PDA

View Full Version : How to get rid of silk-screened operator logos on mobile phones :)

youbuntu
April 7th, 2011, 08:35 PM
I have a ZTE "Blade", which is re-badged as an Orange "San Francisco", on Orange UK. While I quite like the silver text which says "San Francisco" across the top of the front of the handset, I find it quite ugly that the carriers slap their logo everywhere.

I have the white model, which, as you can see, has the "Orange" logo slap bang in the bottom middle of the rear cover. Ugh!

http://www.prepaymania.co.uk/capsta/photo2/san-francisco-android-white-mobile-phone-orange-pay-as-you-go-d.jpg

Here's what to do to remove this logo (be careful with rubbery/satin type coatings on phones!):

1/ Get a sugar cube, and rub the corner of it around and around over the logo, continuously for about 15-20 mins, until the silk screened ink (eventually) wears off... and believe me, I was sceptical, but IT DOES! :D You can use sugar grains if you have no cubes, by pressing your finger into a heap of sugar, and applying firm pressure (no, it won't scratch matt/glossy plastic - hence we are using sugar, and not sand :P). You will need to brush off the grains from your finger, and apply a fresh lot every min or so, as the grains facing the casing will wear smooth (akin to sandpaper wearing out).

2/ Once the logo has disappeared completely, wipe the casing down with a damp cloth to remove any residual sugar.

I now have a plain, unlocked, de-branded & logo-less ZTE "Blade"!

Woo Hoo!

[EDIT] Not too sure about spray-painted silver casings... hmmm... let me know :)

KiwiNZ
April 7th, 2011, 08:41 PM
Does this leave any abrasions on the surface?

Paddy Landau
April 7th, 2011, 08:43 PM
Cool!

I shall try this. Thanks.

youbuntu
April 7th, 2011, 09:05 PM
Does this leave any abrasions on the surface?

Nope, not a single scratch - not even a microscopic one, which is why sugar is the magic ingredient; hard enough to abrade silk screening, but soft enough to look after your casing. Mind you, rubberised/"satinised" or other special finish surfaces may suffer abrasions. You will need to be very patient, but believe me - after about 15 mins, the magic starts to happen, as that ghastly logo gradually fades... into NOTHING! :lol:

I can only vouch for hard plastic, without any coatings, be it matte or gloss (mine was glossy white :P :roll:)

PS: If your logo has been sealed in with some form of transparent lacquer, this probably won't work. I am sure that would be too much cost & effort for carriers.

KiwiNZ
April 7th, 2011, 09:45 PM
Nope, not a single scratch - not even a microscopic one, which is why sugar is the magic ingredient; hard enough to abrade silk screening, but soft enough to look after your casing. Mind you, rubberised/"satinised" or other special finish surfaces may suffer abrasions. You will need to be very patient, but believe me - after about 15 mins, the magic starts to happen, as that ghastly logo gradually fades... into NOTHING! :lol:

I can only vouch for hard plastic, without any coatings, be it matte or gloss (mine was glossy white :P :roll:)

PS: If your logo has been sealed in with some form of transparent lacquer, this probably won't work. I am sure that would be too much cost & effort for carriers.

There is some cheesy Logo's on my Boat that I would like to get rid of without leaving marks so I may give this a try. Good tip

youbuntu
April 7th, 2011, 09:51 PM
There is some cheesy Logo's on my Boat that I would like to get rid of without leaving marks so I may give this a try. Good tip

Your... BOAT?!

Ha! Maybe you will be away some timmmeee... :P

KiwiNZ
April 7th, 2011, 09:52 PM
Your... BOAT?!

Ha! Maybe you will be away some timmmeee... :P

Don't get excited the Dark Side is always here :evil:

Maybe not me but an apprentice

youbuntu
April 7th, 2011, 09:56 PM
Don't get excited the Dark Side is always here :evil:

Maybe not me but an apprentice

I meant away scrubbing your boat! :)

PS: Darth Vader got killed, didn't he?

KiwiNZ
April 7th, 2011, 10:02 PM
Actually I was placed on standby this morning because of the 7.1 quake in Japan this morning but have just been stood down . So again you are lucky :P

youbuntu
April 7th, 2011, 10:08 PM
Actually I was placed on standby this morning because of the 7.1 quake in Japan this morning but have just been stood down . So again you are lucky :P

Eh? "lucky"? Sorry, but You've lost me :?

KiwiNZ
April 7th, 2011, 10:12 PM
Eh? "lucky"? Sorry, but You've lost me :?

You are lucky I am still here, if I had not been stood down I may well have been on a Plane to Japan
as part of our USAR Team :)

youbuntu
April 7th, 2011, 10:13 PM
You are lucky I am still here, if I had not been stood down I may well have been on a Plane to Japan
as part of our USAR Team :)

You've still lost me...

KiwiNZ
April 7th, 2011, 10:16 PM
http://nz.news.yahoo.com/a/-/world/9157938/japan-disaster-zone-hit-by-new-powerful-quake/

I am a member of Search and Rescue that is why I have stood down a Admin and Council member here , I can be called away at a moments notice day or night.

youbuntu
April 7th, 2011, 10:18 PM
:confused:

Sorry, I'm so confused here... I thought you were talking about me being "lucky" (which is a term I don't live by, fwiw).

Annnyhooo, the sugar works a treat on logos :D

pricetech
April 7th, 2011, 11:50 PM
I prefer a sledge hammer and cutting torch, but that's just me.

Paqman
April 7th, 2011, 11:59 PM
Nope, not a single scratch - not even a microscopic one, which is why sugar is the magic ingredient; hard enough to abrade silk screening, but soft enough to look after your casing.

I believe chocolate actually makes a surprisingly good mild abrasive, too. Never tried it myself, but i've seen stuff online of people using it on very soft metals like aluminium.

pi3.1415926535...
April 8th, 2011, 12:21 AM
:confused:

Sorry, I'm so confused here... I thought you were talking about me being "lucky" (which is a term I don't live by, fwiw).

Annnyhooo, the sugar works a treat on logos :D

You are lucky because you can still read fresh insightful comments by KiwiNZ, who would not be able to post if on a trip.