go KDE...

As for the article, i say, for me, 11.10 (not 11.04) will be the end of the road. You know, when Ubuntu ships Gnome 3 by default and the "Classic" option is no more, just Unity, or Shell.

Linux Mint is pointless because, like Debian, it's going for Gnome 3 (shell) as well; unless you wait for the always delayed XFCE edition.

But i have no problem, as i have found both Xubuntu and even Debian with the XFCE desktop ARE nice.

So...:
http://www.giannifavilli.it/blog/wp-content/uploads/2011/02/XFce_logo.png (http://www.xfce.org) http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-BpDSbZ5pUQE/TZTJki30wjI/AAAAAAAADZ0/HxI8tc6qrxQ/s400/ubuntu1104beta1_0003.jpg (http://www.xubuntu.org)

Back to normal.

wolfen69
April 9th, 2011, 09:42 PM

Whatever.

What would you rather they say? It's the truth. No one is forcing you to use it. I hear nothing but complaints from you, so....... is it any better to listen to you complain incessantly?

Btw, gnome 3 rocks.

wolfen69
April 9th, 2011, 09:45 PM
yeah, pretty sweet direction they're headed eh?

Seriously..
I love Ubuntu soo much, I can't believe I feel all this animosity and disappointment towards everything Ubuntu right now.

But I do,
and I can't help it.

Huge disappointment.
*thumbs down*
Life is too short to have animosity towards an OS. Seriously, if an OS upsets you that much, what would happen if a real tragedy in your life happened?

dwhite
April 9th, 2011, 09:46 PM
changes that will make it look more and more like a Dinky Toy than a serious operating system? just for the record i like Dinky Toys, they have a certain je ne sais quoi that i wouldn't mind in an operationg system ;)

wolfen69
April 9th, 2011, 09:48 PM
Btw, I'm not crazy about Unity, but I have better things to do with my time than bash everything I don't like.

rudihawk
April 9th, 2011, 09:53 PM

Whatever.

No one is forcing you to use Unity, if you want old Gnome, change the setting just before you login.

Whatever.

NightwishFan
Btw, I'm not crazy about Unity, but I have better things to do with my time than bash everything I don't like.

Agreed.

Well, 11.04 won't use Unity by default...
After all this work I am willing to bet it will be enabled by default.

barthus
Ubuntu 11.04: is this the end of the road? (http://www.itwire.com/opinion-and-analysis/open-sauce/46398-ubuntu-1104-is-this-the-end-of-the-road) (Because of the Unity wm).

No, I don't think so!

It is just the Window manager that changes. Linux underneath is NOT CHANGING! Furthermore: because there is still compiz things are put straight to become a huge success! Believe me ...

Rasa1111
April 9th, 2011, 10:08 PM
What would you rather they say? It's the truth. No one is forcing you to use it. I hear nothing but complaints from you, so....... is it any better to listen to you complain incessantly?

Btw, gnome 3 rocks.

No you don't.
I complain only about unity.

Ive never complained about anything in regards to Ubuntu..
Until unity.

what would happen if a real tragedy in your life happened?

lol, You havent a clue what kind of tragedies Ive been through.

Stop pretending to be ' the man'
you're not. No matter what you tell yourself.

Might as well save your time and not respond to me again,
as it will go ignored.

I am not alone in these feelings.. (look around)
So , as Im sure you want to tell me.. "get over it"

Do you really need to respond to every post I make that you don't like or agree with?

No, You don't. :rolleyes:

and GNOME3 may very well "rock".
But I havent played with it yet..
So cannot share my *opinions* on it.

I'm done with the likes of you.
Go bother someone else .

Peace.

wolfen69
April 9th, 2011, 10:48 PM

No you don't.
I complain only about unity.

Ive never complained about anything in regards to Ubuntu..
Until unity.

lol, You havent a clue what kind of tragedies Ive been through.

Stop pretending to be ' the man'
you're not. No matter what you tell yourself.

Might as well save your time and not respond to me again,
as it will go ignored.

I am not alone in these feelings.. (look around)
So , as Im sure you want to tell me.. "get over it"

Do you really need to respond to every post I make that you don't like or agree with?

No, You don't. :rolleyes:

and GNOME3 may very well "rock".
But I havent played with it yet..
So cannot share my *opinions* on it.

I'm done with the likes of you.
Go bother someone else .

Peace.
Very mature response. :rolleyes: Good bye and good luck to you.

Johnsie
April 9th, 2011, 11:27 PM
I agree with everything in the article. Unity is a mess. Improving gnome2 should've been the priority. Dapper was beautiful, but recent versions of the purple Ubuntu have been uggggggggly. Let's go back to the brown and gnome2, because Ubuntu is better that way. Change for the sake of change is not a good thing. There are other distros who are more gnome focused and I think alot of people will be moving over to those if the unity thing makes it past 11.04. Those of us who don't like unity by default need to make our voices heard on launch day.

Little Bones
April 10th, 2011, 12:43 AM
Let's all bare in mind that this is all just being geared up for the next LTS. Where Unity sits when 12.04 comes out is what I really care about.

