PDA

View Full Version : How much bandwidth do you use a month on your smartphone?

samalex
April 7th, 2011, 10:25 PM
Hey Guys --

Being with Verizon I have unlimited broadband usage on my DroidX, but thinking of some on AT&T and other carriers who are capped I'm curious to know how much bandwidth everyone uses a month? I have a widget on my desktop that shows my usage as of yesterday and it's sitting at 4.922 GB and I believe I have about 9 days left in the billing cycle.

I've read articles that say most people use less than 200 Megs, but for me I stream music all the time from my phone which I think is what chews-up so much bandwidth. Plus we've taken a couple of 5 hour road trips this month with Pandora playing the entire time, so that I think was probably some of it too.

So where does everyone else stand on this? If Verizon ever decided to lock usage down to say 2GB or even 4GB this would suck, but hopefully if that ever happens I'll be grandfathered into the Unlimited plan as I think many iPhone users are with AT&T.

pricetech
April 7th, 2011, 11:19 PM
I use zero bandwidth on my phone. I have Internet access in too many other places to bother with it on the phone.

anaconda
April 7th, 2011, 11:32 PM
about 50-150MB/month.

I have an unlimited broadband with unlimited speed (~11Mb/s) on my phone.

Most of which I use when I share the phones broadband connection with a laptop through wlan.

I dont really even need the internet connection in my phone, but hey. it costs only 2 euros/month so who cares. And sometimes it is handy to be able to check bus timetables with a phone.

Muffinabus
April 8th, 2011, 12:30 AM
10-20MB. I have a 200MB limit but I don't live in an area with 3G access so most of my data just goes over wifi. The amount I do use is when I'm out of town once a week in areas that do have 3G.

EDIT: I'm on T-Mobile and have access to an unlimited plan, I just choose not to utilize it.

RiceMonster
April 8th, 2011, 12:35 AM
I have a 512 MB limit. Last month I used about ~115 MB I think. That was doing a lot of browsing on the go too.

earthpigg
April 8th, 2011, 12:52 AM
i have no idea. probably a lot.

often, while the house's landline bandwidth is being used up by torrents and similar - i will just go ahead and tether my phone to my computer (http://www.mobile-stream.com/easytether/android.html) and surf the internet that way. (edit: relevant thread (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1530546) for ubuntu users + android + USB tethering)

i've done sudo apt-get upgrade before over my cell's connection... hehe.

piquat
April 8th, 2011, 06:37 AM
I have a 512 MB limit. Last month I used about ~115 MB I think. That was doing a lot of browsing on the go too.

Wow, I think just the updates would eat up quite a bit of that 115MB.

I've got unlimited but I probably use between 1 and 2 GB / month. Mostly just browsing on the phone (DroidX). Some talk radio, but that's pretty low bit rate so it doesn't amount to much.

mazato
April 8th, 2011, 06:41 AM
last billing cycle i reached almos 1 GB. But thiwas due to my tethering my laptop, usually it is like 400 mB and 600 MB monthly.

Jesus_Valdez
April 8th, 2011, 07:01 AM
Not much, I'm trying to cut down my Internet usage in my phone.

Not a particular reason other that I don't like to be looking at it all the time.

Drenriza
April 8th, 2011, 07:06 AM
I can with ease and no effort use 2GB on a couple of days. I have a 10GB limit.

samalex
April 8th, 2011, 07:45 PM
Wow! I figured with this type of crowd more people would have higher mobile broadband usage. I'll probably hit 6-7 Gigs this month which is high compared to most since we did use Pandora on a 10 hour car ride, but even on a normal month I'd say I still use no less than 3-4 Gigs. I don't surf much, this is mainly streaming audio, podcasts, and the other various apps that use bandwidth.

gnomeuser
April 8th, 2011, 10:27 PM
I have an unlimited usage account specifically because I don't want to do this.. penny counting when it comes to a MB budget. I find that the whole manner of thinking prevents me the courage to try new things out of fear of a huge bill coming.

If I want a new audiobook in my Audible library while on the go, I am pleased that I can easily and quickly obtain it over my 3G connection. If I am travelling, hooking up my phone to my netbook is simple and easy.

I probably though average around.. 1GB a month currently and rising as I adapt more and more of my computing to run on my phone. Ideally I would want to use something like the Ubuntu One Music Streaming application, picking just 6 gigs of music is.. primitive, I want access to my full collection, and my movies.. all my data actually. Sadly this is currently to expensive in terms of monthly payments and a home rolled solution is to complicated to mess with. When I can buy something like a Drobo FS and put it in my closet to do this with a minimal of fuss, then I will happily jump at it.

Regardless, I pay a monthly sum in return I have never to worry about how much I use nor fear additionally charges. Paying for use sounds appealing on paper but I want zero worries and freedom to grow my use cases. I never want to worry about the pipe, it should be there and be unlimited.

aysiu
April 8th, 2011, 10:37 PM
I use about 300-400 MB a month. So not so little that I can go with the 200 MB plan, but not so much that I've ever been capped or throttled by T-Mobile.

msandoy
April 8th, 2011, 10:41 PM
I have a Samsung android phone, to me it is a fancy calculator with the possibility to make phone calls and sending sms. That tiny screen sucks for internet use, and the onscreen keyboard is a pain in the butt to use. But, then again, I might just be old fasioned.