PDA

View Full Version : [xubuntu] upgrade yes/no

cheesennacho
April 6th, 2011, 01:02 AM
im running xubuntu 8.04, is there any reason for me to upgrade, any reason at all, what am i missing out on?

Copper Bezel
April 6th, 2011, 01:38 AM
Quite a bit, actually, but wait for the end of this month - the version of the XFCE desktop included with Xubuntu Natty (11.04) is much improved on the one from Maverick (10.10).

3Miro
April 6th, 2011, 03:10 AM
You are missing any security updated and the ability to install new software. Support for 8.04 ends in the end of this month. You can either go with 10.04 (very stable, but overall the same as 8.04) or 11.04 that comes with XFCE 4.8 and many improvements (although it will probably be less stable).

mister_p_1998
April 6th, 2011, 10:27 AM
I'm not updating my Ubuntu Hardy 8.04, far too stable to change.. I'll use the archive repo's for a good while yet. I run lucid at work and find it has quite a few annoying little bugs (.gvfs) and don't see the point in re-installing every 3 years when all is working fine. Its a workhorse running 20 hours a day, no need to change when everything is already running perfectly. Don't need the eye candy. If it aint broke... don't fix it!

Steve

cheesennacho
April 6th, 2011, 02:48 PM
im curious how 10.4 will run on this old laptop, so ill give it a shot. i need a new portable anyway. ive been lurking around ebay waiting for a deal. to be honest though this little laptop runs pretty sweet.

cheesennacho
April 6th, 2011, 05:47 PM
definitely snappier, especially internet connection.