PDA

View Full Version : Who likes the Elder Scrolls games.

cblnchat
April 6th, 2011, 08:36 PM
Who likes the elder scrolls games, and which ones?
My personal favorite is Oblivion, the first sandbox rpg i ever played. And my next one would probably be Morrowind. Im guessing thats what most everyones is gonna be :lolflag:
But if you dont like the elder scrolls games could you explain why, same for ppl that like the games.

Thanks

Artificial Intelligence
April 6th, 2011, 08:39 PM
Still thinks Daggerfall is the best one.

cblnchat
April 6th, 2011, 08:42 PM
Still thinks Daggerfall is the best one.
:lolflag:
The first person to post is someone who liked a different one than the two i thot.
But i STILL havent played Daggerfall! I really want to! I just never got to it when my netbook still had XP on it. Is there anyway to run it in Ubuntu?

Artificial Intelligence
April 6th, 2011, 08:47 PM
Dosbox: http://www.dosbox.com/comp_list.php?showID=3205&letter=D

or my favorite: Dosbox Game Launcher: http://members.quicknet.nl/blankendaalr/dbgl/

Free Legal download of Daggerfall: http://bethblog.com/index.php/2009/07/09/daggerfall-now-available-for-free/

Shibblet
April 6th, 2011, 09:17 PM
Who likes the elder scrolls games, and which ones?
My personal favorite is Oblivion, the first sandbox rpg i ever played. And my next one would probably be Morrowind. Im guessing thats what most everyones is gonna be :lolflag:
But if you dont like the elder scrolls games could you explain why, same for ppl that like the games.

Thanks

Love Oblivion... just need to figure out how to make it run on Ubuntu.

Artificial Intelligence
April 6th, 2011, 09:20 PM
Oblivion works fine with CrossOver Games: http://www.codeweavers.com/compatibility/browse/name/?app_id=2407 though it's not free (as in beer).

My Oblivion Guide on Linux: http://ubuntuevolution.wordpress.com/2011/02/26/the-elder-scrolls-iv-oblivion-with-crossover-games/

Spice Weasel
April 6th, 2011, 09:36 PM
Morrowind is the best game ever. :)

NovaAesa
April 6th, 2011, 10:06 PM
Morrowind!

NightwishFan
April 6th, 2011, 10:15 PM
I am partial to Morrowind. Oblivion is a nice game but not of the same type as its predecessors.

Morrowind had more distinct regions and storylines. It had way more factions and a lot more benefit (and challenge) to leveling up in a faction. More interesting gear. Not to mention it rarely holds your hand (perhaps oblivions one huge flaw is how easy it is). It just felt more like a real game and less an interactive film.

wizard10000
April 6th, 2011, 10:53 PM
I spent probably four hours playing Oblivion today :D

edit: I quit playing the storyline and started exploring the sandbox pretty close to two years ago. I'd have to disagree on the interactive film thing - in that respect I think it's a lot like Linux; easy if you want it to be and challenging as hell if you'd like to have it that way.

zer010
April 6th, 2011, 11:24 PM
I have Oblivion and I used to spend a good bit of time playing it, but after a while....I guess it just started losing it's charm. Of course, if you're not playing on some high-end, alien-tech inspired hardware, it just doesn't have the attraction that it could, IMO.
So after going a couple months without booting up XP, I just decided to format that hard-drive and use it for other things, like checking out this Fedora install that I'm using now.
I'd love to be able to get it to work under WINE, but as the specs in my sig shows, it doesn't play well by itself and I was using the AWESOME patch, Oldblivion. If getting Oblivion to run under WINE isn't hard enough, it's near impossible to get it running with Oldblivion.

@A.I., Thanks for that link for Daggerfall. I just might check that one out and I'm pretty sure that a friend of mine will surely appreciate it.

3Miro
April 6th, 2011, 11:55 PM
I have spend countless hours in Oblivion. The leveling mechanics are totally messed up, but thanks to a few choice mods, this is a really awesome game.

I have been able to run it under wine for quite some time. It played nice on both GeForce 8600GT and GTX260 (Nvidia of course). If anyone needs help getting it setup, let me know.

Dustin2128
April 7th, 2011, 02:34 AM
Morrowind has got to be one of the best games I've ever played. I like oblivion, but there's one thing I absolutely hate: essential characters. In morrowind, kill who you like, face the consequences of your actions. I can understand some essential characters, but they just did it so.. wantonly in oblivion. It seems like every other character is essential. Now I just need to figure why morrowind is running at half the framerate of oblivion with my 9600GT... Can't wait for skyrim though, November 11!

Simian Man
April 7th, 2011, 02:50 AM
I generally agree that Morrowind is better...except for the lack of voice acting. After playing Oblivion for a while, and going back to Morrowind, having to read everything really seems to break the immersion for me. Both are awesome though!

handy
April 7th, 2011, 07:06 AM
I've spent a lot of time in Oblivion. It used to work via Cedega on Linux.

I ended up getting a cheap 2nd hand copy to play on a PS3. You don't have the ability to install all the add-ons, but that's ok. I just get my merchant ability max'ed out as soon as possible & just handle all of the bugs in the game.

I found Morrowind to be good but travelling was so slow in comparison to Oblivion, & as previously mentioned the voices really help Oblivion.

wizard10000
April 7th, 2011, 09:02 AM
I ended up getting a cheap 2nd hand copy to play on a PS3. You don't have the ability to install all the add-ons, but that's ok. I just get my merchant ability max'ed out as soon as possible & just handle all of the bugs in the game.

Check out the scroll duplication "bug". No reason to max out merchant if you can make as many copies you want of pretty much anything you have and then use or sell them ;)

barbedsaber
April 7th, 2011, 09:07 AM
fallout 3

hey, it's pretty much oblivion...

NightwishFan
April 7th, 2011, 09:22 AM
Anyone looking forward to the next one? (Skyrim?)

medic2000
April 7th, 2011, 11:27 AM
I never played Oblivion. But Morrowind is a great game with very good expansions: The Tribunal and Bloodmoon.

handy
April 7th, 2011, 12:09 PM
Check out the scroll duplication "bug". No reason to max out merchant if you can make as many copies you want of pretty much anything you have and then use or sell them ;)

The game of the year version that I'm running has patches installed that killed that bug (feature) in the game. :)

handy
April 7th, 2011, 12:12 PM
fallout 3

I've got that on the PS3 also. I find it to be mostly really ugly. Oblivion has so much to see that is pleasing to the eye.

I obtained a cheap 2nd hand copy of Fallout New Vegas. I haven't got around to looking at it yet. My son recommended it to me, he said it is superior to Fallout 3, in many ways. I don't know from experience yet.

handy
April 7th, 2011, 12:13 PM

Definitely! I can't wait.

aG93IGRvIGkgdWJ1bnR1Pw==
April 7th, 2011, 02:09 PM
Looking at some of the screenshots of Oblivion and Skyrim, I can say I'd really love to see nethack or another Free rougelike done in that kind of graphics. It's a shame Free Software users just don't have that kind of quality available.

NMFTM
April 7th, 2011, 04:04 PM
The leveling mechanics are totally messed up
Like ranged characters are severely nerfed. Can be fixed with mods, but I have the PS3 version and unfortunately, PS3 save files can't be converted to work on the Windows version.

Morrowind has got to be one of the best games I've ever played.
I only played Morrowind for an hour, but could tell from that, that it was a lot deeper than Oblivion. Except the combat system felt really wonky, which made me not continue.

I ended up getting a cheap 2nd hand copy to play on a PS3. You don't have the ability to install all the add-ons, but that's ok.
I had uesp.net open for every mission later on in the game. Not because I needed a ton of help with them. But because there were so many bugs that I didn't want to risk messing something up that would effect my ability to complete a mission or possibly major parts of the game as a consequence.

I obtained a cheap 2nd hand copy of Fallout New Vegas. I haven't got around to looking at it yet. My son recommended it to me, he said it is superior to Fallout 3, in many ways. I don't know from experience yet.
I've never played Fallout 3. But from the 30 or so hours I played of New Vegas, it's pretty much Oblivion with guns and set in the desert.

Artificial Intelligence
April 7th, 2011, 05:08 PM
Got the urge to play Daggerfall again :)

http://s3.postimage.org/pc2runoq8/Daggerfall_pre.png (http://postimage.org/image/z7647tj8/)

NightwishFan
April 7th, 2011, 05:21 PM
Aw no.. Morrowind will not work in the Debian version of Wine. :(

Spice Weasel
April 7th, 2011, 05:43 PM

Try installing it using Play On Linux (http://www.playonlinux.com/en/). It does all the little fixes required to play the game. Morrowind doesn't run on Fedora's vanilla WINE at all, but it works fine on POL.

NightwishFan
April 7th, 2011, 06:16 PM
Try installing it using Play On Linux (http://www.playonlinux.com/en/). It does all the little fixes required to play the game. Morrowind doesn't run on Fedora's vanilla WINE at all, but it works fine on POL.

Thanks Spice Weasel! I think I will try that. :)

cblnchat
April 11th, 2011, 10:53 PM
Dosbox: http://www.dosbox.com/comp_list.php?showID=3205&letter=D

or my favorite: Dosbox Game Launcher: http://members.quicknet.nl/blankendaalr/dbgl/

Free Legal download of Daggerfall: http://bethblog.com/index.php/2009/07/09/daggerfall-now-available-for-free/

Thanks for those links. But how do i work the stuff i downloaded? Thru Wine?
If it is could you help me, i have no idea to work Wine and it doesnt work for me. Ill right click on it and make it run thru Wine Program Loader but nothing happens. And i do have the option for running as an executiable selected.

Dustin2128
April 12th, 2011, 12:22 AM
I'm practically crying right now. I can't get my morrowind fix at 5 frames per second- ON A 9600GT!! Thing's got half the ram and 64 times more processor cores than an old windows computer that plays it 6 times faster.

Giraffemonster
April 12th, 2011, 12:27 AM
If it is could you help me, i have no idea to work Wine and it doesnt work for me. Ill right click on it and make it run thru Wine Program Loader but nothing happens. And i do have the option for running as an executiable selected.

I'm going to guess that it depends on what sort of game. The last tie I tried (Morrowind), all I had to do was run the Setup.exe files in the Main directory, the Tribunal directory, and the Bloodmoon directory. That worked for me. Maybe someone else can give you a more detailed answer though.

