PDA

View Full Version : Cheese Toasties :D

matt-fender
April 7th, 2011, 09:10 PM
Does anyone else really love cheese toasties?? What do you put in yours?

sydbat
April 7th, 2011, 09:13 PM
Does anyone else really love cheese toasties?? What do you put in yours?Um...eeeewwwww (http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=cheese%20toastie)...

matt-fender
April 7th, 2011, 09:16 PM
Um...eeeewwwww (http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=cheese%20toastie)...

DUDE....WRONG!!!!!!!!! :shock::shock:

youbuntu
April 7th, 2011, 09:25 PM
Um...eeeewwwww (http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=cheese%20toastie)...

There's always one, isn't there!

Back on planet earth, I love them :P

sydbat
April 7th, 2011, 09:32 PM
DUDE....WRONG!!!!!!!!! :shock::shock:Only thing on the first page when I Googled. Seriously.

So, if not THAT, what are they?

matt-fender
April 7th, 2011, 09:33 PM
http://www.google.com/imgres?q=cheese+toasty&um=1&hl=en&client=ubuntu&sa=N&channel=fs&gl=uk&tbm=isch&tbnid=W1dt6TWQY0hhZM:&imgrefurl=http://www.pnmprojects.co.uk/images/&ei=ax-eTfzUKo-Mswbs6fW6BA&zoom=1&iact=hc&vpx=421&vpy=109&dur=700&hovh=230&hovw=219&tx=97&ty=112&oei=ax-eTfzUKo-Mswbs6fW6BA&page=1&tbnh=132&tbnw=128&start=0&ndsp=32&ved=1t:429,r:2,s:0&biw=1440&bih=730

toasted cheese sammich :P nom nom lol!

youbuntu
April 7th, 2011, 09:35 PM
Only thing on the first page when I Googled. Seriously.

So, if not THAT, what are they?

You cannot be serious... surely... :roll:

Wobblybob
April 7th, 2011, 09:36 PM
Cheese Toasties yum
cheese & syrup
cheese & marmalade
cheese and bacon

matt-fender
April 7th, 2011, 09:36 PM
Cheese Toasties yum
cheese & syrup
cheese & marmalade
cheese and bacon

they sound amazing!!

ever tried cheese beens n bacon?

sydbat
April 7th, 2011, 09:44 PM
You cannot be serious... surely... :roll:Well...yes, I am!

Here in Canada (and most likely the rest of North America and the world) we call it grilled cheese. I have never heard them called Cheese Toasties.

Now that we are back on topic, I like mine either straight up or with chopped onion. And don't forget the tomato soup...God help you if you forget the tomato soup...

matt-fender
April 7th, 2011, 09:47 PM
Well...yes, I am!

Here in Canada (and most likely the rest of North America and the world) we call it grilled cheese. I have never heard them called Cheese Toasties.

Now that we are back on topic, I like mine either straight up or with chopped onion. And don't forget the tomato soup...God help you if you forget the tomato soup...

Is going to try this later :P

mips
April 7th, 2011, 09:56 PM

I doubt that, you guys over there have your own unique lingo while the rest of us in the colonies generally tend to use English terminology.

Over here they are generally referred to as Toasted Cheese sandwiches or snackwiches. They are generally toasted in a frying pan or between two hot plates in a toaster.

Grill would imply placing them underneath the oven grill which is the way I prefer them by the way if not made on hot coals/bbq.

sydbat
April 7th, 2011, 10:03 PM
I doubt that, you guys over there have your own unique lingo while the rest of us in the colonies generally tend to use English terminology.

Over here they are generally referred to as Toasted Cheese sandwiches or snackwiches. They are generally toasted in a frying pan or between two hot plates in a toaster.

Grill would imply placing them underneath the oven grill which is the way I prefer them by the way if not made on hot coals/bbq.Yup. Local dialects.

To me, grill is a very US term meaning BBQ. Or, as you say, in the oven on the top rack under the grill element.

Why we say 'grilled cheese', I don't know. Perhaps it was originally grilled on an open fire in a frying pan. Now it's just on top of the stove** in a frying pan (or a counter top sandwich maker).

**That's 'cooker' for you Brits...:P

youbuntu
April 7th, 2011, 10:12 PM
I do not see how the ambiguity as to the meaning of the term "cheese toastie" was reached... :?

Let me seeee...

