PDA

View Full Version : Which Linux Distro

meddyuk
April 5th, 2011, 07:20 PM
Hi there.

I currently have a Fujitsu Siemens Amilo Pro, Intel Celeron M 390 / 1.7 GHz with 700mb of ram.

Installing Ubuntu 10.10 is proving to be quite troublesome due to the VIA onboard graphics card.

I wondered if anyone recommended a suitable Linux Distro to install on the hard drive. It must be able to cope with Emesene or Pidgin and be able to cam via skype.

Im running puppy linux as an alternative, but this just a temporary measure as you can't webcam on puppy. Plus i want something grown up like ubuntu!

Any suggestions?

DaveMcC
April 5th, 2011, 07:25 PM
MintOS

Joe of loath
April 5th, 2011, 07:47 PM
Lubuntu.

Will be really fast, and will hopefully work.

If not, it might be a good idea trying Debian, or maybe Fedora.

meddyuk
April 13th, 2011, 03:16 PM
Any other takers?

rosencrantz
April 13th, 2011, 06:11 PM
+1 on Lubuntu. The Ubuntu family is better than most with hardware compatibility issues, so I don't think you will solve your graphics issues with a different distribution.
Lubuntu because LXDE is lightweight and fairly recent. Full-blown Gnome or KDE might be a bit sluggish on your hardware.

kaldor
April 13th, 2011, 06:13 PM
Mint and *buntu are the same thing as Ubuntu. Won't fix your issue.

Try Fedora or openSUSE; they're mainstream and not Ubuntu-based.

josephmills
April 13th, 2011, 06:19 PM
I also thiught that Ubuntu was hard to use non-user friendly. but after tring to play with mint and suse and mand red hay puppy and so on I am back to ubuntu with my tail between my legs there is a reason why it won linux distro of the year because it is so cool. As far as your gfx card could you pot
lspcixubuntu is nice too.

rosencrantz
April 13th, 2011, 06:22 PM
Mint and *buntu are the same thing as Ubuntu. Won't fix your issue.

Try Fedora or openSUSE; they're mainstream and not Ubuntu-based.
I love openSuSE, but it's a rather temperamental distribution, especially with respect to hardware compatibility.
Anyway, it never hurts to try out a live system (on a stick if your machine supports USB boot).
http://spins.fedoraproject.org/
The official SuSE doesn't feature a live LXDE, but there are several SuSE Studio builds for it.
http://software.opensuse.org/114/en
http://susegallery.com/search?q=lxde

Bapun007
April 13th, 2011, 06:29 PM
try debian . It works better then ubuntu on old hardware.

XubuRoxMySox
April 13th, 2011, 06:30 PM
Xubuntu Natty runs fine on my 'puter which is even more modest than yours, does all the above, and runs quick 'n' sweet! I'm sure Lubuntu will too, but Xubuntu Natty has some cool features and more functionality and versatility.

Linux Mint is more than "just Ubuntu in green skin" now. The international version (built on Ubuntu) has all kindsa multimedia codecs and stuff pre-installed which might be helpful.

The Debian versions of Linux Mint (LMDE and the latest Xfce edition) have been problematic, judging by all the "this and that doesn't work on LMDE/Xfce" threads in their forums. But the main edition and Xfce Mint 9 (Isadora) are Ubuntu-based and much more trouble-free. Linux Mint Xfce 9 (built on Xubuntu 10.04 LTS) ran superbly on my old dinosaur as well.

-Robin

Perfect Storm
April 13th, 2011, 08:25 PM
Moved to Other OS/Distro Talk.

NightwishFan
April 14th, 2011, 02:43 AM
try debian . It works better then ubuntu on old hardware.

I agree. Debian 6 is awesome. On any distro you may get better mileage if you boot with xforcevesa and nomodeset (if those are still the right commands).

unknownPoster
April 14th, 2011, 03:08 AM
Try Fuduntu, it's optimized for netbooks, which aren't computing powerhouses, as such it runs well on limited/old hardware. I've also found it to be a ridiculously fast distribution for desktops as well.