And relating to the OP, I do like the Elder Scrolls series. I like the Elder Scrolls as a whole (As in, including the literature, story, characters, lore, etc). A good place to read up on it is the Unofficial Elder Scrolls Pages.
http://www.uesp.net/

I've played Morrowind and Oblivion. They were really good. Unfortunately, I don't even have a Windows disc to dual boot, and Morrowind doesn't work well on Wine. My fps was constantly below 10 when playing it. I tried installing Morrowind twice.

I might try that. Hopefully it will work if I do. Now I would try to play Oblivion to see if it's more compatible, but I've accumulated over 100 hours on that game.

tjwoosta
April 12th, 2011, 02:01 AM
The game of the year version that I'm running has patches installed that killed that bug (feature) in the game. :)

I have the goty edition on xbox 360 with all of the add-ons and official updates. Its still possible to duplicate, but you have to do it the scroll way.

Requires two or more copies of the same scroll

1. open up the items list on the main tab (the one that lists all of the items in one big list)

2. scroll down to the scrolls section and select a scroll that has at least one duplicate.

3. Without closing the items list or changing tabs scroll back up to the item you want to duplicate and drop it. It should drop as many copies of the item as there were duplicates of the scroll that you selected

Say for example you have 10 "minor dispel other" scrolls and one "stong potion of healing"

First you select a different spell/scroll other then the one you will be using for the duplication, for example "weak fireball". Now you open the items list and select one of the "minor dispel other" scolls. Then without changing tabs or closing the list scroll up and drop the healing potion. It will actually drop 10 healing potions instead of just the one.

That said I dont find a need for doing this at all. When I was playing an archer character I used it to duplicate a bunch of enchanted arrows, since theyre hard to find and you cant buy them in a shop, but thats about it. Ive also never trained my merchantile skill. When you first start off money can be tight, but when you get to higher levels it comes easy.

Right now Im playing a level 30 mage character that has over $50,000 in his pocket and owns 3 houses. Never duplicated anything, merchantile is only 30, and I dont collect loot unless Im going to use it. I just buy/collect lots of ingredients and make potions which I sell at the mages guilds. Really the only use I have for money in oblivion is buying houses, horses, spells, or custom enchantments. everything else I just find in random loot. I did buy Apotheosis from the staff shop in imperial city though.

NightwishFan
April 12th, 2011, 02:03 AM

Everything you said in that whole post brings me back. :D

Cam!
April 12th, 2011, 02:34 AM
The Elder Scrolls is one of my favorite game series' of all time. I absolutely loved Morrowind. I can't say I liked Oblivion as much, but still, it was a classic. I can't wait for Skyrim! Minecraft gets released on the same day, too, so I guess I'll be busy!

kk0sse54
April 12th, 2011, 05:27 AM
Oblivion was great and was probably among one of the only computer games I've ever played. Never tried Morrowind cause I just couldn't get past the graphics but after having found Morroblivion I've been itching to play it.

Artificial Intelligence
April 12th, 2011, 05:39 AM

Nope, run Daggerfall through Dosbox or DBGL (requires java). Insight Daggerfall there's an instruction on how to run it with Dosbox.

sonowilson
April 12th, 2011, 05:54 AM
I think maybe I have played Morrowind more than any other game ever. If I had to guess, I'd say I've put about 200 hours into it.

MasterNetra
April 12th, 2011, 03:58 PM
I love morrowind, like oblivion but even in xp its hard on my system. Of course I only have like 1GB of ram and a 256MB intel graphics card...Gotta update one of these years...

At any rate, I hope open morrowind will be fully playable soon... So we can play morrowind natively.

Ctrl-Alt-F1
April 12th, 2011, 04:21 PM
Morrowind.

About Oblivion:
I didn't like that (most) cities weren't open. For example, regardless of the fact that cities had walls in Oblivion, I would have liked to have been able to levitate over them. Ah...that reminds me, I miss levitation. Also, omniscient guards and the fact that treasure was randomly generated and there were fewer unique items made it less enticing. Also I didn't like that quest characters couldn't die. In Morrowind if I wanted to kill Vivec, I could kill Vivec, it would just unravel the story.

cblnchat
April 12th, 2011, 05:50 PM
Oblivion was great and was probably among one of the only computer games I've ever played. Never tried Morrowind cause I just couldn't get past the graphics but after having found Morroblivion I've been itching to play it.
I had a hard time with Morrowind for the same reason, and the fact that there is no voice acting! And another thing that really put me off is the fact that spells have a percentage chance to fail! I never play a mage, or even a mage type character, so my spells never work!
Ive always played a marksman type character, and i love it. :lolflag:

I think maybe I have played Morrowind more than any other game ever. If I had to guess, I'd say I've put about 200 hours into it.

Id say thats how much i put into Oblivion, maybe more. And ive put many hours into trying Morrowind, but i just had a hard time getting into it. I think its cause i had no idea what to do or where anything was, the only way to get places is to run. The first time i played Morrowind i spent 3 hours running the wrong way to get to the place you have to go after Seyda Neen (sorry memories failing me right now). And it was only when i checked the wiki that i figured out how stuff works and where to go.

cblnchat
April 12th, 2011, 05:56 PM
Im now downloading PlayOnLinux, id like to give that a shot. But will Morrowind run on a netbook, i use it as my main computer. I didnt have any real problems with it in XP but this is Ubuntu lol.

cblnchat
April 12th, 2011, 06:15 PM
I just downloaded PlayOnLinux and i got an error the whole time while setting it up. It doesnt seem to do anything but ive downloaded Morrowind and it wont run. Im not sure whats wrong. I got a screenshot of the error.

Thanks

3Miro
April 12th, 2011, 07:30 PM
Install mesa-utils from Synaptic Package Manager or

sudo apt-get install mesa-utils

The script needs "glxinfo" to check if you have 3D rendering properly setup.

cprofitt
April 12th, 2011, 07:47 PM
still thinks daggerfall is the best one.

+1

qft

cblnchat
April 12th, 2011, 07:51 PM

Yea Skyrim, and i cant wait for it! Ever since my xbox died, ive been dieing for oblivion! My xbox has been dead for 2yrs! :(
But i cant wait for Skyrim, its gonna be pretty great!

cblnchat
April 12th, 2011, 08:07 PM
Install mesa-utils from Synaptic Package Manager or

sudo apt-get install mesa-utilsThe script needs "glxinfo" to check if you have 3D rendering properly setup.

Ok i did that, and now the error isnt popping up, but Morrowind still wont run, or do anything at all.

And what should i do with glxinfo. I dont know how to read the info that popped up when i put it into terminal.

Dustin2128
April 12th, 2011, 11:08 PM
Yea Skyrim, and i cant wait for it! Ever since my xbox died, ive been dieing for oblivion! My xbox has been dead for 2yrs! :(
But i cant wait for Skyrim, its gonna be pretty great!
Play it on your computer if it's got decent specs, runs fine on linux (better performance than morrowind, actually).

NightwishFan
April 13th, 2011, 02:20 AM
To be honest that was what made Morrowind great. Instead of following the same vanilla storyline I could do what I wanted more. I think there is 10 more factions in Morrowind than Oblivion. Walking everywhere is a bit harsh especially with fatigue and cliff racers, but the locations seem more varied. There also is many more interesting dungeons. (Not everywhere you go has to have some sort of quest involved or a cookie cutter layout). Granted though the world map on Oblivion was amazing.

As for combat and spells, it was more difficult on Morrowind, thus more customizable and more powerful in the end. Oblivion is a bit more fun (especially alchemy and archery) however the battles end up being hit trading slugfests at high levels unless you turn the difficulty down.

I like both, Oblivion took away a lot of what made the series work but made it look awesome. (and in this case, they did well, it wasn't just another pretty face). I think Skyrim will be the only game I look forward to.

Ctrl-Alt-F1
April 13th, 2011, 04:32 AM
Also, Daedric armor in Morrowind was something that was to be prized and collected. In Oblivion random thug #354 wears it 90% of the time at high levels.

Having thoroughly bashed Oblivion, I would now like to say some things that I liked about it. The map was gorgeous, and some of the quests were just supremely well done. The thief guild final quest comes to mind and I don't even like playing a thief.

slackthumbz
April 13th, 2011, 10:08 AM
I now have the urge to get Oblivion out and play it again. Curse you guys! ;)

cblnchat
April 20th, 2011, 12:49 AM
Also, Daedric armor in Morrowind was something that was to be prized and collected. In Oblivion random thug #354 wears it 90% of the time at high levels.

Having thoroughly bashed Oblivion, I would now like to say some things that I liked about it. The map was gorgeous, and some of the quests were just supremely well done. The thief guild final quest comes to mind and I don't even like playing a thief.

Honestly i didnt like the Theif guild at all. It just didnt work with me. Especially the quests.

Dustin2128
April 20th, 2011, 02:22 AM
Morrowind.

About Oblivion:
I didn't like that (most) cities weren't open. For example, regardless of the fact that cities had walls in Oblivion, I would have liked to have been able to levitate over them. Ah...that reminds me, I miss levitation. Also, omniscient guards and the fact that treasure was randomly generated and there were fewer unique items made it less enticing. Also I didn't like that quest characters couldn't die. In Morrowind if I wanted to kill Vivec, I could kill Vivec, it would just unravel the story.
By the way, spoiler, you can actually kill vivec and still win the game. What you do is take the dwemer artifact he drops to Yagrum Bagarn (last living dwarf), and he rigs it to work as the wraithguard.

Ctrl-Alt-F1
April 20th, 2011, 04:32 AM
@Dustin,

That's cool. It's been so long since I've played it that I don't remember all the details. I played the snot out of that game back in the day though. It used to, probably still does, have one of the most thriving mod communities I've ever seen.

Sslaxx
April 20th, 2011, 09:23 PM
Any coders among you lot? The OpenMW project (http://openmw.com/) could always do with more - cross-platform Morrowind!

Never even
April 20th, 2011, 09:31 PM
Only played Oblivion. Enjoyed it, but I don't think I'd play it through again. Some elements of it just became infuriating for me, and there's always something else waiting to be played.

TheCompBoy
April 20th, 2011, 09:32 PM
Morrowind still in first place :P

cblnchat
April 20th, 2011, 10:21 PM
Only played Oblivion. Enjoyed it, but I don't think I'd play it through again. Some elements of it just became infuriating for me, and there's always something else waiting to be played.