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=cheese+toastie

Ah, yes - the FIRST RESULT explains it, beyond any shadow of a doubt! LOL! :P

P1C0
April 7th, 2011, 10:12 PM
Do you mean sth like saganaki? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saganaki

I thought a cheese toastie is sth that also involves 2 slices of bread, but that must not be the case.

matt-fender
April 7th, 2011, 10:26 PM
I thought a cheese toastie is sth that also involves 2 slices of bread, but that must not be the case.

Ohhh it is, imagine two peices of toast with melted cheese in the middle mmmmmmmm :)

P1C0
April 7th, 2011, 11:35 PM
Ohhh it is, imagine two peices of toast with melted cheese in the middle mmmmmmmm :)Well I usually have that as breakfast with a sliced tomato or plain ketchup.
I also like it with canned tuna and chopped onion.

andras artois
April 8th, 2011, 01:37 AM
It's all about cheese and bacon.

OM NOM NOM NOM

undecim
April 8th, 2011, 01:53 AM
Ham or turkey

I also like to take those round sandwich thins you find between the buns and bread at the store, cover each half in some shredded cheese, and maybe some meat, stick them in the microwave for 30 seconds, and put them back together to make a melted cheese and meat sandwich. (For some reason, though, it's just not as good with normal bread.)

Also, Doritos topped with cheddar and nuked for 20 seconds.

smellyman
April 8th, 2011, 03:54 AM
The French might do it better, a Croque Monsieur...mmmmmmmm

Legeril
April 8th, 2011, 04:22 AM
I can't believe nobody mentioned this one, Cheese and Marmite Toastie - truly a snack for the gods. Zeus used to eat these after a hard day chucking lightning bolts about. FACT.

visitron
April 8th, 2011, 04:32 AM
http://www.visitron.net/ct.png

Cheese Toasties

Ingredients

* 4 tablespoons (1/4 cup) Kerrygold Irish Butter
* 8 slices firm, country-style white bread
* 1 package (7 ounces) Kerrygold Dubliner Cheese, grated
* 1 tablespoon snipped fresh chives
* Salt and freshly ground black Pepper

Preparation

1. Butter bread and arrange cheese over half of the slices, buttered side down. Sprinkle with chives and cover with remaining slices, buttered side up.
2. Preheat a griddle or large non-stick frying pan and cook sandwiches two at a time 2 minutes each side until golden brown and cheese has melted. Keep hot.
3. To serve, cut the cheese toasts into fingers.

Serves

Serves 4 to 6

wolfen69
April 8th, 2011, 06:28 AM
stick them in the microwave for 30 seconds

Microwaved bread is horrible.

I make my "cheese toastie" with extra sharp cheddar on wheat bread, fried in a little bit of margarine until dark brown. And yeah, tomato soup with it is awesome.

mips
April 8th, 2011, 10:49 AM
To me, grill is a very US term meaning BBQ. Or, as you say, in the oven on the top rack under the grill element.

Why we say 'grilled cheese', I don't know. Perhaps it was originally grilled on an open fire in a frying pan. Now it's just on top of the stove** in a frying pan (or a counter top sandwich maker).

I still prefer it on the bbq grill or under the oven grill. I apply butter to the outside and grill it. You end up with nice golden crispy/crunchy bread on the outside and soft gooey cheese on the inside. Doing it on the stove is just to soggy & greasy.

Usually do it with cheese & tomato and a sprinkle of mixed dried green herbs (origanum, thyme & rosemary)

Do you mean sth like saganaki? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saganaki

I would say that qualifies, just a Greek variety on the theme. I sometimes do open grilled cheese.

Ham or turkey

I also like to take those round sandwich thins you find between the buns and bread at the store, cover each half in some shredded cheese, and maybe some meat, stick them in the microwave for 30 seconds, and put them back together to make a melted cheese and meat sandwich.

Eish, microwaved stuff is disgusting, especially bread in a microwave. Sacrilege!

I can't believe nobody mentioned this one, Cheese and Marmite Toastie - truly a snack for the gods. Zeus used to eat these after a hard day chucking lightning bolts about. FACT.

Marmite, Bovril & Vegemite is an acquire taste mostly only appreciated by people in the colonies and then not all of them. You won't easily find it on american store shelves for example, kinda like salt & vinegar chips that only came out a while back in the states when Pringles brought it out. I LOVE it though.

Grenage
April 8th, 2011, 10:56 AM
I can only imagine how overweight you all are. ;)

P.S: Everyone knows that cheese and Marmite wins.

mips
April 8th, 2011, 11:00 AM
I can only imagine how overweight you all are. ;)

Everything in moderation, I only have it once a week and I'm generally a healthy eater. 189cm@79kg is not to bad I would say.

