PDA

View Full Version : [kubuntu] Clock display changing from UTC to CDT and back

W5WMW
April 7th, 2011, 01:18 AM
In the clock display (Kubuntu 10.10 32-bit defaults at the lower right in the task bar) I have been having a problem. When I right click on the clock (is there a name for right-clicking when referring to both right and left handed people?) or sometimes when I just run my mouse over the clock, it changes from CDT to UTC. Doing it again reverses that. I'm speaking about the actual clock on the task bar, not the pop-up panel (tool tip?) that comes up when you roll your mouse over it.

I have both time zones selected so that I can see them in the pop-up info panel when I run the mouse over the clock for a second. But, normally, I just want the CST/CDT displayed always, in the task bar.

I've looked at all the options I could find and haven't found what I missed. It started up recently, so it was probably some setting I changed, but now can't find.

A minor problem, but annoying. Anyone? If the answer is already out there, link me up! Many thanks!

W5WMW
April 30th, 2011, 10:35 AM
I figured out what was happening. On modern laptops, the upper right and lower right of the touchpad are analogous to the scroll wheel (up and down) of a mouse. I must have been hitting those when I changed the clock because hitting those corners apparently changes the time zone, while the mouse pointer is on the clock.

FYI, anyone who is having a problem with this, see if you are hitting the corners of your touch pad or the scroll wheel on the mouse.

nymusicman
April 10th, 2012, 04:25 AM
Thank you so much, this was the only place I could find the answer. I knew it wasn't the computer because date in the commandline showed the correct time. I really appreciate this tip, which by the way is still valid for Ubuntu 12.04.

kio_http
April 10th, 2012, 07:03 AM
Just wondering but is there any specific reason to use Kubuntu 10.10 instead of the current 11.10 release?

nymusicman
April 10th, 2012, 04:04 PM
I haven't found a good reason, but there are people reporting that certain hardware broke in 11.10. They are waiting for 12.04 to fix it, don't know why they wouldn't be using 11.04 though.

Erik1984
April 10th, 2012, 08:40 PM
Just wondering but is there any specific reason to use Kubuntu 10.10 instead of the current 11.10 release?

This thread is more than a year old. At the start of April last year 10.10 was still the latest stable release. Time does fly :p