PDA

View Full Version : Shipit

goldfox_79
April 7th, 2011, 03:52 AM
Just wondering, how many CDs have been shipped before the end of shipit, and how many people have requested CDs?

andrew.46
April 7th, 2011, 08:39 AM
I did not realise that shipit had closed :(. It is a great shame, I picked up many, many free cds from there and I am sure this service was at least partly to do with the growth and immense popularity of Ubuntu....

satish_j
April 7th, 2011, 09:26 AM
it was a great service,indeed!!:o

galacticaboy
April 7th, 2011, 09:36 AM
R.I.P. ShipIt, you were loved by many.

malspa
April 7th, 2011, 09:45 AM
Great service for those of us who used dial-up.

Philsoki
April 7th, 2011, 10:50 AM
I used ShipIt to get Ubuntu 7.10, 8.04 and 8.10... Then I got broadband. There was something cool about getting those CD's in there brown packaging and bubble wrap though. And the stickers!

XubuRoxMySox
April 7th, 2011, 11:17 AM
One could always get Ubuntu or Kubuntu CDs through ShipIt, but Xubuntu was not available through ShipIt. The Xubuntu folks had to make other arrangements with a different vendor!

Those arrangements, fortunately, are still in place! Folks can still get Xubuntu CDs free of charge (just cover the shipping).

Free Xubuntu CDs (http://www.xubuntu.org/news/quickship)

No one has ever explained why Xubuntu was never available through ShipIt. But it's nice to know that even after ShipIt is done, we can still get Xubuntu CDs for free! It matters to those of us who are still stuck with dial-up, or those with limited-bandwidth use restrictions (like satellite internet).

A Xubuntu fanboy,
Robin

NightwishFan
April 7th, 2011, 11:23 AM
Those arrangements, fortunately, are still in place! Folks can still get Xubuntu CDs free of charge (just cover the shipping).

Thanks for the link! :)

No one has ever explained why Xubuntu was never available through ShipIt.
I believe Xubuntu is not an official Canonical project even though it is a recognized derivative. Though I do remember ship-it considering it, however it has turned down due to cost reasons. I might not be entirely accurate though.

But it's nice to know that even after ShipIt is done, we can still get Xubuntu CDs for free! It matters to those of us who are still stuck with dial-up, or those with limited-bandwidth use restrictions (like satellite internet).
I agree. I spent years without internet as an Ubuntu user.

A Xubuntu fanboy,
Robin
XFCE ftw! :D

dirty_harry
April 7th, 2011, 12:39 PM
It matters to those of us who are still stuck with dial-up, or those with limited-bandwidth use restrictions (like satellite internet).

people start to feel this more and more. always online, always in touch, always fast DSL/UMTS/WIMAX, always unlimited traffic...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UXLHpVHhj80
(BBC - Last Chance to See - Stephen Fry about Camping)

Joeb454
April 7th, 2011, 04:08 PM
I used ShipIt to get Ubuntu 7.10, 8.04 and 8.10... Then I got broadband. There was something cool about getting those CD's in there brown packaging and bubble wrap though. And the stickers!

You can still order discs from the Ubuntu store (http://shop.canonical.com/)

Grenage
April 7th, 2011, 04:10 PM
R.I.P. ShipIt, you were loved by many.

And probably abused by most.

Yes, I started a sentence with 'and'; I'll flog myself later.

TBABill
April 11th, 2011, 07:07 PM
From Distrowatch today....http://distrowatch.com/weekly.php?issue=20110411#news

"Today it was announced that ShipIt, the free CD service that Canonical has been running since the inception of Ubuntu, will be discontinued. Why? A few reasons. Firstly, CD distribution is not really as effective as it used to be, and it is expensive. These days, particularly with the availability of low-cost, hi-speed Internet growing across the world, more and more people are simply downloading the ISO images and burning them to a CD or installing from a USB stick. Canonical felt like it would make better sense to reduce the investment in snail-mail CD distribution and focus it more on LoCo Teams and use those savings to invest in other areas of the project."

