PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] nfs mount broken since upgrading to 11.04

GB_Joe
April 5th, 2011, 11:38 PM
Hello!

I've just upgraded to the 11.04 beta, everything working fine to start with (apart from not being able to find anything in the new interface!), but now, a few days later, the nfs mounts to my NAS are broken.

I've had a quick go at manually mounting; for instance, if I try to mount 192.168.1.1/Public to /home/Public (where it usually is) it says that the mount point doesn't exist. It's not true, I can see it, and if I test it by trying a mkdir it confirms it.

This is a pretty big deal, I've got ALL my stuff on the NAS. I can still see it from my phone and the web interface of the NAS, so I know it's there...

Any thoughts?!? Should I just re-install 10.10 and be patient until the final release comes out?

Cheers!
Joe.

Hedgehog1
April 6th, 2011, 12:11 AM
Just to be sure, did you create a directory in /home called Public first?

That is needed before you do the mount command.

The Hedge

:KS

GB_Joe
April 6th, 2011, 12:01 PM
Yeah - it's been there a couple of years now...!

I did check to make sure it hadn't done a runner, it's still there. I even tried to make it again with mkdir and it told me it was already there.

~Plue
April 6th, 2011, 02:02 PM
I've had a quick go at manually mounting; for instance, if I try to mount 192.168.1.1/Public to /home/Public (where it usually is) it says that the mount point doesn't exist. It's not true, I can see it, and if I test it by trying a mkdir it confirms it.

well, here's a couple of possible user errors;
1. case sensitive name
2. /home/<username>/Public

is it one of those?

areeda
April 6th, 2011, 02:55 PM
I do have nfs working with 11.04, although I haven't been able to get live cd's to work for a couple of days.

Just to be sure you did install the package nfs-common?

sudo apt-get install nfs-common

Joe

GB_Joe
April 6th, 2011, 03:18 PM
I should probably explain that I've got fstab modified to mount my nfs shares on boot; it's been up and running for a good while and it withstood the initial upgrade to 11.04 and first few reboots. I think this should pretty much discount any possible user error (which is good, because in my case it's pretty likely).

I've just tried installing nfs-common, but it's already there.

skralljt
June 29th, 2011, 06:05 PM
My nfs shares stopped mounting too after upgrading to 11.04 and I suspect it may have to do with switching over to nfs version 4. There are all sorts of new options and lines in new conf files to confuse. I gave up and now just use scp or ftp. SMB and NFS now too are such a pain to get working!

asteinmetz
October 3rd, 2011, 03:13 AM
I copied my fstab from 8.whatever LTS and it broke as GB-Joe experienced. installing nfs-common fixed the problem for me.