PDA

View Full Version : Ugh...sometimes I wonder...

Legendary_Bibo
April 5th, 2011, 09:18 PM
So I was sitting in my class, and we had a substitute professor, and she was going to have us watch a video for the class (why my professor didn't just cancel the class for the day is beyond me). The classroom had a Mac that our professor uses to play all her DVDs. So our sub started the video and didn't know how to put it in full screen. So I naturally said press F11. Now I figured this would be a simple instruction, and I had a hangover so I didn't want to get up, but someone else did (our sub was scared because she didn't know what to do) so I figured "great we can move on". Well this other student informed me that this was a Mac and it had an easier way of doing things like that. :confused:

I watched for 10 minutes as 3 students hit the maximize button several times, and dragging the edges to make the video larger.

So I once again said hit F11. One student didn't hit the button, they typed "f", "1", "1", and said "see, it doesn't work!". So then this happened.

Me: See that row of keys on top that starts with F1?

Student: Yeah *hits F1" (I have no idea why)

Me: Okay now hit F11

Student: I see F1 where would F11 be?

Me: Past F1...to the right.

Student: Oh I guess that makes sense (Okay...what? 11>10>9>8...etc.)

Then after the movie they needed to know how to exit full screen mode. I told them to hit the escape key. Then I told them it has "Esc" written on it, and it was on the top left of the keyboard. They started looking on the right side.

I just left.

In hindsight I guess I should have just told them where to point and click, but I figured hitting ONE BUTTON! would have been quicker.

I need a drink...

TeoBigusGeekus
April 5th, 2011, 09:27 PM
You shouldn't have bothered mate...
A good nap with the lights off and a (possibly) hypnotic voice from an educational video seemed a much better alternative to raising your blood pressure.

jtcady
April 5th, 2011, 09:30 PM
I have to agree with you. I don't know how some people get into college. Especially on those first days when students walk into the wrong class even though there is a number on the door.

Legendary_Bibo
April 5th, 2011, 09:37 PM
The sub also said she would probably call IT if the students couldn't get it into fullscreen soon. That's why I spoke up...those guys shouldn't be needed for such tasks.

Legendary_Bibo
April 5th, 2011, 09:38 PM
I have to agree with you. I don't know how some people get into college. Especially on those first days when students walk into the wrong class even though there is a number on the door.

Yeah a lot of the other students in my class were around my age, and one the students helping owned a freaking Mac!

oldos2er
April 5th, 2011, 10:03 PM
I watched for 10 minutes as 3 students hit the maximize button several times, and dragging the edges to make the video larger.

Sounds like you should be teaching this class.

NightwishFan
April 5th, 2011, 10:07 PM
You have no idea how many times ive been there. I just do not bother anymore. :)

Legendary_Bibo
April 5th, 2011, 10:08 PM
Sounds like you should be teaching this class.

It's not a technology class unfortunately. It's an education class.

Timmer1240
April 6th, 2011, 01:24 AM
Ive never owned a mac but I think I could handle that!

youbuntu
April 6th, 2011, 01:51 AM
Don't forget, some people are just used to using a Mac for email/facebook etc. I can forgive someone for not knowing where the F keys are, seriously. Not everyone is a geek - don't forget!

They do sound a little silly, however ^_^

cgroza
April 6th, 2011, 02:32 AM
I don't think those people need a computer after all.

Linye
April 6th, 2011, 02:38 AM
That's a good story to read while high. Thanks for the laugh.

pi3.1415926535...
April 6th, 2011, 05:09 AM
That's a good story to read while high. Thanks for the laugh.

One assumes that you were climbing a mountain.

smellyman
April 6th, 2011, 05:48 AM
I was training a new attorney the other day and he only wanted one folder on his c: drive so he highlighted everything and hit delete.:lolflag:

Rasa1111
April 6th, 2011, 06:05 AM
Bibo, my friend...

Have you not learned yet..
That common sense is all but common?

and that the majority of people in "everyday", "civilized society"
are truly just plain dumb.?

It's true.
Common sense is not common,
and most people are actually just dumb.

Whether their stupidity is of their own doing..
or if they were programmed that way..
Doesn't matter...

The masses are simply dumb!

Legendary_Bibo
April 6th, 2011, 06:20 AM
Bibo, my friend...

It's true.

Doesn't matter...

Well said my friend. On a side note it baffles me how my generation grew up in the dawn of the information age where the internet was beginning to take shape and practically had the entire wealth of human knowledge at the tips of their fingers. It's getting even worse with the newer generation. No one wants to learn, no one wants to think, they just want to be entertained, but not entertained through a hobby. No one has hobbies anymore.

Everyone just wants to have self destructive fun, then once their bodies can't handle the drugs or the alcohol these people wake up one morning realizing that they have nothing left of their lives. They don't have any skills that could have come from those hobbies, and never bothered to try becoming interested in a subject or field while in school so they realize they don't even know themselves. People like this don't even come to this realization until they're too old and too far behind the few kids of my generation that realized this early on and grew up, but its become apparent to me that the future looks even more bleak for the newer generation. They're too focused with their facebooks and texting their friends unintelligible snippets of conversation. It's the future Ray Bradbury pretty much described. We've reached that point.

Riffer
April 6th, 2011, 06:21 AM
It's not a technology class unfortunately. It's an education class.

