PDA

View Full Version : Ubuntu Google Search

teejay17
April 7th, 2011, 02:58 PM
Does Canonical make money off the customized Google search page? Will it help out Canonical if I set all my computers, even MS ones, to have the "Ubuntu" Google start page?

undecim
April 7th, 2011, 05:04 PM
I'm pretty sure that Canonical does make money. If I'm not mistaken, they considered switching to Yahoo search a while ago because they were offered more.

If you want to show support for Ubuntu, I don't see how setting Ubuntu as your start page could hurt.

Though there are plenty of other things you can do to help Ubuntu/Canonical, too. :)

scouser73
April 7th, 2011, 08:42 PM
I think Google does give money to Canonical to have them as the main search provider on Ubuntu.

undecim
April 8th, 2011, 01:56 AM
I think Google does give money to Canonical to have them as the main search provider on Ubuntu.

So the question is: Does Canonical get money per-search, per ad click, per unique IP, or just one lump sum for making them the default?

ugm6hr
April 8th, 2011, 11:50 AM
So the question is: Does Canonical get money per-search, per ad click, per unique IP, or just one lump sum for making them the default?

I presume per ad click. Google advertisers pay per click, so it would make sense that providers that direct to google ads get a "cut." Don't quote me though!

I agree there is no harm in using Ubuntu's search function. I have to say - I tend to used to use the Google search bar at the top in Firefox (hence giving credit to Mozilla) - but now that I use Chrome, I presume everything's back in Google's coffers again.

While we're on the subject of supporting OSS without paying - don't forget Gnome's Amazon search function - http://jaap.haitsma.org/category/gnome/

Spice Weasel
April 8th, 2011, 11:54 AM
Canonical are a business, not a charity. Use whatever homepage you like, you don't have to give them money.

Mmmbopdowedop
April 8th, 2011, 12:21 PM
Canonical are a business, not a charity. Use whatever homepage you like, you don't have to give them money.

I agree with this, if it was a charity, I may consider it, but as a company, naw.

I'd rather support google, seeing as half my life has been revolving around them.

undecim
April 8th, 2011, 03:55 PM

Good thing Canonical doesn't have the same philosophy with Ubuntu. If you've never paid Canonical for the work they've done, then they might as well be a non-profit charity to you. Especially if you want to support the open source products that they work to improve.

XubuRoxMySox
April 8th, 2011, 06:52 PM
Canonical gives away a superb operating system for free. They provide these support forums for free.

I want to support this project because it's awesome, that's all. And if using the Ubuntu/Google start page is a super-easy way to do that, I'm happy to do it. I always use the Ubuntu start page first in any internet search.

Canonical hasn't become profitable yet, despite Ubuntu One, their paid support services, the Ubuntu Store, etc. But I hope they do become profitable so they can continue to maintain and develop this way cool cost-free OS.

-Robin

teejay17
April 8th, 2011, 07:18 PM
One thing I noticed when using the Ubuntu start page for search is that, after doing a search, there's a check box to select "Ubuntu 10.10" and one for straightforward "Google." Why does it differentiate the two. I thought it was all just a Google search.

Linye
April 8th, 2011, 09:58 PM
How can I make the that page appear in FF4?

teejay17
April 11th, 2011, 01:25 PM
How can I make the that page appear in FF4?
Just go to "options" then the "general" tab, and fill your landing page of choice (either manually, or using the "use current page" button.

NCLI
April 11th, 2011, 04:19 PM
I presume per ad click. Google advertisers pay per click, so it would make sense that providers that direct to google ads get a "cut." Don't quote me though!

I agree there is no harm in using Ubuntu's search function. I have to say - I tend to used to use the Google search bar at the top in Firefox (hence giving credit to Mozilla) - but now that I use Chrome, I presume everything's back in Google's coffers again.

While we're on the subject of supporting OSS without paying - don't forget Gnome's Amazon search function - http://jaap.haitsma.org/category/gnome/
Ever noticed the URL when you do a google search in Ubuntu at all?

http://www.google.com/search?client=ubuntu&channel=fs&q=lolcats&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8
Clearly it's being counted by Google.

undecim
April 11th, 2011, 05:39 PM
Ever noticed the URL when you do a google search in Ubuntu at all?

http://www.google.com/search?client=ubuntu&channel=fs&q=lolcats&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8
Clearly it's being counted by Google.

Just because it's being counted doesn't mean a pay-per-click. If you were dealing with Canonical wouldn't you want to know how much it is worth to you to have Google as the default Ubuntu search? I'm sure those figures are used in negotiations about the search.

NCLI
April 12th, 2011, 12:27 AM
Just because it's being counted doesn't mean a pay-per-click. If you were dealing with Canonical wouldn't you want to know how much it is worth to you to have Google as the default Ubuntu search? I'm sure those figures are used in negotiations about the search.
Yes, and that was all I meant to argue for :p