You can find the link in my signature. :)

kn0w-b1nary
April 14th, 2011, 03:19 AM
Xubuntu 10.10
Debian 6 with XFCE

LXDE is faster, but I think it gives up too much functionality.

mips
April 14th, 2011, 09:22 AM
I currently have a Fujitsu Siemens Amilo Pro, Intel Celeron M 390 / 1.7 GHz with 700mb of ram.

Any suggestions?

Which model Fujitsu Siemens Amilo Pro do you have as there were several (V1000, V2035, V3505 etc) different ones?

You could try this http://www.via.com.tw/en/support/drivers.jsp

aenemic
April 14th, 2011, 03:51 PM
I'm asking myself this very same question as I'm having some complete system freeze issues with Ubuntu 10.10 that I'm close to quitting on trying to solve.

I have an ASUS 1201N and was thinking of trying Elementary OS, I know it's built around 10.10, but would it be worth a shot?

Joe of loath
April 14th, 2011, 04:13 PM
If Ubuntu is problematic, moving to another Ubuntu based distro won't solve your problem. Try Debian or Fedora, depending on whether you want stability or up to date software.

aenemic
April 14th, 2011, 04:31 PM
What about OpenSuse? I mainly use my laptop for surfing and as a "media centre". I don't really run any media centre applications, but playing 720/1080p is kind of a requirement.

Joe of loath
April 14th, 2011, 04:51 PM
Download the image, stick it on a USB stick and see :D

aenemic
April 14th, 2011, 04:53 PM
I might just do that today! :)

RJQ
April 14th, 2011, 05:23 PM
If Ubuntu is problematic, moving to another Ubuntu based distro won't solve your problem. Try Debian or Fedora, depending on whether you want stability or up to date software.

Agree with Joe, most of the mayor distributions use the same pieces of software therefore any hardware issue would pop up in all of them, my recommendation is to stick with the LTS ubuntu, most of the times changing a window manager or DE does not solve this issues either. If you want something really light and keep just the software you really need I would give a try to archlinux... good luck!!;)

XubuRoxMySox
April 14th, 2011, 05:34 PM
Agreed with above! Most distros have a hardware compatibility page that lists what hardware is best suited to the distro.

I loved PCLinuxOS, for example, but on my hardware it was problematic. The Debian-based distros run great on it, but some the rpm distros did not. Salix (Slackware) wouldn't even install. But checking for hardware compatibility first might save you abuncha heachaches.

-Robin

aenemic
April 14th, 2011, 06:24 PM
My laptop is supposed to run fine on ubuntu, could always be I have som hardware fault, but havent had any problems in windows. And if there was a hardware problem it should have popped up there as well I'd think.

Anyway, I'm giving openSUSE a try tonight. If that does not work, I'll move on. It's fun and games trying different distroes anyway. Summer is around so I don't need my computer for THAT much now a days anyway!

aenemic
April 14th, 2011, 07:34 PM
Btw, Gnome or KDE for OpenSUSE? OR is that just my preferences?

rosencrantz
April 14th, 2011, 11:11 PM
It's probably pretty much your preference. I don't think either is particularly lightweight.
SuSE has always been a strong KDE supporter, which should be an argument in favour. I've never really used Gnome, so I'm probably a bit biased.
If you'd like to try out more desktop environments, I can recommend SuSE studio, where people can create their own live CDs.
Either build one yourself or use somebody else's from the gallery if you want to try something like LXDE on SuSE.
I'd try an official LiveCD first though to sort out possible hardware issues.

wojox
April 14th, 2011, 11:16 PM
Arch/Openbox ;)

aenemic
April 15th, 2011, 02:31 PM
Running OpenSUSE now at home, solved the problems I had in Ubuntu, so far I'm pleased. Some trouble with the nvidia prop. drivers and hooking my TV-up. But should get it solved today! :)

linuxmaniack
April 15th, 2011, 04:25 PM
Ether Linux Mint or Lubuntu. Lubuntu can run on a old computer/low powered pc. But Linux mint can run on lower range pcs aswell. I would reccommed having Lubuntu on it though

fuduntu
April 15th, 2011, 04:56 PM
Try Fuduntu, it's optimized for netbooks, which aren't computing powerhouses, as such it runs well on limited/old hardware. I've also found it to be a ridiculously fast distribution for desktops as well.