Grenage
April 8th, 2011, 11:07 AM
Everything in moderation, I only have it once a week and I'm generally a healthy eater. 189cm@79kg is not to bad I would say.

My wife says that I'm a 'Food Nazi', which in probably a bit harsh. She likes Nutella toasties, for which I mock her; I'd never admit that they taste pretty good.

gerowen
April 8th, 2011, 11:16 AM
There's a 3 page topic on the awesomeness of grilled cheese...

I like mine with tomato soup, :-)

treesurf
April 8th, 2011, 12:57 PM
The British rule at proper cooking.

I think the rest of the world begs to differ.

I will agree that grilled cheese is excellent though. Fried in butter in an iron skillet is best. Never tried it on an open fire yet.

youbuntu
April 8th, 2011, 02:12 PM
Microwaved bread is horrible.

I make my "cheese toastie" with extra sharp cheddar on wheat bread, fried in a little bit of margarine until dark brown. And yeah, tomato soup with it is awesome.

Agreed.

A microwave is only good for re-heating cold food. I laugh at some people in my family, because they use a microwave to cook scrambled eggs :?

Food turns to rubber in a microwave.

JOHNNYG713
April 8th, 2011, 02:33 PM
First if you are going to tempt me with such fare ! You should let me in on how the hell to make it ! Cheese Toasties sounds GREAT ! Maybe with some cinnamon and sugar?? !!:popcorn:

mips
April 8th, 2011, 02:55 PM
I think the rest of the world begs to differ.

I will agree that grilled cheese is excellent though. Fried in butter in an iron skillet is best. Never tried it on an open fire yet.

+1

Not an open fire, hot coals. Raise the grid off the coals higher than you would do for meat else the bread will burn and the cheese will barely melt. I do them after I've done the meat so the coals are a bit cooler but the grid still needs to be raised.

sydbat
April 8th, 2011, 03:03 PM
I still prefer it on the bbq grill or under the oven grill. I apply butter to the outside and grill it. You end up with nice golden crispy/crunchy bread on the outside and soft gooey cheese on the inside. Doing it on the stove is just to soggy & greasy.When I was a kid, the best toast was when we put bread onto the BBQ after dinner. Of course, that was when we used coals and they were still nicely warm...mmmm...Today, with propane, you can't do that.

kinda like salt & vinegar chips that only came out a while back in the states when Pringles brought it out.Don't know about the US, but here in Canada, we have had salt 'n' vinegar chips for as long as I can remember...at least since the late 60's...probably before.

Simian Man
April 8th, 2011, 03:12 PM
At Steak & Shake, they have a sandwich called the "Frisco Melt (http://www.google.com/images?q=frisco melt)" which is basically a grilled cheese with a thin hamburger patty on it with a tangy tomato sauce. It's amazing, like eating a burger, grilled cheese and tomato soup together. I have tried to recreate it at home, and gotten close, but nothing beats the real thing.

I guess they only have Steak & Shake in some parts of the US which is a shame :(.

Don't know about the US, but here in Canada, we have had salt 'n' vinegar chips for as long as I can remember...at least since the late 60's...probably before.

This is true in America too.

youbuntu
April 8th, 2011, 03:16 PM
Why would you need to fry cheese, which is fatty, in butter? :?

No wonder Americans are fat :lol:

Grenage
April 8th, 2011, 03:16 PM
Why would you need to fry cheese, which is fatty, in butter? :?

No wonder Americans are fat :lol:

Don't say that too loudly, the UK isn't far behind on the obesity scale! After all, have you ever had to eat a full-english?

mips
April 8th, 2011, 03:24 PM
When I was a kid, the best toast was when we put bread onto the BBQ after dinner. Of course, that was when we used coals and they were still nicely warm...mmmm...Today, with propane, you can't do that.

What stops you from buying wood charcoal(wood briquettes)?

I can't stand a gas bbq. Ideal fuel is hard wood.

LowSky
April 8th, 2011, 03:36 PM
Its called a 'Grilled Cheese' in North America because it is traditionally made on a griddle, which some how is called a grill in most diners, hence the name: grilled cheese.

