PDA

View Full Version : Skype 2.2 beta released for linux!

rajeev1204
April 6th, 2011, 03:52 PM
After a long long time indeed.

http://www.skype.com/intl/en-us/get-skype/on-your-computer/linux/

enjoy.

Random_Dude
April 6th, 2011, 04:13 PM
Nice. :)
I'm gonna test this one today.

Wasn't the last version also a beta? When will appear a stable version for Linux?

kk0sse54
April 6th, 2011, 04:29 PM
Finally a 64 bit version

NightwishFan
April 6th, 2011, 04:51 PM
Oh, cool. Installers for Debian. =D

Edit: doesn't follow my gtk theme like the static file one. :/

youbuntu
April 6th, 2011, 05:00 PM
Great! How does this differ from the previous (2.1 beta) version? It looks the same (just installed it)...

Random_Dude
April 6th, 2011, 05:05 PM
Great! How does this differ from the previous (2.1 beta) version? It looks the same (just installed it)...

It says improved audio and video quality, not sure if true...

youbuntu
April 6th, 2011, 05:22 PM
It says improved audio and video quality, not sure if true...

We could verify that if the source were viewable :lol:

They say a lot of things. I cannot believe that they still haven't got video calling to Android yet... and iPhone 4 has it. Silly old them.

mikewhatever
April 6th, 2011, 05:27 PM

Here are the release notes.
http://blogs.skype.com/garage/2011/04/skype_22_beta_for_linux_with_s.html?cm_mmc=PXBL|07 00_B6-_-linux-20110406

xc3RnbFO8P
April 6th, 2011, 05:49 PM
Just like 2.1 beta, no one wants to talk to me :)

dh04000
April 6th, 2011, 05:51 PM
This won't install on natty.

NightwishFan
April 6th, 2011, 05:53 PM
It is a known issue. There is a workaround mentioned on the blog posted above.

Just like 2.1 beta, no one wants to talk to me :)
I have a Skype but I only use it for my friends in NZ and Severed Fifth.

sdowney717
April 6th, 2011, 06:18 PM
skype video only works for me if I run it like this
LD_PRELOAD=/usr/lib/libv4l/v4l2convert.so skype

Why cant that line work in the command for a launcher? I had top create an executable text file to run skype.

MadCow108
April 6th, 2011, 06:26 PM
why do they put amd64 in the package name when:
$ file /usr/bin/skype
/usr/bin/skype: ELF 32-bit LSB executable

rudihawk
April 6th, 2011, 06:29 PM
*Busy downloading now*

mikewhatever
April 6th, 2011, 06:30 PM

Why cant that line work in the command for a launcher? I had top create an executable text file to run skype.

Sure it can:

bash -c 'LD_PRELOAD=/usr/lib/libv4l/v4l2convert.so skype'

beew
April 6th, 2011, 06:32 PM
I will wait. Right now Skype is working nicely on 10.10 and I don't want to f it up. :)

Random_Dude
April 6th, 2011, 06:52 PM
I will wait. Right now Skype is working nicely on 10.10 and I don't want to f it up. :)

I though the same, but then the temptation was too much...
Luckily it seems to be working, which is amazing considering my previous luck with skype. :D

Cheers :cool:

false truths
April 6th, 2011, 06:57 PM
I noticed a very important feature that's been added in 2.2 that I was really unhappy about not getting. Conference calling now works in Skype for linux. You can access it from the menu button in the bottom right corner.

mikewhatever
April 6th, 2011, 07:05 PM
I though the same, but then the temptation was too much...
Luckily it seems to be working, which is amazing considering my previous luck with skype. :D

...plus, you can still download the previous version from the partner repository.
http://archive.canonical.com/pool/partner/s/skype/

beew
April 6th, 2011, 07:08 PM
I will test in on my external drive installation first. :)

Random_Dude
April 6th, 2011, 07:14 PM
...plus, you can still download the previous version from the partner repository.
http://archive.canonical.com/pool/partner/s/skype/

My problem is that I had to do some work with the previous version because my camera was upside down, and I was afraid of letting all that effort go to waste. But whatever I did, also seems to be working on this version.

sdowney717
April 6th, 2011, 07:19 PM
Sure it can:

thanks that works.
I would think everyone would have this issue using VFL2

kk0sse54
April 6th, 2011, 09:03 PM
why do they put amd64 in the package name when:
$ file /usr/bin/skype
/usr/bin/skype: ELF 32-bit LSB executable

I noticed that too, so much for my initial hopes of finally forsaking multilib

user1397
April 6th, 2011, 09:18 PM
The only difference I can tell so far is that any right click menu integrates well with the default maverick theme (which I use), unlike 2.1 where I could only see items in the right click menu if I hovered my mouse on them.

NightwishFan
April 6th, 2011, 09:43 PM
Well, in Debian packages designed for amd64 systems (even 32-bit ones) use amd64 in the name.

areteichi
April 7th, 2011, 01:55 AM
Sure it can:

The strange thing is that, as far as I know, this was the only fix Canonical was adding to the official Skype builds. Now they seem to have reintroduced this issue in this latest version...

I hope they'll provide a quick update.

It seems to work fine for me (both official Skype and Canonical version) aside from the minor annoyance mentioned above.

The release note (http://blogs.skype.com/garage/2011/04/skype_22_beta_for_linux_with_s.html?cm_mmc=PXBL|07 00_B6-_-linux-20110406) does list Natty Beta as one of the known issues. It might have worked for me because I already had GDebi installed as mentioned here: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/aptdaemon/+bug/712377

doorknob60
April 7th, 2011, 03:25 AM

It should work if you put env before it:
env LD_PRELOAD=/usr/lib/libv4l/v4l2convert.so skype

beew
April 8th, 2011, 06:03 AM
I installed Skype from the Partner's repo rather than downloading from Skype. Today I got an upgrade automatically through Synaptic. :)

It seems to be working, going to call my parents in the weekend to field test it. :)

Some differences I notice: It connects much faster. The test call voice now actually speaks English, before it was a man's voice which speaks some kind of Slavic language (it greeted me with "Dobileedan" ) On the voice test window there is a box telling me pulse audio is activated and if I want to change the settings I should go to pulse audio volume control. As someone said above conference call in now available, haven't had an occasion to use it though, maybe next week I will have a chance at work..

treesurf
April 8th, 2011, 10:47 AM
I also got an update through the Update Manager. The new version definitely seems to have better quality sound and video, and the small changes to the UI are nice. I haven't had any of the video problems that others have noted, thankfully.

NMFTM
April 8th, 2011, 06:15 PM
Well, in Debian packages designed for amd64 systems (even 32-bit ones) use amd64 in the name.
So, when I apt-get install packages, not all of them are actually for amd64? I thought as long as the source was available, all you had to do was build it with the amd64 switches turned on and that was that.

NightwishFan
April 8th, 2011, 07:13 PM
So, when I apt-get install packages, not all of them are actually for amd64? I thought as long as the source was available, all you had to do was build it with the amd64 switches turned on and that was that.

Some packages are 32-bit, such as flash in Ubuntu (which depends on the 64-bit wrapper), and 32-bit libraries.

Tsu jan
July 1st, 2011, 12:35 PM
Here too, in Debian Wheezy 64bit, it works well and in fact, better than before.

If I didn't try this version, I wouldn't believe that Microsoft (the new owner of Skype) would make any non-Windows version. However, I'm not too optimistic about the future of Skype outside Windows. Although for audio-video chats I prefer to use Google Talk, its audio quality isn't as good as Skype's yet.