PDA

View Full Version : expanding the forums to be a social network like myspace and bebo

abs
May 8th, 2006, 04:15 PM
not quite like my space but you know what i mean, maybe it could connect to one of these online services, I think it would be great for building awarness of ubuntu.

please share your ideas, disagree if you wont, its a free place of expression ;)

--

Stormy Eyes
May 8th, 2006, 04:17 PM
If I wanted to be part of a social network, I would have signed up for one.

abs
May 8th, 2006, 05:15 PM
true,

maybe somethings should not be spoken off, ;)

mostwanted
May 8th, 2006, 06:13 PM
The Ubuntu Forums are primarily for support and testing. Only really the Café that fits that idea and there's a lot more to these boards than Ubuntu Café.

Kvark
May 8th, 2006, 06:14 PM
An Ubuntu-style MySpace-like site has already been done. Go take a look:
http://spaces.msn.com/

...sorry, I couldn't resist bringing up that old similarity when I saw this topic :P

mostwanted
May 8th, 2006, 06:16 PM

...sorry, I couldn't resist bringing up that old similarity when I saw this topic :P

Haha nice!

towsonu2003
May 8th, 2006, 06:17 PM
lol

PS. as long as we don't end up in dateline, I don't have any opposition.

ThirdWorld
May 8th, 2006, 06:58 PM
not quite like my space but you know what i mean, maybe it could connect to one of these online services, I think it would be great for building awarness of ubuntu.

please share your ideas, disagree if you wont, its a free place of expression ;)

--

Yours is a very interesting idea, and it will be really fun to expand the capabilities of linux to new territories. I proposed to conect F-spot and the kde Digikam to gaim and kopete and (gaim and kopete) to wordpress or blogger.com. Also, conect those programs to online services like flirk via your yahoo acount. The new version of f-spot can post pictures with flirk.

what do you think guys?

Kernel Sanders
May 8th, 2006, 08:57 PM
If I wanted to be part of a social network, I would have signed up for one.

^^^ What he said tbh.....

n3tfury
May 8th, 2006, 10:33 PM
keep that junk away from here. how about you open a myspace account, get as many "friends" as you can, all while pimping Ubuntu through your own space?

ThirdWorld
May 8th, 2006, 10:37 PM
keep that junk away from here. how about you open a myspace account, get as many "friends" as you can, all while pimping Ubuntu through your own space?

:confused: :confused: :confused: ??? what the hell is wrong with you people????

n3tfury
May 8th, 2006, 10:51 PM
you must be a myspace junkie.

ThirdWorld
May 8th, 2006, 11:01 PM
you must be a myspace junkie.

What are you talking about? we are triying to think about new ideas and conect existing linux applications to free online services so linux users can connect and meet online and interact, the point is to expand the capabilities of existing apps without too much tweaking. (inst cool that we can search for lirics and covers art in amarok?) Dude i dont have myspaces, but i think is a COOL feature of msn messenger... so grow up dude...

n3tfury
May 8th, 2006, 11:16 PM
listen thirdworld: what i'm saying is a social network not unlike myspace would be a catastrophe, imo. you sound like you're talking about online apps (ajax and such) for interaction between linux users which is completely different.

erikpiper
May 9th, 2006, 03:08 AM
NOOO! If you must, I have no opposition. But it would need to be SEPERATE from the forums!!!

BWF89
May 9th, 2006, 03:32 AM
I have a MySpace and it's not that great.

Forums > Social Networking

abs
May 9th, 2006, 10:03 AM
Hello all,

I am not to familiar with myspace to be honest, even though i have an account, but thought it would be interesting to give people the "option" if you would like to participation then your welcome too. if you don't then your free not to.

you can't dismiss ideas before they are discussed, no idea should be shut off straight up,

anyway, I agree with (ThirdWorld) having application integrate with on-line services like F-spot would be grate,

----

Stormy Eyes
May 9th, 2006, 01:51 PM
From what I've read of MySpace in this month's Playboy, it looks like a big waste of time. And the girls on MySpace aren't that attractive.

Kernel Sanders
May 9th, 2006, 02:27 PM
From what I've read of MySpace in this month's Playboy, it looks like a big waste of time. And the girls on MySpace aren't that attractive.

:mrgreen:

TeeAhr1
May 9th, 2006, 05:08 PM
Sweet Jesus no. Facebook's enough of a time sink already.

bonzodog
May 9th, 2006, 05:33 PM
MySpace is a kiddies hang-out, as is bebo..I am way to old for C**p like that. I for one would like to see Myspace shut down, as I don't believe it is any good. As for someone mentioning it being a feature of MSN messenger? on linux??? ok.......

abs
May 10th, 2006, 10:53 AM
i like bebo, i think these services could be taken with a pinch of salt, ;)

its something to do. maybe not for all.

Buffalo Soldier
May 10th, 2006, 12:04 PM

...sorry, I couldn't resist bringing up that old similarity when I saw this topic :PI wonder how Microsoft/MSN would react if the largest community in MSN turns out to be GNU/Linux users. And those users/community happens to be a very active in spreading the FOSS love in MSN Spaces.

abs
May 10th, 2006, 02:19 PM
I wonder how Microsoft/MSN would react if the largest community in MSN turns out to be GNU/Linux users. And those users/community happens to be a very active in spreading the FOSS love in MSN Spaces.
haahah...

true, i was thinking that, I thought it was funny to have it under MSN,

ubuntu_demon
May 10th, 2006, 02:39 PM
I wonder how Microsoft/MSN would react if the largest community in MSN turns out to be GNU/Linux users. And those users/community happens to be a very active in spreading the FOSS love in MSN Spaces.
LOL :-D

RavenOfOdin
May 10th, 2006, 05:24 PM
Oh yes. . .MySpace. . .The site that doesn't honor its own rules in deciding which blogs to keep, and which to delete.

Just as long as you keep your "contribution" to material which falls in lock step with the administrators' own feelings you're OK. ;)

I could think of better things to waste my time on, namely, putting my mouth up to the exhaust pipe of a running car.

Stormy Eyes
May 10th, 2006, 06:51 PM
Just as long as you keep your "contribution" to material which falls in lock step with the administrators' own feelings you're OK. ;)

I don't see anything wrong with this. If I ran a forum, and I disliked what a guest was posting on my forum, I'd delete it and ban his ***. Why? Because it's my forum. The 1st Amendment only applies to the government.

RavenOfOdin
May 10th, 2006, 07:12 PM
I don't see anything wrong with this. If I ran a forum, and I disliked what a guest was posting on my forum, I'd delete it and ban his ***. Why? Because it's my forum. The 1st Amendment only applies to the government.

But if you administer a forum, would you not also honor your own rules? This applies more so if they are clearly posted on the forum, as many are - even on this one.

Saying that one thing which violates rules can stay, and that one gets the hammer dropped, isn't that a little hypocritical?

PS: Is what you meant to say "The First Amendment does not apply to the Internet"?