PDA

View Full Version : Mark Shuttleworth wearing a KDE t-shirt

newbie2
May 8th, 2006, 03:56 PM
At Linuxtag on Saturday, a meeting of Kubuntu and KDE contributors was held in order to improve the collaboration of both projects. The aim was to to talk about the common future of both projects. Jonathan Riddell and Mark Shuttleworth from Canonical attended the meeting. Later in his keynote speech to the conference, Mark publicly committed to Kubuntu as an essential product for Canonical and showed his commitment by wearing a KDE t-shirt.
http://dot.kde.org/1147097810/
:cool:

dabear
May 8th, 2006, 03:59 PM
nice :cool:

Reshin
May 8th, 2006, 04:06 PM
about time :D

dabear
May 8th, 2006, 04:18 PM
But I would rather see a unification between gnome/gtk and kde/qt. Linux in general would gain from having ONE programming- and user interface

Lovechild
May 8th, 2006, 04:23 PM
I catrched the ending of his speech at LinuxTag, he was wearing a KDE t-shirt but really who cares.

On the same day I was btw. wearing a Trolltech t-shirt - does that in anyway make me less of a GNOME fanboy? (it's a really nice t-shirt though, very soft and comfy).

barsanuphe
May 8th, 2006, 04:34 PM
well, mark shuttleworth is the founder/leader of the ubuntu project. so as a figurehead, what he does and wear does have political implications among the ubuntu/kubuntu community.
i for one use kubuntu. i tried gnome but the lack of options makes me feel constrained, so im glad that kubuntu will get the appropriate amount of attention, which sadly it hasnt as of now.

Christmas
May 8th, 2006, 06:43 PM
Starting with Dapper Drake, the next release of Kubuntu to be released at the beginning of June, Canonical will ship CD sets of Kubuntu in the same manner as it did with Ubuntu in the past.

This is awesome news! Kubuntu CDs nice pressed as the Ubuntu ones! And in the FAQ I read it said that Kubuntu CDs won't be a future scope unless somebody finances it. These news are just great!

Rhapsody
May 8th, 2006, 09:06 PM
Mwahaha! First Linus Torvalds advises users to switch to KDE (check it out (http://mail.gnome.org/archives/usability/2005-December/msg00021.html), it's a relatively recent comment too), now Mark Shuttleworth joins! We can take over the world!

Yeah, OK, I kid, I kid. I fully respect the choice of GNOME users (though I'd take KDE every time), and the ideals of freedesktop.org (http://freedesktop.org/wiki/) are certainly admirable. Also, the metting was about KDE and Kubuntu, so the T-shirt was completely justified and understandable as a way of showing his committment to Kubuntu.

I think it's good news too. As a Kubuntu user myself, I'm always happy to hear about better support for my OS of choice. I'd still choose to download an image through BitTorrent and burn it myself rather than waiting for a CD to be delivered to me though. First off, I'm impatient, and my ADSL line can have both a live and install image on my PC in a matter of hours (burning a couple of CDs only take minutes on my new rewriter). Second, it's cheaper for Canonical (CD-Rs are ten for a penny these days, making a proper CD and mailing it costs a lot more), which is good.

aysiu
May 8th, 2006, 09:09 PM
Why don't Chicago pizza makers and New York pizza makers just join forces and make the ultimate Midwest-East Coast pizza?

Choice just confuses people, and having more than one type of pizza wastes resources.

Rhapsody
May 8th, 2006, 09:12 PM
Why don't Chicago pizza makers and New York pizza makers just join forces and make the ultimate Midwest-East Coast pizza?

Choice just confuses people, and having more than one type of pizza wastes resources.
I was going to say something about the rivalry of KDE and GNOME being pointless, but then this precise point just hit me and I moderated my stance. Choice is good.

Azrael
May 8th, 2006, 09:22 PM

Oh, dude, that's so well said; it's quotable!

Lovechild
May 8th, 2006, 09:24 PM

The superior pizzas are still turkish.. everyone knows that.

NeghVar
May 8th, 2006, 09:26 PM

Now thats a pizza worth buying.

But seriously, we can get along with out fighting, you dont have to join together to get along. Healthy competition between the two drives them both to better ideas, features and implimentations.

aysiu
May 8th, 2006, 09:36 PM
Healthy competition between the two drives them both to better ideas, features and implimentations. Anyone who doesn't believe this should read the Gnome/KDE chapter of [i]The Success of Open Source (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0674012925/sr=8-2/qid=1147120549/ref=pd_bbs_2/002-6210013-9407256?%5Fencoding=UTF8).