I'm thinking there will be many around the world who will feel left out, particularly in places where broadband may be difficult to come by or where metered Internet access is all that is available. The flip side is Canonical must manage costs and remain profitable in order to continue development.

Tough spot for both sides in this case I think.

Edit: apologies for being late to the game. Searched, but didn't use the term shipit in my search...errrrrr

howefield
April 11th, 2011, 07:10 PM
Threads merged.

coolbrook
April 11th, 2011, 10:09 PM
ShipIt should've been sending only LTS CDs.

markp1989
April 11th, 2011, 10:32 PM
thats a shame, I used shipit a few years ago when my isp blocked torrents.

last 4 or 5 releases I have downloaded as I didnt need the free cds.

I feel sorry for people stuck on dial up, but I'm sure a lot who used shipit didnt need it.

Old_Grey_Wolf
April 12th, 2011, 12:06 AM
Just wondering, how many CDs have been shipped before the end of shipit, and how many people have requested CDs?

The Ubuntu ShipIt site http://www.ubuntu.com/shipit just says millions.
After delivering millions of Ubuntu CDs to millions of new users, our ShipIt programme has finally run its course.

I never used it.

msquarme
April 15th, 2011, 10:17 PM
i am not clear why ubuntu shipit is closed. Any one who can tell me why it is closed?

lykwydchykyn
April 15th, 2011, 10:35 PM
I don't know for sure, but I'm going to take a wild guess that it has something to do with a combination of

- Canonical wanting to be profitable
- Ubuntu becoming more popular
- Ubuntu not really needing the promotional boost

msquarme
April 16th, 2011, 04:26 PM
Do you think ubuntu is known all over the world. people who use are those who have good understanding of commands but we they have to work hard till peoples becomes familiar with it

lykwydchykyn
April 16th, 2011, 07:29 PM
Do you think ubuntu is known all over the world. people who use are those who have good understanding of commands but we they have to work hard till peoples becomes familiar with it

Does it matter what I think?

Apparently it was no longer deemed a worthwhile expenditure. That's what matters.

wolfen69
April 16th, 2011, 07:42 PM
I agree. I spent years without internet as an Ubuntu user.

What does one do without internet? I can see if someone is a writer, but it's hard to imagine sitting in front of a computer for 8 hours without net access. Just wondering.

walt.smith1960
April 16th, 2011, 08:01 PM
If pirated MS Windows can be distributed, downloaded & burned Ubuntu disks can be as well. I presume that's part of the reasoning.

Lisimelis
April 16th, 2011, 08:12 PM
Really sad about Shipit...I will never forget when I halfheartedly applied for cd and could not believe my eyes when I got it the mail 10 days later....I still have the stickers it had inside...Maybe the should keep it for some countries in the African continent or anywhere else that Internet is not as common in everyday life.

lykwydchykyn
April 16th, 2011, 08:35 PM
What does one do without internet? I can see if someone is a writer, but it's hard to imagine sitting in front of a computer for 8 hours without net access. Just wondering.

I used to spend days on end making music on my computer before the internet. Maybe I should get rid of the internet, I could be a lot more productive.

NightwishFan
April 16th, 2011, 08:50 PM

Eh? First of all I am not a party to your imagination. Number two, there are plenty of things to do on a computer if it replaces your stereo, game system, television, writing, artwork, audio recording and arranging. And I still managed to not need to be on a computer 8hrs doing all of that. I prefer books.

sam-c
April 23rd, 2011, 03:29 PM
To go from ubuntu to xubuntu is very easy
sudo apt-get install xubuntu-desktop

I used Shipit to get A clean CD as a kind of Masterdisk.
Uncle Sam of chanasys :D

One could always get Ubuntu or Kubuntu CDs through ShipIt, but Xubuntu was not available through ShipIt. The Xubuntu folks had to make other arrangements with a different vendor!

No one has ever explained why Xubuntu was never available through ShipIt. But it's nice to know that even after ShipIt is done, we can still get Xubuntu CDs for free! It matters to those of us who are still stuck with dial-up, or those with limited-bandwidth use restrictions (like satellite internet).

A Xubuntu fanboy,
Robin