You can find the link in my signature. :)

+1 - We are using a newer kernel ( 2.6.38 ) so you may have better luck with your hardware..

wolfen69
April 15th, 2011, 09:05 PM
My laptop is supposed to run fine on ubuntu, could always be I have som hardware fault, but havent had any problems in windows. And if there was a hardware problem it should have popped up there as well I'd think.

That's not always the case. I had a computer once that had major problems running xp, (which it came with) and yes I tried 3 clean installs with all the proper drivers. But it ran like crap. I then tried ubuntu on it, and all was well. Don't assume that windows is always perfect, or that it can't be a hardware problem.

If there is a hardware problem, sometimes one OS will react more favorably than another.

dazndom
April 16th, 2011, 11:32 AM
you could try Foresight linux

or my favourite at the moment is OzUnity, but it's buntu....

Ultimate Edition is another ubunutu but you can download older editions too.
which gets me too - older editions of ubuntu will work better..
iknow that xubuntu 9.04 runs great on my 9yr old dell laptop with built in graphics
ozunity and U-E have a great little forum,
been very helpful to me

linuxyogi
April 22nd, 2011, 05:22 AM
I have VIA graphics too.

Just install Lucid or Maverick & install Fluxbox.

krapp
April 22nd, 2011, 07:25 AM
http://www.debian.org/CD/live/

Burn the LXDE or XFCE images to disc and give them a go.

samacaster
April 24th, 2011, 08:47 AM
Real Lightweight? Go with Mepis or AntiX. Both will work on computers with as little as 128 MB ram. IceWM and Fluxbox

Spice Weasel
April 24th, 2011, 11:06 AM
If you want to go lightweight, you might as well go extremely lightweight..

Alpine Linux. 10mb CLI, 35mb GUI.

Rubi1200
April 24th, 2011, 11:11 AM
I thought Alpine was intended more for routers, firewalls etc.?
http://distrowatch.com/table.php?distribution=alpine

Spice Weasel
April 24th, 2011, 11:26 AM
Nothing is stopping you from running it on a PC.

KMandla's done a nice blog entry on it:

http://kmandla.wordpress.com/2010/12/02/also-not-a-joke-xfce-on-39mb/

NormanFLinux
April 24th, 2011, 01:11 PM
Linux Mint "Julia" 10 GNOME runs beautifully on even very limited resource computers. I'm running Unity 2D on top of GNOME on my netbook and its a fast and stable operating system. And you can install additional software from the entire Ubuntu universe and third party repositories! :)

Rubi1200
April 24th, 2011, 02:44 PM
Nothing is stopping you from running it on a PC.

KMandla's done a nice blog entry on it:

http://kmandla.wordpress.com/2010/12/02/also-not-a-joke-xfce-on-39mb/
Thanks for the link Spice Weasel; very interesting indeed :)

HunkirDowne
April 25th, 2011, 01:50 AM
Some pretty good ideas already but thought I'd throw my own experience in the mix. I have some pretty old laptops (2004 vintage) that have 512MB RAM 20GB HDD Pentium III and P-IV processors.

Distros:
Kubuntu 10.x was challenging but ran. Part of this was due to KDE4 (see Desktops below) which has vastly improved over time so I should probably give it another go with Kubuntu (latest).

Ubuntu 9.x-10.x (GNOME) doesn't run well -- locks up a lot.

Linux Mint: A little better but not with GNOME. Xfce or KDE only.

Linux Mint Debian: GNOME = no go. (see Desktops) Even tried Xfce but couldn't get it to run right. Finally converted over to KDE but still a no go. Almost anything "GNOME"ish was too much of a challenge.

Debian "Lenny" (KDE 3.5): No problems whatsoever.

Debian "Squeeze" (KDE 4): Only recently has this run well.

Aptosid (KDE 4): No problems with Sidux (predecessor). Had some issues when the name changed to Aptosid but this might have been more due to the changes in KDE 4 than to Aptosid itself.

Desktops:
I haven't tried GNOME 3 or Unity.

GNOME 2.x just became unusable. (Bloat?) Did not dare use any Compiz or any other 'special' features.