Salt and Vinegar chips can be found on the East Coast for as long as my mother can remember and she is near 60
http://www.wisesnacks.com/Products/PotatoChips/TraditionalPotatoChips/SaltVinegarPotatoChips.aspx

uRock
April 8th, 2011, 03:45 PM
Its called a 'Grilled Cheese' in North America because it is traditionally made on a griddle, which some how is called a grill in most diners, hence the name: grilled cheese.

I've made them on a charcoal grill before. It has to be cooler than when cooking meats, but they come out super yummy.

sydbat
April 8th, 2011, 03:51 PM
What stops you from buying wood charcoal(wood briquettes)?

I can't stand a gas bbq. Ideal fuel is hard wood.Most propane BBQ's can't do charcoal briquettes or other ash producing materials because it will gum up the gas jets. However, there are hybrids, but they are kind of expensive.

Also, on the salt 'n' vinegar potato chip front, I asked my dad (84) and he remembers them from when he was a kid. So they have been around for a very long time in North America.

mips
April 8th, 2011, 05:28 PM
Salt and Vinegar chips can be found on the East Coast for as long as my mother can remember and she is near 60
http://www.wisesnacks.com/Products/PotatoChips/TraditionalPotatoChips/SaltVinegarPotatoChips.aspx

East coast I could probably understand due to English influence. Maybe it was just not that popular across the whole US?

I've made them on a charcoal grill before. It has to be cooler than when cooking meats, but they come out super yummy.

It's the best way. It's my favourite above the meat that comes off the grill :D

Most propane BBQ's can't do charcoal briquettes or other ash producing materials because it will gum up the gas jets. However, there are hybrids, but they are kind of expensive.

Also, on the salt 'n' vinegar potato chip front, I asked my dad (84) and he remembers them from when he was a kid. So they have been around for a very long time in North America.

Why not just use a normal BBQ?

Maybe just not as well known or as popular.

Reason I mentioned the salt&vinegar chips was years ago (90's) on another forum (99% US/Canada users) there was a big discussion about it when Pringles (or maybe Lays?) brought out Salt & Vinegar flavour and people were going on about how hard it is to find S&V chips in the US and many people commenting how disgusting it tasted. I just got the impression it was not that widely available at the time and not popular?

wolfen69
April 8th, 2011, 05:50 PM
Doing it on the stove is just to soggy & greasy.

Not if it's done right. With just the right amount of margarine and high heat, they come out nice and crispy. Mmmmmmmmm.

spoons
April 8th, 2011, 05:54 PM
We have Cheesy Beans Surprise, cheese on toast (melted under the grill naturally) with Baked Beans on.

What's the suprise?? It's got BACON!

sydbat
April 8th, 2011, 07:02 PM
East coast I could probably understand due to English influence. Maybe it was just not that popular across the whole US?

It's the best way. It's my favourite above the meat that comes off the grill :D

Why not just use a normal BBQ?

Maybe just not as well known or as popular.

Reason I mentioned the salt&vinegar chips was years ago (90's) on another forum (99% US/Canada users) there was a big discussion about it when Pringles (or maybe Lays?) brought out Salt & Vinegar flavour and people were going on about how hard it is to find S&V chips in the US and many people commenting how disgusting it tasted. I just got the impression it was not that widely available at the time and not popular?Normal BBQ? As in a charcoal one? We have one for camping. I'll give it a try this summer.

And my dad was born and raised in Western Canada, so your comment about "only in the east" is not quite right. Of course, I cannot really blame you, as you are in another country and do not know the intricacies of what goes on here. It would be like me saying something about South Africa without really knowing what is going on there.

No harm, no foul!;)

uRock
April 8th, 2011, 07:07 PM
Propane = Just cook it in the oven or in a frying pan, IMO.

sydbat
April 8th, 2011, 07:10 PM
Well...I know what I'm having for lunch!

ErikNJ
April 8th, 2011, 08:11 PM
I don't think the cousin can be forgotten here either... The tuna melt!

http://images.media-allrecipes.com//site/allrecipes/area/community/userphoto/big/1616.jpg

http://allrecipes.com//Recipe/best-tuna-melt-new-jersey-diner-style/Detail.aspx

P1C0
April 9th, 2011, 01:32 PM
I don't think the cousin can be forgotten here either... The tuna melt!

http://images.media-allrecipes.com//site/allrecipes/area/community/userphoto/big/1616.jpg

http://allrecipes.com//Recipe/best-tuna-melt-new-jersey-diner-style/Detail.aspx
I prefer a little bit of lemon juice insted of vinegar, makes it more fresh in my opinion. You can also throw in some canned corn.