What element of it became infuriating for you?
I admit after a certain amount of time played i got a bit bored with it too, but i always enjoyed it.

Dustin2128
April 20th, 2011, 11:21 PM
Hm, anyone know if there's some oblivion gameplay mods to make it more like morrowind? E.g. random dude 834 isn't immortal, random dude 779 doesn't have full daedric gear, random guard 447 isn't omniscient, random merchant 334 doesn't automatically know which goods are stolen and which aren't, etc.

NightwishFan
April 20th, 2011, 11:27 PM
Hm, anyone know if there's some oblivion gameplay mods to make it more like morrowind? E.g. random dude 834 isn't immortal, random dude 779 doesn't have full daedric gear, random guard 447 isn't omniscient, random merchant 334 doesn't automatically know which goods are stolen and which aren't, etc.

Oblivion: One step forward and two steps back. :( *sorry I do not know any mods though

Dustin2128
April 20th, 2011, 11:48 PM
Oblivion: One step forward and two steps back. :( *sorry I do not know any mods though
If there aren't there's definitely a "market" for them. I feel like if some random guard deeply insults me in a back alley, I should be able to kill him and not get a bounty if nobody else watches. Instead, he's knocked unconscious because he's essential to some side quest that's not even necessary to complete, and I get full murder bounty. Don't even get me started about the times where I've knocked friendly npcs "unconscious" by them wandering in front of the barrage of electricity, flame and frost constantly pouring out of my breton hands and incurred the full bounty for murder. Oh wait, I just did :P

cblnchat
April 20th, 2011, 11:53 PM

That always annoyed me when merchants always know when you stole something, and guards always know where you are!
But i liked that key characters werent able to be killed, cause in morrowind if you killed someone that you didnt know was a key character for the main or some quest you just wont be able to do that quest anymore...or if it was for the main one you wouldnt be able to complete the game.

Why didnt you like the fact that, at a certain level, ppl carry deadric gear? I really liked that everything was leveled.

Dustin2128
April 20th, 2011, 11:57 PM
That always annoyed me when merchants always know when you stole something, and guards always know where you are!
But i liked that key characters werent able to be killed, cause in morrowind if you killed someone that you didnt know was a key character for the main or some quest you just wont be able to do that quest anymore...or if it was for the main one you wouldnt be able to complete the game.

Why didnt you like the fact that, at a certain level, ppl carry deadric gear? I really liked that everything was leveled.
Well if you quicksave and autosave, killing essential characters isn't that big a problem anymore, no? As for the daedric- like someone said before, it's supposed to be coveted, not mass produced. And I also hate leveled gear and mobs since it feels like you're never becoming more powerful, and it also feels like you need to grind like in an MMO which is NOT what I want to do in a single player crpg.

3Miro
April 20th, 2011, 11:58 PM

Yeah, this is the weak spot of Oblivion. Graphics is great and the world is just amazingly alive, it really makes you want to live there. However, the gameplay needs some serious modding before you get a reasonable leveling scheme or enemies or magic or anything related to the math behind the curtains.

NightwishFan
April 21st, 2011, 12:04 AM
Well if you quicksave and autosave, killing essential characters isn't that big a problem anymore, no? As for the daedric- like someone said before, it's supposed to be coveted, not mass produced. And I also hate leveled gear and mobs since it feels like you're never becoming more powerful, and it also feels like you need to grind like in an MMO which is NOT what I want to do in a single player crpg.

I quite agree. In Morrowind you have to overcome great trials (robbing the vaults of the great houses, battling your way through daedra lords and etc) to find ebony and daedric gear. In Oblivion the enemies have it a dime a dozen.

The enemies leveling means they are always a challenge but it tends to get overwhelming at high levels. You can only get so destructive with a single skill and the enemies can continue to get stronger as you level others.

cblnchat
April 21st, 2011, 12:23 AM
Im not much of an MMO player so im not sure what you mean.
But i enjoyed the leveled gear and npc's cause when you get to a high level and theres no leveling of creatures or ppl you just cant get any higher in level very easily. And i never thot about quicksaves, i never got my self to do them. And i used to find autosaves annoying because it fills the save page with them.

Dustin2128
April 21st, 2011, 01:33 AM
Im not much of an MMO player so im not sure what you mean.
But i enjoyed the leveled gear and npc's cause when you get to a high level and theres no leveling of creatures or ppl you just cant get any higher in level very easily. And i never thot about quicksaves, i never got my self to do them. And i used to find autosaves annoying because it fills the save page with them.
In MMOs, most of the time you have to kill thousands or hundreds of thousands of monsters for weeks on end to get to a level where you can actually compete with the rest of the players and experience endgame content. Everyone hates it.

Artificial Intelligence
April 21st, 2011, 01:37 AM
In MMOs, most of the time you have to kill thousands or hundreds of thousands of monsters for weeks on end to get to a level where you can actually compete with the rest of the players and experience endgame content. Everyone hates it.

One of the reason I don't play MMO anymore. Too time consuming when you also have RL to attend too.

cblnchat
April 21st, 2011, 03:50 AM
That does sound really crappy. Thats one reason why i never got into Runescape. Im level one and everyone else is level 90 or something :lolflag:
But, maybe its cause ive never really played those kinda games, but ive never noticed that in Oblivion. What do you mean by endgame content tho?

3Miro
April 21st, 2011, 04:22 AM
But, maybe its cause ive never really played those kinda games, but ive never noticed that in Oblivion. What do you mean by endgame content tho?

Final missions, highest gear and such. Oblivion is specifically designed so that you can get pretty much any quest at any level, only the deadric ones has some restrictions. The enemies that you meet always match your level and it is possible to finish the Oblivion main quest (and most of the other quests) at level 1.

This does cause some balance issues, like some quests are ridiculously easy at some levels and next to impossible at others. There was also the case that once you reach high levels all the common thugs on the roads caring the highest gear and weapons. Originally on the roads, you can meet a thug or two and possibly a few wolfs, at high levels you get Minotaurs all over the place. Also, regular people eventually level up to be tougher than the bosses at low levels.

This is not my main issue with Oblivion. I am amazed at how much effort they had put on working out details of different dungeons and different corners of the map, however, they had put no though at some of the basic mechanics. To increase your Merchant skill, you have to get a stack of arrows and sell them one at a time: click on arrow, drag the counter to 1, sell arrow, confirm sell arrow .... and this gives more experience than selling couple of high level armor suits (or even all arrows at once). If you wanted to become a better swords fighter, you get the weakest dagger you can find and try to stab some crab many times, and this gives you more experience than killing bosses with a gigantic sword. Yet another one, a maxed out 100 Altmer (high-eld spell casters) can have double the health points of a maxed out Orc (fighter) if the Orc did't max out just the right way ... and there are many others. Luckily you can fix most of that with a few choice mods.

cblnchat
April 21st, 2011, 10:29 PM
Final missions, highest gear and such. Oblivion is specifically designed so that you can get pretty much any quest at any level, only the deadric ones has some restrictions. The enemies that you meet always match your level and it is possible to finish the Oblivion main quest (and most of the other quests) at level 1.

This does cause some balance issues, like some quests are ridiculously easy at some levels and next to impossible at others. There was also the case that once you reach high levels all the common thugs on the roads caring the highest gear and weapons. Originally on the roads, you can meet a thug or two and possibly a few wolfs, at high levels you get Minotaurs all over the place. Also, regular people eventually level up to be tougher than the bosses at low levels.

This is not my main issue with Oblivion. I am amazed at how much effort they had put on working out details of different dungeons and different corners of the map, however, they had put no though at some of the basic mechanics. To increase your Merchant skill, you have to get a stack of arrows and sell them one at a time: click on arrow, drag the counter to 1, sell arrow, confirm sell arrow .... and this gives more experience than selling couple of high level armor suits (or even all arrows at once). If you wanted to become a better swords fighter, you get the weakest dagger you can find and try to stab some crab many times, and this gives you more experience than killing bosses with a gigantic sword. Yet another one, a maxed out 100 Altmer (high-eld spell casters) can have double the health points of a maxed out Orc (fighter) if the Orc did't max out just the right way ... and there are many others. Luckily you can fix most of that with a few choice mods.

You make some good points. But was that stuff different in Morrowind? Or in any other game like it? Ive only played Oblivion and a bit of Morrowind so im not sure if thats the norm. But i didnt know about the arrows one...i always play an assassin type character so i always need all my arrows.

But after a few play thrus i did find out that some quests are nearly impossible in later levels, especially with the character type that i use.

And modding is something i want to get into once i get a computer good enough to play Oblivion. Ive only played Morrowind on the computer and i couldnt figure out how to use the construction map thing lol.
How do mods work in Oblivion? Is it something you have to do against the rules? Or is there a program you use like in Morrowind?

On a side note, when you played Oblivion (or Morrowind) what type of character did you use?

Throne777
April 21st, 2011, 10:32 PM

Agreed for the most part, though the Cataclysm update for WoW dramatically addressed this. Getting from level 1 to 30 (all I've done thus far) was much more fun since Cataclysm.

Shmantiv_Radio
April 21st, 2011, 11:24 PM
<3 Oblivion.

Morrowind bored me to death tbh :3

I'm much more of a JRPG fan.

cblnchat
April 21st, 2011, 11:59 PM
<3 Oblivion.

Morrowind bored me to death tbh :3

I'm much more of a JRPG fan.

I <3 oblivion too.
I was very bored of Morrowind too, but after i gave it a chance it became a bit more fun, still the lack of fast traveling or anything like horses or anything like that became very annoying.

Whats a JRPG?

And what type of character did you play in Oblivion?

Shmantiv_Radio
April 22nd, 2011, 12:05 AM
I <3 oblivion too.
I was very bored of Morrowind too, but after i gave it a chance it became a bit more fun, still the lack of fast traveling or anything like horses or anything like that became very annoying.

Whats a JRPG?

And what type of character did you play in Oblivion?

JRPG = Japanese RPG, like Final Fantasy.

I always played as a Nord.

3Miro
April 22nd, 2011, 12:09 AM
You make some good points. But was that stuff different in Morrowind? Or in any other game like it? Ive only played Oblivion and a bit of Morrowind so im not sure if thats the norm. But i didnt know about the arrows one...i always play an assassin type character so i always need all my arrows.