Cam!
April 10th, 2011, 12:53 AM
Personally, I think that Unity isn't going to last. Sure, it's more convenient, and better-looking than Gnome 2, but the negative reception is seriously outweighing the acclaim.

By 12.04, Ubuntu will switch to Gnome 3.

TeoBigusGeekus
April 10th, 2011, 01:02 AM
Personally, I think that Unity isn't going to last. Sure, it's more convenient, and better-looking than Gnome 2, but the negative reception is seriously outweighing the acclaim.

By 12.04, Ubuntu will switch to Gnome 3.

By 12.04, all Ubuntu users will have switched to other distros :lolflag:

Tigersmind
April 10th, 2011, 02:16 AM
I am going to stick with Ubuntu 10.04 until 2013. It works really well on my notebook and is stable as a rock.

In 2013 I will compare Ubuntu and Debian, winner take all :D

NCLI
April 10th, 2011, 02:57 AM
I was playing around on a natty USB drive last night,
and installed GIMP..
and it had the global menu.

:/ lol

I am doing all I can to try to like it/embrace it..
not doing great though. lol
There is a bug report about that, I do believe it is their intention to disable the global menu for GIMP.

I tried 11.04 only a couple days after the Beta came out. I loaded it once, then deleted it immediately. Reminds me of the notebook remix. Far too much of a waste of space on the desktop. I now run Mint Julia as a third boot. Much easier on the eyes.
You must have deleted it before even opening a windows, since you would then notice that autohide is on by default, making the dock take up no space at all.

As soon as they started to get involved in the "netbook remix" they lost focus on the desktop. They were so close thats what bugs me, they were well on their way to taking on the Microsoft monster. Netbooks ??? Whats next a Ubuntu cellphone edition ? I think next up for me me be Mint Debian edition once the bugs are all out.
This works very well on my dual 24" 1080p monitors, why do you think this is only suited for netbooks?

No,
Docks work.
You can customise Unity too. For now, you have to install CCSM to do it though.

Never seen a "dock" that makes you keep the hideous "faenza style" icons either.
The Unity icons adhere to your icon theme.

AWN, is a dock
Docky, is a dock
Cairo dock, is a dock

Unity, is pathetic.
You do realise that many of the people who worked on the docks you mention, including the creator of docky, are the ones building Unity, right?

Of course you can!

I agree with everything in the article. Unity is a mess. Improving gnome2 should've been the priority. Dapper was beautiful, but recent versions of the purple Ubuntu have been uggggggggly. Let's go back to the brown and gnome2, because Ubuntu is better that way. Change for the sake of change is not a good thing. There are other distros who are more gnome focused and I think alot of people will be moving over to those if the unity thing makes it past 11.04. Those of us who don't like unity by default need to make our voices heard on launch day.
Unfortunately for you, I'm afraid you're in the minority.

Fortunately for you, Ubuntu is still completely themeable.

Johnsie
April 10th, 2011, 11:49 AM
Unfortunately for you, I'm afraid you're in the minority.

No, I'm not in the minority. There have been numerous polls right on this form suggesting that it's the unity fans who are in the minority.

Ubuntu is still completely themeable.

Maybe for now, but all the focus is going into the UI that at least half the users wont even be using. There are other distros who are willing to put more focus on their Gnome implementation.

Elfy
April 10th, 2011, 12:12 PM

Of course you can!

How can I put it on the bottom of the screen and make it as thin as possible? Using the elementary theme's I was able to reduce the thickness of the panel to less than 20px.

That's not a whine - but a serious request for information.

godhika
April 10th, 2011, 12:19 PM
How can I put it on the bottom of the screen and make it as thin as possible? Using the elementary theme's I was able to reduce the thickness of the panel to less than 20px.

To put it on the bottom: Not possible (yet - maybe in Oneiric). To make it thinner/ wider, change the backlight and the autohide behaviour: install compiz-config-settings-manager and then type about:config in the alt+f2 run dialog of unity (which is btw really superior to the one implemented in gnome-panel ;) )

Elfy
April 10th, 2011, 01:44 PM
To put it on the bottom: Not possible (yet - maybe in Oneiric). To make it thinner/ wider, change the backlight and the autohide behaviour: install compiz-config-settings-manager and then type about:config in the alt+f2 run dialog of unity (which is btw really superior to the one implemented in gnome-panel ;) )

Almost then :)

Thanks godhika

NCLI
April 10th, 2011, 03:36 PM

You can't move it yet, but you can use CCSM to make it thinner. IIRC, making the dock movable in a good way is targeted for Ocelot.

EDIT: Oops, didn't see there was another page xD

Elfy
April 10th, 2011, 03:45 PM
You can't move it yet, but you can use CCSM to make it thinner. IIRC, making the dock movable in a good way is targeted for Ocelot.

EDIT: Oops, didn't see there was another page xD

Might come back and have another look at ubuntu then in 6months/year or so. Thanks NCLI.

Lightstar
April 10th, 2011, 05:46 PM
I
Don't
Care

:D

sffvba[e0rt
April 10th, 2011, 06:30 PM
I
Don't
Care

:D

This

HermanAB
April 10th, 2011, 06:41 PM
Linux is Linux is Linux...

