PDA

View Full Version : Compaq Presario C300 - speakers affect HDD

youbuntu
April 5th, 2011, 11:15 PM
My friend has a Compaq Presario C300, and when he listens to music at moderately loud volumes, using the internal speakers, the hard drive tends to lock up for a few Ms or stutter.

My thinking is that the magnetic field from the built in speakers, is emitting a strong magnetic flux, which is in turn affecting the HDD (located NEXT TO THE INTERNAL SPEAKER! :?)

If anyone has any ideas, I'd be grateful indeed ^_^

Thanks! :)

LowSky
April 5th, 2011, 11:49 PM
get some of those electrostatic bags electronic gear like HD comes in. open laptop. cut bag into a small sheet and wrap speaker or HD.

pi3.1415926535...
April 5th, 2011, 11:50 PM
I have heard of something similar with old Macintosh computers. A solution could be to not use such a high volume, or to use instead headphones or external speakers.

disabledaccount
April 5th, 2011, 11:59 PM
My thinking is that the magnetic field from the built in speakers, is emitting a strong magnetic flux, which is in turn affecting the HDD (located NEXT TO THE INTERNAL SPEAKER! :?)This is impossible.
There are 3 main reasons that can cause HDD lockups/slowdowns in such case:
- damaged/buggy software or codecs, damaged filesystem, wrong/damaged drivers wrong settings (in the player - sometimes it's sufficient to select different output device or change buffers size)
- damaged hdd - check SMART for pending/reallocated sectors number, read/write/UDMA crc errors ("slow" sectors).
- wrong HDD - most today's HDDs have integrated accelerometers that are measuring vibrations. Those results are used both to inform drive that it should correct head position and to inform manufacturer that customer have had kicked the device ( :) ) - check G-Sense Error Rate in SMART. Some HDDs, like first green series from Samsung have buggy firmware that caused serious slowdowns f.e. in situation when 2 drives were mounted close to each other (vibrations).

youbuntu
April 6th, 2011, 12:52 AM
I have heard of something similar with old Macintosh computers. A solution could be to not use such a high volume, or to use instead headphones or external speakers.

I knew someone would mention the old Mac. That is the first thing which I told my friend about (his laptop).

This is impossible.
- damaged/buggy software or codecs, damaged filesystem, wrong/damaged drivers wrong settings (in the player - sometimes it's sufficient to select different output device or change buffers size)
- damaged hdd - check SMART for pending/reallocated sectors number, read/write/UDMA crc errors ("slow" sectors).
- wrong HDD - most today's HDDs have integrated accelerometers that are measuring vibrations. Those results are used both to inform drive that it should correct head position and to inform manufacturer that customer have had kicked the device ( :) ) - check G-Sense Error Rate in SMART. Some HDDs, like first green series from Samsung have buggy firmware that caused serious slowdowns f.e. in situation when 2 drives were mounted close to each other (vibrations).

I agree with your possible causes, but I hardly think my suggestion is "impossible". In fact, it is VERY possible.

disabledaccount
April 6th, 2011, 07:43 AM
I agree with your possible causes, but I hardly think my suggestion is "impossible". In fact, it is VERY possible.
Thanks :)Well, that's your problem - but consider the fact, that *many* laptops have speakers mounted near HDD. Furthermore speakers have relatively low flux density outside - faaaar lower than neodymium magnets that are built in HDD (actuator drive) :)

KiwiNZ
April 6th, 2011, 07:51 AM
This is impossible.

I would tend to agree with this and given that it's a Compaq I would add to list of possible causes...
1 Heat
2 Capacitors

unknownPoster
April 6th, 2011, 09:12 AM
I doubt that any sort of "magnetic flux" is to blame considering the amount of shielding that is put in modern electronics.