But after a few play thrus i did find out that some quests are nearly impossible in later levels, especially with the character type that i use.

And modding is something i want to get into once i get a computer good enough to play Oblivion. Ive only played Morrowind on the computer and i couldnt figure out how to use the construction map thing lol.
How do mods work in Oblivion? Is it something you have to do against the rules? Or is there a program you use like in Morrowind?

On a side note, when you played Oblivion (or Morrowind) what type of character did you use?

I am not sure what you mean by "games like that". I have not played any MMOs so I cannot really compare and contrast, but from the single player RPG games I have payed Might and Magic 6/7/8, Diablo I/II, Rage of Mages 2, Dragon Age: Origins. Also note that I have not played Morrowind. Out of those that I have played, Oblivion has outstandingly bad game mechanics, not that the others were perfect, just that Oblivion stinks really badly. The biggest contrast to Oblivion is Diablo II, while in Diablo you have a completely linear story, interaction with NPC characters consists of listening to monologues and the entire game is going around killing stuff, Diablo has a very thought through leveling scheme. There is a lot of very interesting and very deep math. You get rewarded for doing what is fun.

The arrows in Oblivion are an example of bad merchant mechanics and this is independent of the type of character that you have. For example, three characters find 100 arrows and a sword. The arrows are a gold piece each, the bow and the sword are 200 gold each. Then you get three scenarios:
PlayerA: keeps the arrows, sells the sword (assume he already has a bow for the arrows)
PlayerB: keeps the sword and sells all the arrows in one transaction with a nearby merchant
PlayerC: keeps the sword, but spends 5 minutes clicking like crazy selling all the arrows one at a time (this is about 300 mouse point-and-clicks).
The question is, who got the biggest boost to their Merchant skill?
PlayerA sold the most expensive item, however, he got just as much experience as PlayeB, who sold a much cheaper item. Yet, both of them got 100 times less experience than PlayerC, who was rewarded for spending 5 minutes doing something absolutely boring.

I started with a mage character, but since spells are not that powerful, I go for a battle mage (sword/spells) combination. In Oblivion, you get some nice bonuses for sneaking and hitting your enemies from afar using stealth, I cannot be sure, but I think it is doable.

I do a lot of modding for Civilization IV, but I have not done anything in Oblivion. Overall Oblivion is somewhat rigid, but there are plenty of modding tools out there. You can edit the data files fairly easily (just create a new datafile that is loaded on game start and it replaces the old data), so you can change gear stars and such fairly easily. There is also OBSE (Oblivion Script Extension), which is a wrapper for Oblivion and it lets you write your own in-game scripts. This lets you change the leveling mechanics and such. There are also hundreds of visual mods, giving new unique gear and such, but I have no skills in 3D modeling.

NightwishFan
April 22nd, 2011, 01:24 AM
My Character: Breton Spellsword - Bretons can be surprisingly hardy and manage to have more magicka than other more combative races. :) I tend to be more of an 'adventurer' jack of all trades. I trade off having mastery of all spell types to have mercantile/alchemy. Usually use swords or mace with a shield and medium (light on oblivion) armor.

Edit: Yes, in Elder Scrolls players tend to spend hours and hours "power leveling their characters". It is possible to get 100 sneak and 100 alchemy in a single day.

tjwoosta
April 22nd, 2011, 05:45 AM
I started with a mage character, but since spells are not that powerful, I go for a battle mage (sword/spells) combination. In Oblivion, you get some nice bonuses for sneaking and hitting your enemies from afar using stealth, I cannot be sure, but I think it is doable.

Spells not that powerful? Ive played through a couple times with pure mage characters and Id have to disagree. Spells are the most powerful attacks in the game, especially custom spells with multiple elemental damage effects and a short duration.

This one here deals 150 points of damage in 2 seconds and I can cast it 7 times in a row without waiting for magick to recharge, but even then it only takes about 30 seconds to fully recharge.

(Elemental Fusion)
25 points fire damage for 2 sec on target
25 points frost damage for 2 sec on target
25 points shock damage for 2 sec on target

Can also use a primer spell that weakens enemies before the attack spell. And if you add a short command effect enemies will be confused afterward and wont know who to attack ;) (short duration on the command effect because its costly and even after it wears off the enemies remain confused for a while and wont know who to attack anyway)

(Confusion)
weakness to poison 100% for 5 sec on target
weakness to fire 100% for 5 sec on target
weakness to frost 100% for 5 sec on target
weakness to shock 100% for 5 sec on target
weakness to magic 100% for 5 sec on target
command humanoid up to level 25 for 2 sec on target
command creature up to level 25 for 2 sec on target
turn undead up to level 25 for 2 sec on target

I can take down almost anyone in the game out with a single blast of Confusion followed immediately by a blast of Elemental Fusion even at toped out levels!

Dont wear any armor as it decreases your spell effectiveness, if you really want damage protection you could enchant clothing with shield effects which offer more protection than armor anyway and dont decrease magic effectiveness. I dont really find that nescessary though, Id rather have fortify magic enchantments and just dont let yourself get hit much.

Also the Necromancers Amulet is totally worth holding on to if your a mage character. I dont even finish the mages guild quest just so I can hang on to it, but there are ways of duplicating it using the skull of curruption so you can finish the guild quests and keep the amulet if your really set on finishing the quest.

For close range (people that run up on you) I use a dagger (mostly for blocking although I do use it for attacking once in a while) and a touch version of Elemental Fusion for taking people down quickly before they can do any damage. Touch because its cheaper to cast than ranged spells and its also easier to hit people that are moving around real close to you.

Can also enchant the dagger with a grand soul gem :)

(Elemental Dagger)
14 points fire for 1 sec
14 points frost for 1 sec
14 points shock for 1 sec
soul trap for 1 sec
100% weakness to fire for 1 sec
100% weakness to frost for 1 sec
100% weakness to shock for 1 sec
100% weakness to magic for 1 sec

Use that dagger with Azuras Star and you never have to worry about running out of juice. The best part is that with each swing it gets more powerful so long as its within 1 sec of the previous swing, because the weakness to magic effects stack up and the duration gets reset each time. Blade skill doesnt really matter much with this dagger, it still takes people out real quick because of the enchantments. ;)

handy
April 22nd, 2011, 07:42 AM
I really like using alchemy. You can make incredibly powerful multi-effect poisons, which are powerful enough on their own, though if you combine them with the sneak bonus there aren't many in the ranks of the opposition that don't go down in one hit, without any help from whatever bonuses you have in your chosen weapons.

I tend to like to use bows & daggers myself.

tjwoosta
April 22nd, 2011, 08:24 AM
I really like using alchemy. You can make incredibly powerful multi-effect poisons, which are powerful enough on their own, though if you combine them with the sneak bonus there aren't many in the ranks of the opposition that don't go down in one hit, without any help from whatever bonuses you have in your chosen weapons.

Indeed, especially when you have the shivering isles expansion. It adds a bunch of new ingredients that open even more options for multi effect poisons and potions.

I forget the exact ingredients but heres one poison I would use with my archer character

(Freezerburn)
damage health
fire damage
frost damage
damage magicka
paralyze

I also would use this potion for healing. It really helps when your down to you last bit of life and need to get away from battle so you can heal

(Escape)
restore health
restore magicka
restore fatigue
invisibility

EDIT: couldnt resist figuring out the ingredients

Freezerburn: Bone Marrow, Congealed Putrescence, Milk Thistle Seeds, Spidal Stick

Escape: Aloe Vera Leaves, Stinkhorn Cap, Blackberry, Flame Stalk

Of course some of the ingredients can probably be substituted with others that have the same properties, but these work.

handy
April 22nd, 2011, 10:05 AM
You probably know about the alchemy calculator:

http://www.uesp.net/oblivion/alchemy/alc_calc.php

It has certainly helped me create powerfully positive & powerfully negative (to the enemies) blends.

tjwoosta
April 22nd, 2011, 10:21 AM
You probably know about the alchemy calculator:

http://www.uesp.net/oblivion/alchemy/alc_calc.php

It has certainly helped me create powerfully positive & powerfully negative (to the enemies) blends.

Actually I didn't, thanks for pointing that out :)

Ive always just scanned through my ingredients and tried to match up favorable properties. This would have saved me a lot of time.

handy
April 22nd, 2011, 11:07 AM
Actually I didn't, thanks for pointing that out :)

Ive always just scanned through my ingredients and tried to match up favorable properties. This would have saved me a lot of time.

It surely would have. :)

I would have found out about it on the UESPwiki:

http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Oblivion:Oblivion

tjwoosta
April 22nd, 2011, 11:10 AM
lol, Ive been there many times too, just never looked into alchemy.

handy
April 22nd, 2011, 11:12 AM
lol, Ive been there many times too, just never looked into alchemy.

This one would have done the trick:

http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Oblivion:Useful_Potions#Multiple-Effect_Poisons

[edit:] All this talk about Oblivion is making me want to go back & have a few sessions. :)

3Miro
April 22nd, 2011, 11:15 AM
Spells not that powerful? Ive played through a couple times with pure mage characters and Id have to disagree. Spells are the most powerful attacks in the game, especially custom spells with multiple elemental damage effects and a short duration.

Yes, the spell combos were good, but overall there are way too few spell effects and once you reach a high level, dealing this enormous damage takes way too much trouble. I have to hit the enemy with several spells, where a few mindless clicks of the mouse would do the same trick.

tjwoosta
April 22nd, 2011, 11:40 AM
Whats the button for casting spells on pc? Ive only played on 360 so spells are pretty much the same effort as swinging a sword, just rb instead of rt.

cblnchat
April 23rd, 2011, 09:51 PM
JRPG = Japanese RPG, like Final Fantasy.

I always played as a Nord.

Ohhh! I love Final Fantasy! I really only liked the GBA ones and 5, 7 and 12 tho. Hated 10.
Which ones did you like?

I had a hard time with Nords...im not that good at swinging a sword around lol. Im more of the sneaky type.
I would usually do a Wood Elf Assassin or something along those lines. You?

cblnchat
April 23rd, 2011, 10:05 PM
I am not sure what you mean by "games like that". I have not played any MMOs so I cannot really compare and contrast, but from the single player RPG games I have payed Might and Magic 6/7/8, Diablo I/II, Rage of Mages 2, Dragon Age: Origins. Also note that I have not played Morrowind. Out of those that I have played, Oblivion has outstandingly bad game mechanics, not that the others were perfect, just that Oblivion stinks really badly. The biggest contrast to Oblivion is Diablo II, while in Diablo you have a completely linear story, interaction with NPC characters consists of listening to monologues and the entire game is going around killing stuff, Diablo has a very thought through leveling scheme. There is a lot of very interesting and very deep math. You get rewarded for doing what is fun.

