PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Tri-monitors with ATI 5870

SinfulAnimosity
April 5th, 2011, 10:58 PM
Greetings,

I have a tri monitor setup with one 5870. One monitor is connected with a DVI to active displayport adapter, one monitor via HDMI, and the third via VGA with a VGA/DVI adapter.

The first one is a 19" Gateway
Second is a 23" Asus
Third is a 20+ AOC

While running Windows, I had the extended desktop go through all three. I had my middle one (Asus) as my main desktop, where the bottom bar was located. I have the Gateway to the left of the Asus, and the AOC to the right of it.

Well, after several crashes with Windows, I decided to get rid of it and go for Ubuntu. I installed the proprietary driver, and got ATI Catalyst settings all set up. However, I discovered through Catalyst that it's only letting me extend two monitors, and have the third be all alone. I tried setting up Xinerama, and making it so the Asus monitor would be the main one, yet I can't get the log in screen to the middle, or have any applications start up there.

Is there anything I can do to fix this? Any settings I may have overlooked? Would an opensource driver be better for me than the proprietary? Also something that might be worth noting is Overscan set to 0%. Otherwise I get a black border around my desktop.