PDA

View Full Version : boost::filesystem Open all files in directory

ciphermagi
April 6th, 2011, 07:25 PM
I am having an issue opening all of the files in a certain directory using boost. Below is the relevant code:

class characterSet {
vector<int> x;
list<character*> characters;
list<character*>::iterator it;
character *tempChar;
string name, comp, tempStr;
int selection, dice, tempInt;
ofstream mySaveFile;
ifstream myOpenFile;
ostringstream fileName;
void deleteChars();
void saveChars();
void openChars();
void printChars();
void rollChars();
character * newCharacter();
public:
void showMenu();
};

void characterSet::openChars(){
vector<boost::filesystem::path> v;
vector<boost::filesystem::path>::iterator iter;
const boost::filesystem::path p(/*"/home/ciphermagi/Documents/OOP/Michael/save/"*/"save/");
try{
if(exists(p) && is_directory(p)){
copy(boost::filesystem::directory_iterator(p), boost::filesystem::directory_iterator(p), back_inserter(v));
sort(v.begin(), v.end());
for(iter = v.begin(); iter != v.end(); ++iter){
myOpenFile.open(iter->filename()); //This line is broken
it = characters.begin();
while(!myOpenFile.eof()){
myOpenFile >> name;
for(int i = 0; i < 9; i++){
myOpenFile >> tempInt;
x.push_back(tempInt);
}
tempChar = new character(name, x);
cout << "Successfully loaded " << tempChar->charName << endl;
characters.push_back(tempChar);
x.clear();
}
myOpenFile.close();
}
}
else {cout << p << "does not exist.\n";}
}
catch(const boost::filesystem::filesystem_error& ex){
cout << ex.what() << "\n";
}
}The commented line is the line that my linker is pointing to as being bad, with the following output:

/home/*****/Documents/OOP/*****/main.cpp||In member function ‘void characterSet :: openChars()’: |
/home/*****/Documents/OOP/*****/main.cpp|143|error: no matching function for call to ‘std :: basic_ifstream<char, std :: char_traits<char> > :: open(boost :: filesystem3 :: path)’|
/usr/include/c++/4.4/fstream|525|note: candidates are: void std :: basic_ifstream<_CharT, _Traits> :: open(const char*, std :: _Ios_Openmode) [with _CharT = char, _Traits = std :: char_traits<char>]|
||=== Build finished: 1 errors, 0 warnings ===|I've tried converting it into a c_str, as well as using stringstream to stuff a c_str() and then open the output variable from the stringstream. That returned this output:

main.cpp|| undefined reference to `boost :: filesystem3 :: path :: filename() const'|Anybody have any ideas?

GeneralZod
April 6th, 2011, 08:07 PM
The fact std::fstream doesn't accept std::string has always baffled me, but yes, you are correct in that you need to use c_str().

The linker error suggest that you need to link in the Boost filesystem library, which you can probably do by adding something along the lines of

-lboost_filesystem

to your linker flags.

Edit:

Oh, some interesting discussion about fstream and string:

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/32332/why-dont-the-stdfstream-classes-take-a-stdstring

ciphermagi
April 6th, 2011, 10:37 PM
Actually, my #include includes the literal filepath from root of my boost libraries, so I don't think it's a linkage problem.

SledgeHammer_999
April 7th, 2011, 01:29 AM
Actually, my #include includes the literal filepath from root of my boost libraries, so I don't think it's a linkage problem.

You also need to specifically link against the library itself. The header files(through the includes) are just instructions for the compiler/linker on what to expect from the lib or what to search in the lib.

NOTE: Many of the boost libs are headers-only, meaning you don't need an extra library file. Boost.Filesystem isn't one of those. It creates a small library file that you need to link to.(dynamically or statically).