The arrows in Oblivion are an example of bad merchant mechanics and this is independent of the type of character that you have. For example, three characters find 100 arrows and a sword. The arrows are a gold piece each, the bow and the sword are 200 gold each. Then you get three scenarios:
PlayerA: keeps the arrows, sells the sword (assume he already has a bow for the arrows)
PlayerB: keeps the sword and sells all the arrows in one transaction with a nearby merchant
PlayerC: keeps the sword, but spends 5 minutes clicking like crazy selling all the arrows one at a time (this is about 300 mouse point-and-clicks).
The question is, who got the biggest boost to their Merchant skill?
PlayerA sold the most expensive item, however, he got just as much experience as PlayeB, who sold a much cheaper item. Yet, both of them got 100 times less experience than PlayerC, who was rewarded for spending 5 minutes doing something absolutely boring.

I do a lot of modding for Civilization IV, but I have not done anything in Oblivion. Overall Oblivion is somewhat rigid, but there are plenty of modding tools out there. You can edit the data files fairly easily (just create a new datafile that is loaded on game start and it replaces the old data), so you can change gear stars and such fairly easily. There is also OBSE (Oblivion Script Extension), which is a wrapper for Oblivion and it lets you write your own in-game scripts. This lets you change the leveling mechanics and such. There are also hundreds of visual mods, giving new unique gear and such, but I have no skills in 3D modeling.

I have not played any of those games you mentioned! But you have a good point about Oblivions mechanics. But to me it makes sense, the more you sell something, the more experience you get out of it. But they probably could have done something to keep from doing that arrow thing. Maybe put the minimum number of stuff you can sell at one time from 1 to 10...im not sure lol. (i wonder if you could mod something like that?)

I also found that spells tend to be relatively weak and hard to use early in the game. By far my biggest problem with being a mage was that, until you could Make spells, everything had one use. Shield spell, then firespell, then sometimes shield spell again...then die lol. At least it was that way in my experience. I also tried a battle mage...but that combined my two worst character types, a mage and a warrior type. Im just horrible with warrior types. After a lot of experimentation i found the assassin/thief type. And i love it! Ive landed on a Wood Elf (i used to use Kajiit for the acrobatics boost) and using some kind of custom assassin/thief type. And yes i believe it is double. You get a much higher boost for sneak attacks using a sword, up to 10x i believe, although there is a cheat of sorts to make it so you can get a sword multiplier.

But that modding sounds fun. When i get a computer that can run it, id like to try modding oblivion. But im also going to give those games you mentioned a shot when i can. :)

cblnchat
April 23rd, 2011, 10:08 PM

Same here. Ive said this in a few posts to others already but i love the assassin/thief type characters. Combined with a Wood Elf its the best in my opinion. Although i know what you mean, and i love alchemy, i never pick it as a main attribute, theres other stuff i use more...and alchemy is just way to easy to level up. Its almost as easy as that personality attribute...the one that levels up when you play the mini-game with the wheel and you can bribe the ppl.

NMFTM
April 24th, 2011, 12:22 AM
Alchemy (in Oblivion) is a good way to make money, but after awhile it lost it's awesomeness. Every time I'd go somewhere I'd pick any plant I could find and after awhile make potions. I was making about 20-30k gold every time and eventually got over 100,000 gold that I had nothing to do with. Seems a little overpowered IMO, makes the in game currency kind of not really matter at all.

handy
April 24th, 2011, 01:51 AM
Alchemy (in Oblivion) is a good way to make money, but after awhile it lost it's awesomeness. Every time I'd go somewhere I'd pick any plant I could find and after awhile make potions. I was making about 20-30k gold every time and eventually got over 100,000 gold that I had nothing to do with. Seems a little overpowered IMO, makes the in game currency kind of not really matter at all.

I think you are tending to be somewhat bias in your statements.

You really have to do a LOT of work to get your mercantile skill up high enough to be of good use when it comes to making money in Oblivion. Without using mods, that takes a LOT of hours of work to do.

I don't think that the mechanics of the game makes money of little value throughout the game. Once you own all of the houses that you want, & have whatever else you need that you have acquired one way or another you are rich.

Once you are rich then money doesn't matter so much anymore, so you don't have to do things that may seem like a grind to make money, you can just keep topping up if you like by selling the most valuable items that you pick up from slain foes or wherever.

The game has plenty of bugs in it, & the levelling system is really not ideal. I used to use a lot of mods when I played under Linux. These days I use a PS3 & using mods is not possible. I still like the game & just play the game as it was written to be played with its bugs & occasional design flaws.

All in all I've found Oblivion to be a brilliant game, it has to be one of my all time favourites.

I've recently played Final Fantasy XIII, it looks great, has some interesting mechanics, but it is just plain linear. Which puts me off. Personally I find Oblivion to be a vastly superior gaming experience.

cblnchat
April 25th, 2011, 11:27 PM
I think you are tending to be somewhat bias in your statements.

You really have to do a LOT of work to get your mercantile skill up high enough to be of good use when it comes to making money in Oblivion. Without using mods, that takes a LOT of hours of work to do.

I don't think that the mechanics of the game makes money of little value throughout the game. Once you own all of the houses that you want, & have whatever else you need that you have acquired one way or another you are rich.

Once you are rich then money doesn't matter so much anymore, so you don't have to do things that may seem like a grind to make money, you can just keep topping up if you like by selling the most valuable items that you pick up from slain foes or wherever.

The game has plenty of bugs in it, & the levelling system is really not ideal. I used to use a lot of mods when I played under Linux. These days I use a PS3 & using mods is not possible. I still like the game & just play the game as it was written to be played with its bugs & occasional design flaws.

All in all I've found Oblivion to be a brilliant game, it has to be one of my all time favourites.

I've recently played Final Fantasy XIII, it looks great, has some interesting mechanics, but it is just plain linear. Which puts me off. Personally I find Oblivion to be a vastly superior gaming experience.

What about the leveling system do you not like? I didnt really find any problems with it. But i agree that Oblivion is an amazing game! I think it is actually my all time favorite...with Fallout 3 a somewhat near second.

But i havent played any of the new Final Fantasy games...basically just V, VII, and XII.

handy
April 26th, 2011, 01:54 AM
What about the leveling system do you not like? I didnt really find any problems with it. But i agree that Oblivion is an amazing game! I think it is actually my all time favorite...with Fallout 3 a somewhat near second.

But i havent played any of the new Final Fantasy games...basically just V, VII, and XII.

Have a read over here, you will find out about the flaws in the overcomplicated levelling system in detail:

http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Oblivion:Efficient_Leveling

3Miro
April 26th, 2011, 02:14 AM
Have a read over here, you will find out about the flaws in the overcomplicated levelling system in detail:

http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Oblivion:Efficient_Leveling

+1.

As I mentioned before, the leveling system is the worst part of the game. There are other bugs, but those are overall small.

Giraffemonster
April 26th, 2011, 02:22 AM
I also read from the Unofficial Elder Scrolls Pages.

About the leveling system, I don't really like it either. It's either not have a fun experience (Unless you find efficient leveling fun), or become horribly underpowered. Or you could underlevel, which makes the game incredibly boring.

I used mods to circumvent that flaw.

I do like how Bethesda makes the game so easy to mod, and how they even encourage modding of the game. Along with the rewrite of most aspects of TESV: Skyrim, apparently Bethesda is also improving the modding tools. I don't think it's called the "construction set" for Skyrim.

I remember I had 72+ hours on this one heavily modded game. Good times.

tjwoosta
April 26th, 2011, 02:23 AM
I agree that the leveling system has its flaws, but its only a problem if you exploit them. Its still very playable IMO.

If you just play through the game naturally, never grinding skills or anything, it all works out just fine, so long as you adhere to your character. For example if you choose a mage class you should play as a mage and use magic for battle. If you choose a mage class then play as a swordsman or archer you will level up your sword or archery skills without ever gaining levels thus the enemies stay very weak while you become almost invincible.

Some people like to grind skills (sit there for hours just casting the same spell over and over for example, or sell bundles or arrows one arrow at a time to level up merchantile). IMO this totally takes the fun out of the game, and is not nescessary at all. Getting exactly 5 points for exactly 3 attributes when leveling is not at all required to enjoy the game. While it will make you level more efficiently, so you become much more powerful than your enemies, its also a good way to make yourself get real tired of playing real quick ;)

Then there are those who never sleep so the enemies stay at level 1 while all their skills top out. That also IMO completely destroys the gaming experience. Whats the point of playing a game where its almost impossible to lose?

This isnt an mmo, theres no need to have topped out everything in order to compete. Just play through naturally and I guarantee youll enjoy the experience more.

NightwishFan
April 26th, 2011, 02:47 AM
I can agree. Oblivion might have its problems but it looks great and it is generally fun to roleplay. Leveling up skills naturally is much more fun than hording them.

handy
April 26th, 2011, 03:38 AM
The main skill I work at levelling up is mercantile, also doing lots of the little personality games can pay off from time to time, also I always straight away start bringing my alchemy skill up.

Bringing those up allows me to become wealthier quicker with all of the benefits that come with it. Alchemy makes me more dangerous quicker which is relatively easy as the you can pick up so many materials off the ground in your travels. They can add to both your alchemy skills, poisons, health potions or whatever else you create, & your mercantile when you sell your excess production.

I find this an effective & simple way to at least start a character.

Giraffemonster
April 26th, 2011, 03:47 AM
The main skill I work at levelling up is mercantile, also doing lots of the little personality games can pay off from time to time, also I always straight away start bringing my alchemy skill up.

Bringing those up allows me to become wealthier quicker with all of the benefits that come with it. Alchemy makes me more dangerous quicker which is relatively easy as the you can pick up so many materials off the ground in your travels. They can add to both your alchemy skills, poisons, health potions or whatever else you create, & your mercantile when you sell your excess production.

I find this an effective & simple way to at least start a character.

