PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] upgrade from 10.10 to 11.04

Sina_RJ
April 7th, 2011, 08:09 PM
I want to upgrade from my 10.10 to 11.04 beta
i was wondering how should i do that
and there is one more thing,all my setting and applications will be destroyed?
and the last thing is,I really would like to have a netbook version environment,cos my friend had a 10.04 netbook and upgrade it directly into 11.04 and desktop and menus are like netbook,this is what 11.04 look like or that's because of his last ubuntu version??

Revolutionary101
April 7th, 2011, 08:19 PM
Well here is a page that instructs you how to upgrade:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/NattyUpgrades

Although the first one will not work because 11.04 is still in beta. If you do a clean install from the disc it will wipe your documents and settings in Ubuntu. Although I believe you can burn a CD with an 11.04 ISO file and insert it into the disc drive while you have update manager open, it will update and not replace your documents and settings. (but I would suggest backing your data up on an external hard drive)

As for your friend, 11.04 has no netbook edition. When you install 11.04 it will look exactly like the netbook edition because the desktop and netbook editions merged.

Dutch70
April 7th, 2011, 08:26 PM
It's really not a good idea to install a beta version as your only system. Those of us that install development releases usually have it on a usb stick, virtual machine, or in a separate partition on our hard drive, and use a stable version of Ubuntu for our main system.

Revolutionary101
April 7th, 2011, 08:32 PM
It's really not a good idea to install a beta version as your only system. Those of us that install development releases usually have it on a usb stick, virtual machine, or in a separate partition on our hard drive, and use a stable version of Ubuntu for our main system.

I second that, it doesn't hurt to wait for 11.04 because it is going to be released on April 27th as stable. I would suggest to wait until then. However if you feel a true need to upgrade, you can follow the instructions that I gave you.

Sina_RJ
April 7th, 2011, 08:38 PM
this is what i call LOVE TO UPGRADE :D
i really can't wait even 20 days for the final release :(

Dutch70
April 7th, 2011, 10:37 PM
this is what i call LOVE TO UPGRADE :D
i really can't wait even 20 days for the final release :(

That's one thing that is wonderful about Ubuntu, your machine, your choice.

Just remember that after you install 11.04, you're the one helping, by reporting bugs and such. Not the one asking for help. Any problems you have with it will have to be posted in the Natty testing and development section of the forum, or the mods will move it there.

Best regards

mörgæs
April 7th, 2011, 11:28 PM
Agree with the post above.

If you have the space, you could install 11.04 beta next to 10.10. This way it is easy to copy your user files to 11.04 while still having a working system.