PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] way to check who is on my home network

orrymr
April 6th, 2011, 08:03 PM
Hi all,
what's the command to check who is currently on my home network?

josephmills
April 6th, 2011, 08:25 PM
there are a bunch of programs for this auto scan is one and it is real easy to use. nmap is one a little harder to use as it is from the cli there is a gui version called zenmap but I have not used it there is also wireshark which is a gui also I like to use auto scan my self

orrymr
April 6th, 2011, 09:26 PM
Thanks.

Say I now want to SSH into another machine (a mac) on my home network, what do I need to know? I know its local IP address is 192.168.0.4 and sudo nmap -O 192.168.0.4
returns:

Nmap scan report for 192.168.0.4
Host is up (0.0017s latency).
Not shown: 997 closed ports
PORT STATE SERVICE
88/tcp open kerberos-sec
548/tcp open afp
3301/tcp open unknown
MAC Address: 00:1E:C2:AE:FB:EE (Apple)
Device type: general purpose
Running: Apple Mac OS X 10.5.X
OS details: Apple Mac OS X 10.5 - 10.6 (Leopard - Snow Leopard) (Darwin 9.0.0b5 - 10.0.0)
Network Distance: 1 hop

So does this now mean I can remotely access this machine through any of those 3 ports? And if so, what is the syntax?

Thanks again

spiky001
April 6th, 2011, 09:49 PM
What are you trying to achieve

orrymr
April 6th, 2011, 10:23 PM
My friend's laptop is at my place, and the only way we can copy data from machine to machine is via a USB stick. My USB stick is 4GB big, which is a problem because we want to transfer a whole lot. I've got a wireless home network, so we figured this would be the best way to move data across. Is there a better way?

decoherence
April 6th, 2011, 11:52 PM
according to your nmap output, the ssh server is not running on your friend's mac. he will have to configure that first, then either give you a user account or give you the credentials for his account. once you've done that, an example syntax for copying files via ssh from your computer to his is

scp yourfile username@192.168.0.4:~/

which will take 'yourfile' from your computer and put it in the home directory of whichever 'username' you provided. to go the other way around and pull a file off your friend's computer, you basically just reverse the order

scp username@192.168.0.4:hisfile ~/

which will dump 'hisfile' in to your home directory.

'hisfile' or 'yourfile' should be replaced with a proper path, ie '~/Documents/MyGreatSpreadsheet.xls' or whatever. in other words, the syntax is 'scp file-to-copy destination-to-copy-to'

As to checking who is on your network, the best way to do this is through your router. The particulars differ by model but in general routers can give you a table, often on a web page for consumer models, that lists the current IP addresses in use and their associated MAC (hardware) addresses.