Kernel Sanders
May 8th, 2006, 09:39 PM
http://dot.kde.org/1147097810/
:cool:

Show me a photo a Bill Gates or Steve Balmer in a KDE/Gnome/Linux t-shirt and then i'll care......... :mrgreen:

NeghVar
May 8th, 2006, 09:58 PM
Show me a photo a Bill Gates or Steve Balmer in a KDE/Gnome/Linux t-shirt and then i'll care.........

I have one of gates in an apple shirt...

NeghVar
May 8th, 2006, 09:59 PM
Show me a photo a Bill Gates or Steve Balmer in a KDE/Gnome/Linux t-shirt and then i'll care.........

ComplexNumber
May 8th, 2006, 10:05 PM
Mark Shuttleworth wearing a KDE t-shirt being realistic, that doesn't say anything about his viewpoint of kde. its called publicity.

asimon
May 8th, 2006, 11:18 PM
being realistic, that doesn't say anything about his viewpoint of kde. its called publicity.
If one is interested in his viewpoints there is always the option to listen to his speech and look what he does (like for example his announcement that Kubuntu will be on shipit or that Canonical's support extends beyond Gnome).

tikal26
May 9th, 2006, 04:16 AM
I find it encouraging. I don't think that he needed to do this, but he felt compelled to do it and did it.I understand that he decided to use gnome as the base, but is obvius that he listens to the comunity and he undrstands that there is a big community that wants KDE on Ubuntu and I feel that some people are harsh toward kubuntu. Dapper drake is going to be the 3rd release of Kubuntu so it is very new and very stable. I am sure that with the exitment and innovation of KDE 4 kubuntu will gain more supporters and Mark is only trying to provide support for that.

briancurtin
May 9th, 2006, 04:21 AM

if you want the best pizza, choice is eliminated -- chicago style pizza is the best. you dont even need to decide.

:)

professor_chaos
May 9th, 2006, 04:30 AM
if you want the best pizza, choice is eliminated -- chicago style pizza is the best. you dont even need to decide.

:)

And there will never be a single "best" pizza for everyone. Some will swear chicago style is best and others NY, and there will be others who prefer a sandwich. Choice is good. :)

aysiu
May 9th, 2006, 05:41 AM

:) Is Chicago KDE or Gnome?

Christmas
May 9th, 2006, 08:32 AM
Looks like not only ordinary people get drunk...

Kernel Sanders
May 9th, 2006, 11:18 AM
Looks like not only ordinary people get drunk...

:mrgreen:

asimon
May 9th, 2006, 11:28 AM
Is Chicago KDE or Gnome?
It's more like FVWM2.

Kimm
May 9th, 2006, 04:14 PM
I'd like KDE if it used GTK... In my opinion GTK2 is alot more beautifull than Qt.

Although... I'll probably like KDE4...

helpme
May 9th, 2006, 04:19 PM
I'd like KDE if it used GTK... In my opinion GTK2 is alot more beautifull than Qt.

Although... I'll probably like KDE4...
Huh?
You can make look GTK and Qt practically identical.

Kimm
May 9th, 2006, 06:15 PM
Yes, but there are sertain themes for GTK that I want, I dont mind to have some apps look different, but I want most to look like it.

Since I know nothing about theming, and I hear that KDE is difficult to theme, I think I'd have problems doing just that. Although... if someone invents the qt-gtk-engine (as aposed to gtk-qt-engine) gimme a call.

ComplexNumber
May 9th, 2006, 06:54 PM
Yes, but there are sertain themes for GTK that I want, I dont mind to have some apps look different, but I want most to look like it.

Since I know nothing about theming, and I hear that KDE is difficult to theme, I think I'd have problems doing just that. Although... if someone invents the qt-gtk-engine (as aposed to gtk-qt-engine) gimme a call. you could try this (http://www.gnome-look.org/content/show.php?content=6954). note that its an engine and not a theme. therefore you have to "./configure...make...make install" it.

EDIT: on second thoughts, i don't think this is what you're looking for.

helpme
May 9th, 2006, 07:41 PM

Since I know nothing about theming, and I hear that KDE is difficult to theme, I think I'd have problems doing just that. Although... if someone invents the qt-gtk-engine (as aposed to gtk-qt-engine) gimme a call.
So it's not really about GTK or QT, but about certain GTK themes you link not being available for QT.

trandojedi
January 14th, 2009, 11:25 AM
But I would rather see a unification between gnome/gtk and kde/qt. Linux in general would gain from having ONE programming- and user interface

yes. i hope this happens :D.. but there are benifets to competition. like lower prices :P