I've also sort of found the mercantile skill a bit flawed. You get experience for the number of transactions, rather than value or discount price. I got a mod to fix that. Personality, I never really needed. You need 70+ disposition to get advancements in almost every quest, and guards will pay off your small, "misdeeds" at 80+ disposition. You can raise the cap to around 80 at about 35 mercantile. I've found the personality game pretty fun, but I think it's a bit too simple. I never really needed any more than level 50 in it.

Alchemy is a good skill too. I can see why you raised it, makes a lot of money. Pretty fun too if you can remember the effects of common ingredients. Eventually, alchemy pays off big time.

What I mainly like about Oblivion, and all the Elder Scrolls games, is the open-endedness that they have. I can choose to fight in the Arena, do Mages Guild tasks, or save Tamriel from Mehrunes Dagon.

For some reason though, Morrowind just gives me a warm feeling that Oblivion doesn't, despite Oblivion being more technologically advanced.

tjwoosta
April 26th, 2011, 04:06 AM
Ive never really found a need for merchantile. Just selling potions even with little to no merchantile skill makes me enough money to get the things I want. Of course I dont buy up all the houses and everything right away either, I usually just use inns or stay at the guild halls for the most part, also frostcraig spire where I store all my stuff.

This time around Im playing as a mage so I just made a spell for bartering :)

fortify merchantile 100 points for 5 seconds on self
fortify personality 100 points for 5 seconds on self
charm 100 points for 5 seconds on target

With this I can invest in shops, get the best bargains, and have guards pay off my fines, even though my merchantile is really only at 30 and personality is only 50.

handy
April 26th, 2011, 04:24 AM
I can do without all the mods, & such, the one thing that I do miss from time to time though is Frostcrag Spire the extension that contains that is not available on the PS3.

tjwoosta
April 26th, 2011, 04:59 AM
Speaking of mods, has anyone seen the new morrowind "overhaul sound & graphics" mod?

Check this out!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pqEF8EzUBiQ

wizard10000
April 26th, 2011, 08:25 AM
...With this I can invest in shops, get the best bargains, and have guards pay off my fines, even though my merchantile is really only at 30 and personality is only 50.

Interesting that no one has mentioned the scroll duplication trick yet, as it makes it easy to generate as much money as you want ;)

But - I don't think there's anything in the game I can buy that's better than something I can make.

tjwoosta
April 26th, 2011, 09:15 AM
Interesting that no one has mentioned the scroll duplication trick yet, as it makes it easy to generate as much money as you want ;)

But - I don't think there's anything in the game I can buy that's better than something I can make.

Page 4 post #32 ;)

wizard10000
April 26th, 2011, 09:22 AM
page 4 post #32 ;)

Oops ;)

handy
April 26th, 2011, 04:23 PM
I've just spent some hours creating a new character & starting another game in Oblivion.

Good fun after 6 months or more away from it. :)

BrokenKingpin
April 26th, 2011, 04:35 PM
Morrowind was by far the best. Oblivion was okay, but the leveling system was crap.

saxojon
April 27th, 2011, 06:13 PM
Morrowind is the best TES so far. Skyrim looks like its gonna be awesome, though.

handy
April 28th, 2011, 03:03 AM
Perhaps I didn't spend enough time with Morrowind? I found the incredibly slow travel to be quite turn off after a while. Horses for courses I guess. :)

I've been spending some time playing Oblivion over the last couple of days. Very happy at this early stage with how my new character is going.

I created a female Red Guard, (resist poison & disease 75% constant), Warrior (strong in Endurance & Strength), with an Atronach (50% spell absorption - constant, + 150 Magicka, no magic regeneration over time).

This character is to play (at least initially a thief type character, primarily using the bow & occasionally the blade, & plenty of alchemy). The new character is already a member of both the Thieves Guild & the Dark Brotherhood. Though I won't progress through those quests until I have levelled up along way from level 2. As there are too many valuable & worthwhile levelled items involved in those quests. It is also a member of the Mages & Fighters Guilds, though I'm not as interested in pursuing those quests, I find the sneaky ones the most fun.

Because the style of play I'm using doesn't rely on the builds major attributes, I'm therefore strengthening the characters minor attributes, which allows quite slow levelling & the creation of a strong character.

Due to my grinding alchemy, which brings a good amount of gold, mostly from creating potions from ingredients that are bought from various stores in Cyrodil, the alchemy skill is levelling fast. As is the mercantile skill which is used to raise funds by selling the potions. (The game is un-modded so raising mercantile is still far too slow.)

The most boring part, at least in the early part of the game, is due to my choice of buying & selling items individually instead of by group. Done purely to cause the characters mercantile skill to level faster. A result of the very poorly designed way that the mercantile skill works in this game.

Doing it this way levels the mercantile skill faster, which brings more wealth sooner & allows you to dispense with having to deal with this major flaw in the game (un-modded games anyway).

I look forward to reaching the level where I can invest in my favourite shops, so that they have the maximum level of gold that they can pay lifted to a higher level & can therefore give me more gold for the higher class items that come later in the game.

I find the poorly designed mercantile system to be the weakest link in the game. The other characteristics of the levelling system can be pretty easily dealt with, & don't really impinge on the fun of the game. But the mercantile aspect really sucks.

The fun part is that I'm building up the attributes that I enjoy using, without the problem of levelling quickly as they are minor skills of the character. If they were major skills & I was playing that way, I would be far beyond level 2 now & would be creating a much weaker character as the game goes on. Which can make it pretty tough at the higher levels of the game.

A benefit of the major/minor skill division, is that if I want to level faster, I just start using any of the majors that can suit me, such as blade, armourer, heavy armour. The other majors of the build I'm not really interested in at all.

Thus far, early into 2nd level (after over 12 hours play) I've picked up expert level alchemy, which allows me to see all of the potential effects of an ingredient (usually 4), & effectively use the maximum number of ingredients (4) when making potions. My mercantile ability is also moving along as well as the un-modded game mechanics will allow, due to my selling many potions that I've made.

This suits my style of play, as at this early stage I'm just setting the character up to be strong throughout the game, & just doing all the quests that are best done in the early levels of the game.

Soon after reaching level 2. I was able to kill Umbra & get the sword "Umbra" (0 weight, most powerful sword in the game) & her heavy armour. Though I prefer to use the Black Hand outfit that I stole from J'Ghasta's locked barrel in his house in Bruma. :)

Trying to kill Umbra whilst at level 1. got me killed pretty quickly on the first attempt. (Which was an uncommon experience, as I don't usually die in this game.) So I thought about it for a while & decided I'll have to accrue more funds so I can buy the Apotheosis Staff, from Rindir's Staffs.

That did the trick. No problems with Umbra at all after a couple of blasts from that staff. In future I'll remember that easy way to gain the best sword in the game with a character that is so new to the game.

My level 1. character, mostly through the buying of ingredients & turning them into potions was able to manage to get hold of Benirus Manor, in Anvil. Which gives me an unlimited supply of ectoplasm, obtained via killing the 7 ghosts that live there (until the quest is completed - & it won't be) every time I enter the Manor. Ectoplasm is an essential ingredient of some of the most powerful multi-effect potions that I'll be using a lot later in the game.

Sometimes I think making & starting up a new character is the best part of the game. Perhaps its because its like being young again. :lolflag:

3Miro
April 28th, 2011, 03:42 AM
For some reason the math behind the Antorach never made sense to me. You can get 50% or even 100% spell absorption, but so what. That cannot account for spell points regeneration, and spell reflection and immunity are overall more useful.

I can imagine being an Antorach and waiting for spells to hit me to regenerate my magika, or I can be a Breton and just be immune to spells, then kill the enemy and wait 10 seconds for the magika to regenerate by itself (while I move to the next enemy). I get to have more fun killing enemies and get to have the immunity too. Ti just doesn't seem like fun.

NightwishFan
April 28th, 2011, 03:50 AM
It is more useful in Morrowind. Enemies have a lot more dangerous magic that the absorb works for.

tolstolobik
April 28th, 2011, 09:59 AM
Nice thread. Morrowind is the best game ever. Oblivion is in my top 5. With some googling and Wine - they works exelent on my box. Waiting for Skyrim...
Bethesda rocks!:guitar:

handy
April 29th, 2011, 03:24 AM
For some reason the math behind the Atronach never made sense to me. You can get 50% or even 100% spell absorption, but so what. That cannot account for spell points regeneration, and spell reflection and immunity are overall more useful.

I think it depends on how you play whatever character you create.

This one won't be using magic much at all, so the Atronach sign, just gives it some simple additional protection right from the start of the game, & the +150 is also beneficial for when you do get topped up by enemy magic or however.

I can imagine being an Atronach and waiting for spells to hit me to regenerate my magika, or I can be a Breton and just be immune to spells, then kill the enemy and wait 10 seconds for the magika to regenerate by itself (while I move to the next enemy). I get to have more fun killing enemies and get to have the immunity too. It just doesn't seem like fun.

Again, it depends how you play your character. Mine will be a master alchemist/sneak, mostly using a bow with poison on it that I've made alchemically, or a sneak attack with a poisoned blade.

So magic will mostly be used just to top up health from time to time. If I need more health or magic for whatever reason I can get it easily from potions that I make.

It surely is one of the great strengths of Oblivion, that it allows the player to build such a variety of characters & play them in many different ways.

wizard10000
April 29th, 2011, 09:10 AM
Mine will be a master alchemist/sneak, mostly using a bow with poison on it that I've made alchemically, or a sneak attack with a poisoned blade.

This is what I do, although I'm less than happy with the way alchemy works in Oblivion.

My current character is a lvl 31 female Redguard with a full set of amber armor - half of it enchanted with fortify magicka and the other half enchanted with fortify willpower. Alchemy, light armor, destruction, restoration and sneak are all at the expert level while armorer is at the master level. Destruction would also be at master if my trainer hadn't been killed by an Oblivion gate :(

Note to self: If you see an Oblivion gate near your master destruction magic trainer's camp, close the damn thing - there is no way to recover from a dead master trainer :D

My primary weapon is a Daedric bow enchanted with fire, frost and shock damage plus soul trap all over two seconds and is mainly used with Arrows of Cleansing, which are also a two-second weapon. My secondary weapon is a Daedric dagger with the same enchantments over one second but weakness to fire, frost and shock are included. Both are generally two-shot kills against pretty much any character in the game - one shot for most if you sneak up on them :D

Anyway, what I *don't* like about alchemy is that right now any poison I create works over ~30 seconds and my soul trap spell has long expired. If you sneak up on and shoot a Minotaur Lord with a poisoned arrow it'll eventually kill him but it'll take half a minute while he hammers away at you (which ain't bad for armor and restoration skills) or you run from him until he dies - or you shoot him a couple more times, which kinda defeats the idea of the poison in the first place.