A differently coloured shiny UI may be a big issue for a newcomer, but for anyone that used Linux for 6 months or more, it should not matter anymore.

Nightstrike2009
April 10th, 2011, 06:47 PM
By HermanAB: Linux is Linux is Linux...

A differently coloured shiny UI may be a big issue for a newcomer, but for anyone that used Linux for 6 months or more, it should not matter anymore.

I couldn't agree more my friend I've had enough of Pro/Anti-Unity Arguement and intend to use Ubuntu 11.04 with Gnome 3 has its UI instead (I also admit Unity has progressed a lot but is still not to my personal liking, so meh!)

Its just Gnome vs KDE all over again in my opinion, after my initial uproar against Unity and distro hopping to other linux variants I've deceided that its the fact we are all Linux users thats important not our personal choices on what GUI we use has that is a personal choice that has linux users we are all free to make. B-)

PS: If you don't like Canonical's idea of what Ubuntu should be, just change the parts you dont want.

PPS: To add gnome 3 to Ubuntu 11.04 Beta 1: http://askubuntu.com/questions/22946/how-do-i-install-the-latest-version-of-gnome-3

Artemis3
April 10th, 2011, 06:54 PM
Improving gnome2 should've been the priority. It is very unlikely that Canonical will fork and maintain Gnome2 ala Trinity with KDE3, and its not Ubuntu who's dumping "gnome classic", its the Gnome developers. The only reason we still have the "Gnome Classic" option with 11.04, is because it STILL is gnome2.

The thing is, both Gnome shell and Unity are radical changes, to keep a classic desktop will demand replacing gnome, and i doubt canonical would do that, even if they should.

People are disliking both gnome shell and unity, it will take a while to see if gnome shell or unity get adoption, or if people migrate to other desktop environments. I find XFCE 4.8 sufficient for my needs and Xubuntu is very close to the actual (classic) Ubuntu experience.

Nightstrike2009
April 10th, 2011, 07:04 PM
By Artemis3:I find XFCE 4.8 sufficient for my needs and Xubuntu is very close to the actual (classic) Ubuntu experience.

I also find Xfce/Xubuntu to be a good enviroment the problem with using it seems to be its lack of its own applications and reliance on Gnome/KDE applications to fill the void, lack of xcfe specific apps seem to let it down which is a shame Xcfe would be an ideal default environment for ubuntu apart from that IMO.

Rasa1111
April 11th, 2011, 07:58 AM
2 days ago I would have (or did?) say yes to this question.. lol
But i now have to swallow what little pride i already don't have and say that I was 'wrong'..
and that 11.04 is not half as bad as I originally thought after playing with the alpha.

This beta keeps impressing me more and more, little by little... lol

Still wouldnt call myself a "unity fan"..
But I am more open to it now. :P

scouser73
April 11th, 2011, 10:59 AM
I won't read the article as I'm sure it's bound to have been written by someone that's rarely used if never used Ubuntu and has been told of how Ubuntu is second-hand. As for the opening line
Ubuntu 11.04: is this the end of the road? then I say no it's not the end of the road, the road is clear of traffic and it's all systems go.

ElSlunko
April 11th, 2011, 11:27 AM
But i now have to swallow what little pride i already don't have and say that I was 'wrong'..
and that 11.04 is not half as bad as I originally thought after playing with the alpha.

Same went for me, but more about a few weeks ago.

It's just so fast, and if you get used to using the super button, a very nice way to launch apps.

I'm looking forward to improved lenses.

gnomeuser
April 11th, 2011, 05:17 PM

Natty under the hood is very impressive. Everything mostly just works. I am a Unity fan but elect to replace it with a full GNOME3 experience. The underlying system though is hard to beat and Natty has come together nicely on that front and if some hard decisions are made for Ocelot (such as commiting to systemd which is a decision for Ubuntu with both emotions and work attached) I am really hopeful the next LTS will provide an unbeatable stack to build great experiences on.

Natty is a fine step towards providing a system that is actually capable of running a desktop. I'd still like some more attention paid towards getting the Managed language helpers merged long term though, that would make a big difference for a large class of applications which are important on the desktop.

tlcstat
April 11th, 2011, 05:46 PM
Greetings!
Quote from artical
In the end, an operating system is a means to being productive.I agree! And I have never felt more productive than I have since using the Unity desktop. And I started with MSDOS 2.something.

I really think that Canonical should do what Debian does with its beta releases and call them Stable, Testing, Unstable, or something like that. There are too many users that don't know that they are using a "unstable" pre-release version of Ubuntu with Natty. If you want a stable version I suggest 10.04LTS or Maverick. Maverick in my opinion is close to perfect for my own needs. However I tend to run testing or unstable versions because of my roots in the support industry. I have always had to be ahead of the game.
Unity and Natty are already a winner and should be even better as they become stable. After 30 years of using an alternative OS I feel like I'm in OS heaven no matter what I get from Ubuntu. You Ubuntu guys are a bunch of spoiled brats!
tlcstat
Speaking as a fellow spoiled brat of course!