PDA

View Full Version : Should I Switch to 64 bit?

jonbwilson
April 7th, 2011, 05:59 PM
I already know the advantages and disadvantages. I'm just curious if my current hardware configuration would support it without any hiccups.

I have an Intel Core 2 CPU T7200 @ 2.00 GHz that's 64 bit, so I know I'm good on that front. However, I only have 2 GB of RAM, and I know that a 64 bit OS is designed to take advantage of systems with more than 4GB of RAM. So, my question is, does having only 2GB of RAM cause a problem when using a 64 bit system?

If not, I'm upgrading. 32 bit systems are going the way of the buffalo, and I can't afford a new laptop right now.

oldfred
April 7th, 2011, 06:15 PM
So I could have the same configuration on my desktop with 4GB and my laptop with 1.5GB, I installed 64 bit in both. No issues as far as I know with either system. My biggest issue is video with Nvidia on my desktop. Nomodeset required on first boot. It just works on my laptop which is the older Intel 945 and uses 915 driver.

Supposed the larger 64bit address starts to offset the increased speed about 2GB, so I may not be ahead, but like just being able to copy all my configurations to my laptop. Except of course Video.

DanneStrat
April 7th, 2011, 06:19 PM
I already know the advantages and disadvantages. I'm just curious if my current hardware configuration would support it without any hiccups.

I have an Intel Core 2 CPU T7200 @ 2.00 GHz that's 64 bit, so I know I'm good on that front. However, I only have 2 GB of RAM, and I know that a 64 bit OS is designed to take advantage of systems with more than 3GB of RAM. So, my question is, does having only 2GB of RAM cause a problem when using a 64 bit system?

If not, I'm upgrading. 32 bit systems are going the way of the buffalo, and I can't afford a new laptop right now.

No, there shouldn't be any problems with that

configuration. 64-bit is particularly useful when

you do processing that start to hit 4 GB of ram. With 2 GB, you may still

get some performance benefits when doing certain tasks.

Good luck.

jonbwilson
April 8th, 2011, 06:56 AM
Thanks for the info. Next time I do a reinstall, whether it be to upgrade or because I'm bored, I'll try out the 64 bit flavor and see how things go. I'm really happy with my Pinguy configuration right now and don't feel like going through the work of tweaking everything all over again.