I think I may create a new bow with a 30 second soul trap :)

Anyway, I don't mind that my restore and fortify potions work over almost 3 1/2 minutes because adding a one second negative effect will let you stack potions but I'd like my poisons to be a little faster-acting, please.

:D

cblnchat
May 1st, 2011, 11:09 PM
I agree that the leveling system has its flaws, but its only a problem if you exploit them. Its still very playable IMO.

If you just play through the game naturally, never grinding skills or anything, it all works out just fine, so long as you adhere to your character. For example if you choose a mage class you should play as a mage and use magic for battle. If you choose a mage class then play as a swordsman or archer you will level up your sword or archery skills without ever gaining levels thus the enemies stay very weak while you become almost invincible.

Some people like to grind skills (sit there for hours just casting the same spell over and over for example, or sell bundles or arrows one arrow at a time to level up merchantile). IMO this totally takes the fun out of the game, and is not nescessary at all. Getting exactly 5 points for exactly 3 attributes when leveling is not at all required to enjoy the game. While it will make you level more efficiently, so you become much more powerful than your enemies, its also a good way to make yourself get real tired of playing real quick ;)

Then there are those who never sleep so the enemies stay at level 1 while all their skills top out. That also IMO completely destroys the gaming experience. Whats the point of playing a game where its almost impossible to lose?

This isnt an mmo, theres no need to have topped out everything in order to compete. Just play through naturally and I guarantee youll enjoy the experience more.

I agree with that! And thats what ive always done. I always do an assassin/thief type character and i play thru just like that. I dont grind or anything. And i love the game!

andrewabc
May 2nd, 2011, 03:07 AM
Morrowblivion. The rate they are going in about a year should be really nice and hopefully easier to install.
http://img713.imageshack.us/img713/5364/seydaneen.png

I did do Morrowind Expanded (http://morrowind2009.wordpress.com/) guide to make morrowind look nice. Apparently my onboard Radeon HD 4250 vid card isn't fast enough to handle it. But it does look good.

Thanks for Morrowind Overhaul link.

Throne777
May 2nd, 2011, 03:12 AM
A fun thing to do on Oblivion.
Get some basic clothes (no armour), and add Chameleon to everything. If done right, you can get it to 100%.
Go into a guard tower and start punching all the guards in the face.
If you ramp up the difficulty to absolute max, you can level up in the hand to hand skill really quickly by doing this (it will take -literally- about half an hour to kill each guard though).

happyhamster
May 2nd, 2011, 03:29 AM
My favorite TES game is definitely Oblivion, but I have very fond memories of Daggerfall as well. Daggerfall was the first open game I'd ever seen, you could just go anywhere and do anything when you felt like it. Amazing. It was very buggy though. I remember one particular difficult maze-like dungeon I never bothered to navigate. Instead, I would just run my character through some walls or corners (some weird clipping issue), after which you could just fly above the entire structure to the quest item (and then teleport back to the exit, resetting the proper graphics).

Battlespire was fun too, although it's a much more confined and linear game than the other TES's.

I've played Arena and Morrowind, but never finished them. Can't remember much about Arena, but Morrowind just became a bit tedious over time.

I've also played Redguard: a few minutes that is. Hardware at the time was too old, it couldn't run the game properly at all (framerate 3 fps or so :) ) So I gave that game away (aargh).

Anyway, would love Oblivion for its graphics alone: just running around in the fields at dawn or dusk is something else. And the quest with the painted trolls was just pure gold. Can't wait until Skyrim!

Dustin2128
May 2nd, 2011, 04:07 AM
Nice thread. Morrowind is the best game ever. Oblivion is in my top 5. With some googling and Wine - they works exelent on my box. Waiting for Skyrim...
Bethesda rocks!:guitar:
Link please? Morrowind runs horribly on my computer.

Mannimarco
May 3rd, 2011, 11:21 AM
I liked Oblivion very much, also I played Daggerfall, Morrowind is too boring for me.

Daggerfall released in 1996 (I guess), so it has cool graphics :)
When I started it for the 1st time, I thought it was just a bug :D

Btw, my nickname(Mannimarco) is from Elder Scrolls games xD

cblnchat
May 3rd, 2011, 10:07 PM
Btw, my nickname(Mannimarco) is from Elder Scrolls games xD

I thot so. Whats it from within the game tho? Its very familiar to me i just cant place it.

Shmantiv_Radio
May 3rd, 2011, 10:15 PM
also a good way to make yourself get real tired of playing real quick ;)

But if you get bored you can always slaughter everyone in a city. That's always fun. :P

TacticalApe
May 3rd, 2011, 10:17 PM
I love TES. I have every game in the series, including Battlespire and Redguard. Morrowind, by far, is my favorite. I played Oblivion first, though, then went and got the other games afterwards.

Mannimarco
May 3rd, 2011, 10:31 PM
cblnchat:
Mannimarco is the leader and founder of the Necromancers' Cult.

Oblivion is so detailed game! You can read books about history of Tamriel, about Mannimarco and Vanus Galerion (the first arch-mage). I heard someone even wrote a book(not game) about Tamriel. It's like Forgotten Realms world.

You can join Mannimarco in the Daggerfall game, and kill him in Oblivion (completing Mages' Guild main quest). I don't know about TES: Arena and TES III: Morrowind -- I didn't play them.

handy
May 3rd, 2011, 11:40 PM
http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Lore:Mannimarco

http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Oblivion:Mannimarco

http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Oblivion:Mannimarco,_King_of_Worms

handy
May 4th, 2011, 07:34 AM
I've spent a few days furthering the character that I mentioned in a previous post.

At this point I'm right on the verge moving to level 3. Though where I'm spending my efforts is not causing me to level, which is fine by me at this stage.

My character is the grand champion of the Arena. Which is something that I had to do to be able to gain enough fame so that I could buy Rosethorn Hall.

After buying Rosethorn Hall, I could then after mustering up the gold, buy the servants quarters, followed by the kitchen (never have seen that kitchen?) & then I could afford to pay Eyja the 150 gold so that she would come & be live in help.

She is why I put a great deal of effort into accumulating the funds (at level 2) to purchase Rosethorn Hall & the necessary upgrades, so that once she is there, she could provide me with an unlimited supply of both Shepherd's Pie. Which alchemically becomes Cure Disease potion, & her freely supplied & unlimited Rosethorn Mead, which gives you +5 strength (x4 = +20 strength) & therefore allows you to carry more Cure Disease potions to the nearby traders in Skingrad.

At such an early stage of the game, (not only) due to selling Eyja's free produce, I have bought all of the upgrades that I want for Rosethorn Hall, & gained a considerable amount of gold, which is certainly helpful at this stage of the game.

This isn't cheating or using a glitch, it is how the game was made to be played, if you want to play it that way. :)

The only grind I've been involved in, & it surely is one, is that of the buying & selling of items individually, so as to be able to upgrade the character's Mercantile skill as quickly as possible.

Which I sometimes think is strange really, as I can more easily make all the gold & more that I need, just by selling the alchemical produce from Eyja's free pie's!

Though I really do look forward to being able to invest in my preferred shops so that they have a larger financial purchasing capacity.

handy
May 6th, 2011, 11:15 AM
Have laboriously raised my Mercantile skill to 70, then did the "A Shadow over Hackdirt" quest, which thankfully raised my Mercantile level to 75, = expert. At last I can invest 500 gold into shops if I so desire. :)

I think I'll artificially raise my mercantile with "Boots of the Swift Merchant" = 10 points; "Imperial Breeches" = 5 points; the "Sithian heaven doomstone" gives (amongst other things) the ability to raise your Mercantile level by 20 points for 120 seconds, once per day. These are all good & easy ways to more quickly reap the benefits of Mercantile mastery, whilst you wait (for so long, at the higher levels in particular...) for it to be genuinely earned.

Mannimarco
May 6th, 2011, 04:39 PM
handy

Wow, you are really pro at The Elder Scrolls. :D

Btw, does anyone know any *really* good add-ons for Oblivion? I tried to install "Mannimarco Resurrection," but after that my game started crashing every 2 minutes. I can play neither add-on nor game with only master file.

Sslaxx
May 6th, 2011, 04:50 PM
Hmmm. Oscuro's Oblivion Overhaul, Open Cities and New Roads and Bridges Revised are the main mods I use. OOO is especially good, I think.

handy
May 7th, 2011, 01:37 AM
This is a good site for mods:

http://sites.google.com/site/aelius28/home

The other sites I used to use when I ran Oblivion under Linux (& could therefore use mods) no longer exist.

Also, any of the mega add-ons that handle multiple add-ons wouldn't work (in my day at least) as they used the .NET framework.

Something you need to be aware of when you install mods for Oblivion running on Linux, is that they were written for Windows which is NOT case sensitive. So each time you install a mod, you need to go in & check the case & change it (& all files that it installed) to upper/lower case, which ever you have chosen to be your consistent standard.

There is actually a Terminal command for doing this which makes it a lot easier & quicker, but I can't for the life of me remember what it is at the moment. Perhaps someone who knows will post it.

andrewabc
May 7th, 2011, 02:41 AM
handy

Wow, you are really pro at The Elder Scrolls. :D

Btw, does anyone know any *really* good add-ons for Oblivion? I tried to install "Mannimarco Resurrection," but after that my game started crashing every 2 minutes. I can play neither add-on nor game with only master file.

Not an add-on but an entirely new game (total conversion mod). You may enjoy if looking for something different.
Nehrim - At Fate's Edge (http://www.moddb.com/mods/nehrim-at-fates-edge)

handy
May 7th, 2011, 04:23 AM
Not an add-on but an entirely new game (total conversion mod). You may enjoy if looking for something different.
Nehrim - At Fate's Edge (http://www.moddb.com/mods/nehrim-at-fates-edge)

That looks like a brilliant new game based on the Oblivion engine. Shame it doesn't run on the PS3.

Does it run OK via Wine/Crossover Games?

andrewabc
May 7th, 2011, 10:41 PM
That looks like a brilliant new game based on the Oblivion engine. Shame it doesn't run on the PS3.

