PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Urgent Help Needed

wolf187
April 7th, 2011, 05:10 PM
Hello, I am still a bit new to ubuntu, I upgraded last night/today from Ubuntu 10.10 to Ubuntu 11.04 and now it comes up as Xubuntu 11.04 and there is no GDM or and splash,it only shows the process that are started and I saw that the Start Load Fallback Graphics had failed and I have a SiS 671/672 graphics card(not by choice but it is a laptop). The system however just shows the processes and does not show anything else and when I type out anything it comes up on the screen in the text but it does not have a reply even for common commands such as help and reboot and sudo, I desperately need help because I have an assignment due very soon and it is stored on the computer and I can't access because there is nothing that works. I used the sudo apt-get dist-upgrade and the files downloaded fine and the graphics was working fine before but now it is just black screen with white output and nothing works.

Thanks in advance for all the help

tread29
April 7th, 2011, 05:22 PM
Hopefully someone can post up with the solution, but if not...

...there might be a solution to get your paper off the machine so you can finish it elsewhere. Can you boot to a live cd or usb key and access your files? If so you could pull them off your machine and finish them on another machine, or do a clean install on your machine and copy your files back on to it. Just make sure you grab ALL the files you want to keep before doing a fresh install. Just an idea.

Although I've accessed files on my windows partition from a live cd many times, I've never had a need to access the ones on my Linux partition.

Good Luck!

wolf187
April 7th, 2011, 06:44 PM
I will try that as a last resort because now I just want my OS to work and have all my files to be still there.