KDE 3.5 ran (and runs) fine but without special features.

KDE 4 ran, then didn't, now runs fine.

Xfce: Runs great most of the time if part of the original installation (Xubuntu, for instance). With the exception of Xubuntu 10.x (didn't keep it long enough to troubleshoot) I haven't had problems with a default install.

After having had problems with GNOME (v2) and searching for solutions, then loading KDE on a lark, I have come to prefer KDE as my Desktop Environment. Purely personal preference. I haven't tried GNOME 3 yet but I should (and soon).

Debian Stable is just that, stable. Usually rock-solid but certainly not the bleeding edge. Fedora does offer more of the bleeding edge but as purely personal preference, I prefer Debian's arrangement, package management, and command structure (I came from RedHat to Debian via SuSE and Debian immediately felt more natural to me than the other two (or three: slackware)).

Aptosid and Mepis (both KDE, note my bias) are both wonderful derivations of Debian that seem to run well on old hardware as well as provide more of a bleeding edge. Linux Mint runs fine as well when installing KDE. I really like the Linux Mint Debian concept but GNOME and my old hardware do not get along and I wasn't (smart enough?) able to get it converted to KDE well enough to keep it.

Now that I have a newer laptop (running Wubi/Kubuntu 10.04) I might start trying out some of the newer Desktop Environments like GNOME 3 or Unity. But until I have the time to devote to switching this box over, I will just run Wubi on this and Debian/Aptosid on the older boxes.

eolson
May 1st, 2011, 01:56 AM
Another option that is interesting ins Crunch Bang. I have it on one of my netbooks and am getting to like it a bit more every day. A bit different, but in a nice sort of way methinks. Don't blame me, I didn't name it.

http://crunchbanglinux.org/

manzdagratiano
May 1st, 2011, 09:06 PM
Problematic hardware =>

1) Arch Linux - their repos are as vast as Ubuntu's; what's not in the main repo is in the AUR
2) Debian Squeeze; though I doubt if Ubuntu is giving you problems Debian will be better - it has always been the opposite case for me, which is why I switched to Ubuntu in the first place.

Linux is my home
May 1st, 2011, 10:33 PM
Hi there.

Installing Ubuntu 10.10 is proving to be quite troublesome due to the VIA onboard graphics card.

I wondered if anyone recommended a suitable Linux Distro to install on the hard drive. It must be able to cope with Emesene or Pidgin and be able to cam via skype.

Im running puppy linux as an alternative, but this just a temporary measure as you can't webcam on puppy. Plus i want something grown up like ubuntu!

Any suggestions?

I am very upset with you point of view. How can you judge a totally different distribution in a such small period. Of course Linux is not Windows and Windows is not Linux and this is great. If you really want to give Linux a chance, you have to intensify your researches and maybe fiend the many great aspects about Linux. - The positive thing about Linux is, that you have a wide range of different distributions. So, if you don't like Ubuntu, you can try a different one. - As for the gaming and photo-adding thing you could install Windows beside Linux.

What do you thing about that?

plurworldinc
May 4th, 2011, 01:38 PM
Ubuntu Ultimate Edition across the board for me. I love using Ubuntu, but when it comes to helping my friends discover Linux, I have found that Ultimate Edition just gives you a wider range of possibilities right now of the box for me. Plus I love the feel of it.

stber321
May 9th, 2011, 10:25 PM
Hi there.

Any suggestions?

mint debian GNU/Linux

DevinJCan
May 10th, 2011, 06:38 AM
I recently installed Xubuntu on a family member's Dell Dimension 3000. This computer has 512mb of ram and a 1.8GHz processing power. Everyone who has used the machine agrees that it works great. I recommend it to you as a friend. Xubuntu is a solution for lower power / older machines!

NormanFLinux
May 11th, 2011, 02:49 AM
The various flavors of PCLOS. RPM-based but has apt-get and Synaptic so someone coming from Debian/Ubuntu will feel right at home with it.

Z06Gal
May 11th, 2011, 04:46 AM
I had all sorts of issues with ubuntu so I gave up and installed mint and it has been flawless. In my opinion, Clem does a great job with it. It is the easiest distro I have tried but that is just me. Try several and see what you think. ;)