Does it run OK via Wine/Crossover Games?

PS3: Yeah consoles are no good for mods :(

Don't know about wine/crossover. I'm on windows. I havn't even played it yet, still working on regular Oblivion.

cblnchat
May 9th, 2011, 07:25 AM
But if you get bored you can always slaughter everyone in a city. That's always fun. :P
thats always fun...i usually did that when i got really bored id just shoot arrows into the air lol

Dustin2128
May 9th, 2011, 11:27 AM
Except the 25-40% of the population that is essential to some minor side quest- therefore, unkillable.

cblnchat
May 10th, 2011, 12:34 AM
Except the 25-40% of the population that is essential to some minor side quest- therefore, unkillable.
true lol.
But that never really bothered me.

Dustin2128
May 10th, 2011, 01:06 AM
true lol.
But that never really bothered me.
But as I've said before, having started playing ES with morrowind, it annoys the hell out of me. I mean I killed just about every person in the game once, but as long as I left the dwarf guy alive I could still win it! Even if I didn't feel like doing that (for some odd reason), I could still kill anyone I felt like- screw the non-necessary side quests. Feels like protecting you from yourself, honestly. But though it's used much less liberally, it is a lot worse/funnier in fallout 3. Launch 6 mini-nukes at this person, get a headshot, blow half the town to their deaths, and "Harkness has been knocked unconscious!"

cblnchat
May 11th, 2011, 11:21 PM
But as I've said before, having started playing ES with morrowind, it annoys the hell out of me. I mean I killed just about every person in the game once, but as long as I left the dwarf guy alive I could still win it! Even if I didn't feel like doing that (for some odd reason), I could still kill anyone I felt like- screw the non-necessary side quests. Feels like protecting you from yourself, honestly. But though it's used much less liberally, it is a lot worse/funnier in fallout 3. Launch 6 mini-nukes at this person, get a headshot, blow half the town to their deaths, and "Harkness has been knocked unconscious!"

Lol yea. My first time in Fallout 3 i accidentally shot the head guy and everyone went crazy and i kept shooting someone and it was always saying they were knocked unconscious! lol But it was fun cause they kept running away and when i "knocked" thm unconscious theyd fall from somewhere and have to run back there.

cblnchat
May 26th, 2011, 12:20 AM
fallout 3

I would have commented on this sooner but i never went back pages lol.

But how is it pretty much oblivion? Ive played (and love) Fallout 3, and while they do have some similarities because the same ppl made them, Fallout 3 is a completely different experience.

Btw have you played New Vegas? My 360 died a few years back and i havent been able to afford a new one...and the computers i have are nowhere near good enough to play it.

Dustin2128
May 26th, 2011, 01:35 AM
I would have commented on this sooner but i never went back pages lol.

But how is it pretty much oblivion? Ive played (and love) Fallout 3, and while they do have some similarities because the same ppl made them, Fallout 3 is a completely different experience.

Btw have you played New Vegas? My 360 died a few years back and i havent been able to afford a new one...and the computers i have are nowhere near good enough to play it.
Trivial to upgrade a computer enough to play gambryo engine games like oblivion, fo3 or nv. Step 1: install a GeForce 9600. Step 2: game at your leisure.

cblnchat
May 28th, 2011, 10:17 PM
Trivial to upgrade a computer enough to play gambryo engine games like oblivion, fo3 or nv. Step 1: install a GeForce 9600. Step 2: game at your leisure.

The computer i have was givin to me and its probably close to 10 years old...would that still work?

Dustin2128
May 28th, 2011, 11:09 PM
The computer i have was givin to me and its probably close to 10 years old...would that still work?
hrm, 2001-2? Probably has AGP and close to 1GB RAM. If the proc is <2.5GHz, proceed with revised upgrade plan:
1. Check the case to make sure you have an AGP or PCI-e slot (pci-e preferred) if not, you'll need a new board.
2. (If AGP) install maybe a GeForce 6800 AGP, should get you there. Found (http://cgi.ebay.com/NVIDIA-GeForce-6800-Ultra-256MB-Memory-AGP-Video-Card-/150601944037?pt=PCC_Video_TV_Cards&hash=item2310934be5) a cheap one for you on ebay, I'd recommend at least 256Mb. (If PCI-e) proceed with the 9600 GT. (but make sure the PSU is at least 350-400W, 500W preferred)
3. You'll probably want to up it to 2GB of ram if it's not already. But people usually overestimate the age of their computers in the extreme.

Or: install oldblivion if you've got a windows partition, but I haven't ever gotten it working in linux. Graphics will suck a little bit, though.

handy
May 29th, 2011, 02:30 AM
This may give you a bit of an idea:

I used an AGP nVidia XFX 7950GT 512MB, with an Athlon64 3500+ CPU, 2GB RAM, to play Oblivion via both Cedega & Crossover on Ubuntu. With LOTS of mods running too, at a reasonably high resolution on a 19" CRT monitor.

These days I can't use any mods (you can if you want to get your hands dirty, which I couldn't be bothered doing) but it is just all too easy to throw the disk in the PS3 & play via a 24" monitor. The monitor has USB ports too, so I gain some for my "skinny" PS3, I have my iMac keyboard plugged in for it, (I really don't like that keyboard; it also has an incredibly short USB cable) it is used very rarely on the PS3 (like naming potions in Oblivion).

Dustin2128
May 29th, 2011, 02:34 AM
This may give you a bit of an idea:

I used an AGP nVidia XFX 7950GT 512MB, with an Athlon64 3500+ CPU, 2GB RAM, to play Oblivion via both Cedega & Crossover on Ubuntu. With LOTS of mods running too, at a reasonably high resolution on a 19" CRT monitor.

These days I can't use any mods (you can if you want to get your hands dirty, which I couldn't be bothered doing) but it is just all too easy to throw the disk in the PS3 & play via a 24" monitor. The monitor has USB ports too, so I gain some for my "skinny" PS3, I have my iMac keyboard plugged in for it, (I really don't like that keyboard; it also has an incredibly short USB cable) it is used very rarely on the PS3 (like naming potions in Oblivion).
What? I thought the 7800GT was the last AGP card released by nvidia. The 7900 and 7950 were pci-e exclusive, weren't they?

Minox
May 29th, 2011, 03:39 AM
I've been playing them for years.
I don't know whether I prefer Oblivion or Morrowind.
The story/map is better in Morrowind, but graphics and extra features in Oblivion (such as spoken dialogue, regenerating magicka) make up for the not-as-large map.

I guess I play Oblivion more.

handy
May 29th, 2011, 02:33 PM
What? I thought the 7800GT was the last AGP card released by nvidia. The 7900 and 7950 were pci-e exclusive, weren't they?

The GPU was adapted to the AGP architecture. It did cause me a lot of problems when I was first trying to get it to work on Ubuntu. After many hours I found that in the xorg.conf I had to turn AGP off. After that it worked. In those days the only distro I tried that set up properly for that GPU was Sabayon. Strangely they didn't turn AGP off. I asked on their forum what they did to make it work, but I never received an answer?

Of course as time went by that GPU became no problem under Linux. It is a good AGP card, though it is somewhat power hungry.

lightstream
May 29th, 2011, 05:19 PM
The story/map is better in Morrowind, but graphics and extra features in Oblivion (such as spoken dialogue, regenerating magicka) make up for the not-as-large map.

I agree with this, that Morrowind's story and map are superior and more engrossing. I am not a great fan of the voice acting in Oblivion though...

Personally I actually like the lack of fast travel in Morrowind, I found that detracted quite a lot from the immersion of Oblivion.

tjwoosta
May 29th, 2011, 05:40 PM
Just because the feature is there doesnt mean you have to use it though. I personally never fast travel. I do use the teleporters at frostcrag spire though since it doesnt really detract from the role playing factor. I usually end up teleporting wherever Im going and steal a horse for the trip back. I also sometimes drink 4 or 5 fortify speed potions at once and run even faster than the horses :)

zer010
May 29th, 2011, 06:41 PM
If I'm using WinXP, I can run Oblivion with my specs(see sig). Although, I can only play it on low res as is. However, there is an awesome patch called Oldblivion (http://www.oldblivion.com/) that lets me play it with medium to high settings with a few mods to even things out. Unfortunately, I haven't been able to get Oblivion to work under WINE with or without the Oldblivion patch.

Dustin2128
May 29th, 2011, 07:34 PM
If I'm using WinXP, I can run Oblivion with my specs(see sig). Although, I can only play it on low res as is. However, there is an awesome patch called Oldblivion (http://www.oldblivion.com/) that lets me play it with medium to high settings with a few mods to even things out. Unfortunately, I haven't been able to get Oblivion to work under WINE with or without the Oldblivion patch.
It's because of wine overhang- if you can barley play it in windows due to system specs, you cannot play it on the same machine with linux/wine. Works out of the box with no dlls or anything for me and my 9600, but really since it doesn't use any DX10 stuff, it should work fine on anything higher than a 6200 (worked- not well- on my 6200). FX card is really pushing it though, it's marked as unplayable without oldblivion on uesp.

lightstream
May 29th, 2011, 10:48 PM
Just because the feature is there doesnt mean you have to use it though. I personally never fast travel. I do use the teleporters at frostcrag spire though since it doesnt really detract from the role playing factor. I usually end up teleporting wherever Im going and steal a horse for the trip back. I also sometimes drink 4 or 5 fortify speed potions at once and run even faster than the horses :)

Yes that's true, but for me it does take away that sense of satisfaction after completing a long journey. However reading this thread has inspired me to want to give the game another shot. For one thing, I hadn't realised that you could actually use poisons for anything!

I hope Skyrim's half as good as it sounds so far, with packs of wolves hunting other animals and other touches it really could have that impression of being a real world out there.

Minox
May 30th, 2011, 02:56 AM
Just because the feature is there doesnt mean you have to use it though. I personally never fast travel.

I never fast travel either.
Well, unless I'm tired and I I get lazy. But I only use it if I have took that route before.

handy
May 30th, 2011, 03:48 AM

If you get a better graphics card you should be good to go. You shouldn't have to spend much for it either these days.

I never fast travel either.
Well, unless I'm tired and I I get lazy. But I only use it if I have took that route before.

I fast travel heaps, & slow travel when it suits me for whatever reason. Doing so doesn't take anything away from the game in my case. I know that (thankfully) we aren't all the same though... :)