I'm actually just about falling on the floor laughing. I am a teacher and I know all about Teachers and their precious Macs and how easy they are.

disabledaccount
April 6th, 2011, 08:05 AM
Don't forget, some people are just used to using a Mac for email/facebook etc. I can forgive someone for not knowing where the F keys are, seriously. Not everyone is a geek - don't forget!
Geeks? please... :)
so, if someone knows how to format HDD or change some settings in video player then he is ... what? - a GOD? :)

"Not technology class"? I thought that most peoples can count at least to 20.

It's true.

Doesn't matter...

The masses are simply dumb!+1
.. but in fact nothing to laugh at... tragedy.

HermanAB
April 6th, 2011, 09:59 AM
Well, education will only be successful once everybody is above average...

Giant Speck
April 6th, 2011, 10:10 AM
UGH! Why can't people be as smart as me? It's so frustrating!

slackthumbz
April 6th, 2011, 10:42 AM
I can forgive someone for not knowing where the F keys are

I can't. Especially when they've got F1, F2 etc written on them. The only reason I can think of for not calling someone an idiot in this case is if they were using an unmarked keyboard, you literally have to be blind to miss the F keys.

disabledaccount
April 6th, 2011, 10:48 AM
UGH, those keyboards are very non-intuitive - who could even guess that F11 is placed near F10, not F1...

... really confusing.

:lolflag:

Copper Bezel
April 6th, 2011, 03:53 PM
Everyone just wants to have self destructive fun, then once their bodies can't handle the drugs or the alcohol these people wake up one morning realizing that they have nothing left of their lives. They don't have any skills that could have come from those hobbies, and never bothered to try becoming interested in a subject or field while in school so they realize they don't even know themselves. People like this don't even come to this realization until they're too old and too far behind the few kids of my generation that realized this early on and grew up, but its become apparent to me that the future looks even more bleak for the newer generation. They're too focused with their facebooks and texting their friends unintelligible snippets of conversation. It's the future Ray Bradbury pretty much described. We've reached that point.

I wouldn't blame the drugs. Alcohol especially can be a great catalyst for philosophical debate. I don't care for the rapid-fire, slipshod, quick-judging culture of Facebook and Twitter, but I think it's an expression of something that already existed. There have always been shallow people, and they've always been the majority; now they just have their own YouTube channels.

sydbat
April 6th, 2011, 03:57 PM
I wouldn't blame the drugs. Alcohol especially can be a great catalyst for philosophical debate. I don't care for the rapid-fire, slipshod, quick-judging culture of Facebook and Twitter, but I think it's an expression of something that already existed. There have always been shallow people, and they've always been the majority; now they just have their own YouTube channels.++

Legendary_Bibo
April 6th, 2011, 05:26 PM

I apologize, I hadn't realized that what I thought was a simple instruction was actually on par with rocket science. My bad. :rollseyes:

Random_Dude
April 6th, 2011, 05:36 PM
That's nothing.
I've seen a Professor who couldn't maximize a window. Not fullscreen, maximize!!

mips
April 6th, 2011, 06:09 PM
Well said my friend. On a side note it baffles me how my generation grew up in the dawn of the information age where the internet was beginning to take shape and practically had the entire wealth of human knowledge at the tips of their fingers. It's getting even worse with the newer generation. No one wants to learn, no one wants to think, they just want to be entertained, but not entertained through a hobby. No one has hobbies anymore.

In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king.

Use it to your advantage in life ;)

Thewhistlingwind
April 6th, 2011, 08:56 PM
Bibo, my friend...

It's true.

Doesn't matter...

People use the wrong sense of the word "common" when applying it to sense itself, ironically enough, common sense is common to all people, but not necessarily commonly used. That takes work. Like building a personality takes work, to truly stand out from the crowd, you've got to have something that makes you you. As Bibo pointed out, good hobbies are becoming less common all the time, and one of the better ways to start off with learning a real skill. (And learning about yourself in the process) As a result, you have kids wasting 18 years of free room and board on the transient and temporary.

What made them dumb? Other people who are dumb. If you make your hobby dealing with systems meant to store, transport, and manipulate information, a little bit of that's gonna rub off on you. If you make your hobby following celebrities on twitter, well, we've all seen tabloids at the checkout isle. If your friends already have a personality, they'll encourage you to build one too. ("Smart" and "Personality" are usually synonyms in my book.) By contrast, if your friends are "shallow" (I normally characterise this with a love of idle chat, and a tendency to have done nothing useful in the past decade.) then prepare to get really good at conversation and smalltalk. (And not the programming language, either.)

If your parents have a personality, chances are you'll end up with one too, if they don't, you'll have to go get one on your own. The problem with that is theres no tutorial at the start of life that says "You should focus on building yourself as a person so you have something to contribute." you have to figure it out on your own, slowly, or quickly, a lot of people never do. (I like to think of this as a classic example of "the annoying ten percent of the crowd may as well be ninety percent.") If only a fraction of people are actually dumb, then why were the kids helping so incompetent? Simple, The dunning-kruger effect (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dunning%E2%80%93Kruger_effect). I'm sure there were plenty of other kids in the room who could have helped, but were apathetic. (I've been one of them, many times.)

So really, I'll commend you for caring enough to help, but sometimes you need to let somebody waste the IT guys time, after all, it's their job to have idiocy make their blood boil, not yours.