PDA

View Full Version : Why am I unable to boot Fedora off a flash drive on this PC?

Quadunit404
April 5th, 2011, 10:17 PM
Last night I created a Fedora live USB to install on my 16GB Corsair flash drive so I won't have to deal with the freeze-happiness of Windows Explorer on this aging machine and while the live USB itself can boot, the actual installation on the 16GB flash drive will not. Instead, it just boots straight to Windows. I've tried changing the BIOS settings (in whatever limited ways it lets me) and using the Boot menu to select the flash drive, but it just boots straight to Windows. I tried it on my (currently unable to boot due to a lack of power) laptop (before it ran too low on power to boot) and guess what? It worked there. I know that I can boot USB flash drives with Linux installed on them on this old, crappy desktop as I have done so before, but now... :|

Quadunit404
April 6th, 2011, 10:39 PM
*Ahem*

Well, anyone?

C.S.Cameron
April 6th, 2011, 11:27 PM
You could try plop boot manager. it can be run from CD or installed on a hard drive.

Quadunit404
April 7th, 2011, 12:14 AM
I just made a GRUB Boot CD since this PC doesn't want to list more than one USB drive in its Boot Manager. Hopefully it'll work.

EDIT: /brb, flipping the bird at this PC since not even that worked.

Dlambert
April 10th, 2011, 02:48 AM
Any chance its just a bad image?